"Why do only some kids have to go to summer school?" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the question my 10yo DS asked me last night when he was going to bed. He does pretty well in school, but has always been right at the standards, so we worry about retention over the summer. Our school district has summer school for two weeks in June and two weeks in August, 3 hours a day. His teachers thought he might benefit from coming to this second session to give him a jump start on the school year.

He has gone three days and really enjoyed it, he has friends there, loves the teacher, they are getting to experiment with technology before the rest of the students (the school acquired an ipad lab over the summer!) and they have been able to work outside often as well. So I was surprised when he asked me this question last night, and I know he was mostly referring to his sister who is not going.

How would you respond to this? I don't want him to think he isn't a smart kid or that he is being picked on. I told him the teachers have meetings and decide which kids would benefit from summer school. I said all kids learn differently and that summer school is helpful for some, but not as helpful for others. Do you think that is a good answer? What else could I have said?

It breaks my heart to see him questioning himself greensad.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"To practice learning. " Some kids need more practice than others.

My freshman son took a big snooze in his regular classes this spring. We had him go to one session of summer school to try and save his GPA.
#3 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM

I agree with the previous poster for explaining why some kids have to and some don't.

My son had to take extra reading support during the year and asked why some kids don't have to, and I told him that kids who have older brother or sister get practice from them... his sister has probably paid attention when you've explained homework to him, or helped him spell or read. Younger kids get a boost that older kids don't. He seemed to accept that explanation and not feel bad about it.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Most kids don't HAVE to.  But, sometimes parents would like our kids to have a jumpstart before the next grade.  

Besides, I took summer school because it was fun.  I also went to day camp and sleep away camp.  Because I liked having something to do in the summer.

#5 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Well my son loves classes and getting him to take a break is like pulling teeth.  Granted DS isn't in a traditional school but I needed to put in a vacation request so he would STOP continual classes for a couple weeks.

Some kids go to summer school because they want to, some kids go because its quasi daycare, some kids go because it gives them a head start to next year, some go to finish up last year,  some go so they can 'skip' a year, there are a million reasons why kids go to summer school.

So in your case I would say 'you got to go to SS to get a jump start on next year, how cool is that!'

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

i would actually go back and ask him why he asked that question. its still not too late to do that. 

it might be a closed deal for him. it could be 'i was just curious' or it could be something else. 

i'd ask. 

One_Girl likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'd personally explain it to your DS like this. "This year, there was something interesting and useful for you at summer school. Some years there might not be. It all depends on the kid and what they offer that year. Maybe next year, there will be something useful for your sister. This year, there wasn't." Just keep it matter-of-fact as it is the truth. Summer school isn't about him being dumb. THIS summer, there was something DS could use. Simple as that.

Summer school doesn't have to have a stigma attached. Both my kids (6th and 10th grades) have done occasional summer school classes. For them, it was about moving ahead or getting a jumpstart into a new program but it's always been useful and they've always been happy they did it come the Fall.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page