Help to read - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son age 6 (September birthday) was homeschooled but joined school for the last 8 weeks of summer term. He will be carrying on this septmber. But he cannot read very well. He knows his basic phonics but not many sight words nor english language rules. All the other children in his class can read and he seems to be struggling with this aspect in school. He is given a reading book every day to do which is good but this will not help him develop with his phonics rules. So I need to do a reading program with him at home to help him. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can use to help him learn to read?

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#2 of 7 Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM

The BOB books are a phonics based series; I have set 1 which I think includes 16 books. The books also include advice on helping them learn the material.

I've also used the Leap Frog DVDs (they may be cheaper on amazon-I've bought a lot of used DVDs through amazon and haven't had any problems); I have Lettery Factory, Talking Words Factory, Code Word Caper, and Learn to Read at the Storybook Factory (covers recognizing punctuation and reading sentences with proper inflection). The Talking Words Factory does review the alphabet letter sounds so you could possibly skip the Letter Factory. I also have the two DVD School House Rock set which is great for grammar. These may be available at your library and through Netflix.

I was slow to learn to read as a child, so I started collecting those DVDs (in addition to the old Electric Factory) when ds was still in diapers bag.gif.

Ds also benefited a lot from my reading Dr. Seuss to him and the tongue twister books (like Fox in Socks) were his favorite. My two also love StarFall; it does come on a DVD (which is really pricey) but the same material is available for free online.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 7 Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM

The Starfall.com website is also good for this.

Our library has a copy of Hooked on Phonics, but I've never used it, so I have no idea how good it is. But you might check with the children's librarian at your library and see what they have.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#4 of 7 Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Comics-Teeny-Genie-Level/dp/1584768134

Check out Phonics Comics (I linked to a random one above). Both of my kids really liked them. Our library has a bunch. Our library also has all of these early/easy readers separated out. It may be worth seeing if any of your local libraries have a section like this.

-e

kvklay likes this.

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM

I used the book "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" to teach each of my three boys to read.  http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985

It is a very systematic approach.  at your child's age, the first few lessons will be way too easy.  don't skip them, just do a few at a time.  they get much harder as you go but totally do-able.  my boys all did very well with this book.  we did it for about 15 min a night for about 3 months and by the end of it they had a great command of phonics and reading.

I personally loved it because I am a very methodical person and I like to see progress.  We made a little chart and put a sticker on it each time we finished a lesson. 

Also, I didn't learn to read/write in english until I was 8 and never got any of the phonics/rules explained to me (I was just trying to catch up with the other kids) so I learned a ton doing this book, lol.

kvklay likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Comics-Teeny-Genie-Level/dp/1584768134

Check out Phonics Comics (I linked to a random one above). Both of my kids really liked them. Our library has a bunch. Our library also has all of these early/easy readers separated out. It may be worth seeing if any of your local libraries have a section like this.

-e

better to buy this book, I guess.

Thanks

R.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM

We love Reading Eggs (online). My daughter had big resistance to me helping her directly with a lot of phonics. She would choose to do the same levels of Starfall over and over again because she likes to get things right. Reading Eggs moves your child through a series of progressive lessons. It works very well for kids who need a little push to move ahead.

There is also a free trial. I think it's 6 weeks.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page