How long do kids have snack time? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 101 Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

i wonder if that is the reason why our school district only allows snacks for K. any kids requiring snacks after that has to get a letter from home.

dd has never taken snacks and didnt need to. neither did i. dd does eat a hearty breakfast. somedays she just eats her fruit for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

I know I'm in the minority, but I think snack time is silly for kids over K age. I never had it when I was a kid and I doubt most of us did at that age. Snacking has been suggested as a major culprit in the childhood overweight and obesity rate (more than 30%).

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#92 of 101 Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It has been proven that humans should be grazers and eat small meals or snacks throughout the day (about 6 of them) instead of 3 big meals.  My son eats at 7 then has recess at 10 that is 3 hours...lunch is at 12 (5 hours) that is a longtime without food.  I think that kids may have weight problems not because there is snack time...but because parents look at snacks as being "treats". A small yogurt or a piece of fruit is a healthy snack that will give them the extra energy to keep going. Then after school my son has a snack or finishes what's left in his lunch box.  I work til 6 and get home around 630 so dinner isn't until 7.  Again 12-7 is too long to wait

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#93 of 101 Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Being realistic, most kids need some sort of snack between meals - their bodies use so much energy just growing. Add in any additional activity, they need even more. My kids both had snack-time through elementary. In MS, they didn't, and technically weren't supposed to eat in the halls between classes, but most teachers turned a blind eye to granola bars, etc. As long as they didn't drop trash all over, it wasn't a big deal. Same in HS. My daughter (who is a huge eater) was lucky enough to have teachers who had no problem with students eating in class, and she took full advantage of that. Pretty much, she would take two full meals (one for during lunch, and one during one of her classes), plus a carb-heavy snack for the ride back (before practice), and some cheese/crackers, fruit or veggies for in-between. And yes, she ate a good breakfast every morning (usually some variation of a homemade breakfast sandwich - english muffin, eggs, sausage/bacon, cheese... x's 2).

#94 of 101 Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

you know its interesting eating personalities.

dd was a grazer till she was about 4. at 4 she changed to meals. and here is the thing. by 1st grade she had to change to an early morning person. before that she was a late morning person. she now does better with 3 meals instead of 6. gosh if she had a hearty breakfast which would be around 7 she just eats a fruit at lunch and eats big after she gets home at 3. and then a light dinner. however at 10 the difference i notice these days are dd's portion sizes have gone down. she takes a much smaller lunch these days than she did from 1st to 4th. 

when i am active with a full day - running to many appointments - i only get hungry around 2 and that was all i ate the whole day. i just wasnt hungry. i did that for YEARS. BUt when i had a sedentary job i'd be grazing the whole day. now i do 3 meals and i dont need a snack.

here is another thing i have discovered. sometimes - both dd and me have the time to eat a giant breakfast. literally eating our main meal with dinner foods, not bfast foods (which then becomes our dinner). our eating for the day goes so much differently. it is something i'd like to do on a regular basis. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#95 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Dd's school is pre-K through 5th, and they have snack all the way through. The school offers reasonably healthy stuff--usually something crunchy, like brown rice cakes, plus a fruit or veggie (apples, bananas, oranges, tomatoes, cucumber). Sometimes they get baby carrots with hummus. 

We just looked at a middle school that has big boxes of apples and bananas out all day. When the kids are transitioning between classes, they can grab a piece of fruit if they're hungry. 

#96 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

I didn't have snack time after like kindergarten, but my dd is in 4th grade and still having daily snacks. I wonder if kids are too reliant on snacks. She has a good breakfast and IMO should be able to go through to lunch. She doesn't need a mid-morning snack during the summer - she's too busy playing. I'm just questioning the need, and wondering when it ends.

I haven't read the whole thread but I kind of feel this way too. Often DC will have a chewy type granola bar between breakfast and lunch because so many parents feel strongly about snack. It kind of bugs me. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#97 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

For young kids, their parents are responsible for them eating breakfast, but at some point it's the kid's responsibility to eat breakfast before school. If my dd didn't eat breakfast, she'd be hungry during school, and the next day she'd probably eat breakfast.

I never ate breakfast when I was in high school. I was always hungry for a lot of the morning. I still never ate breakfast. I still don't eat first thing in the morning, because even the idea of food first thing in the morning makes me feel ill.

Everybody's different. Going from breakfast to lunch without snack may work for your dd, but that doesn't mean it works for everybody.

Snacks have become kind of out of control, I think...but I mostly worry about the content of most snacks, not the timing. If my kids want a snack, they can get nuts, cheese, veggies, fruit (fresh or dried), yogurt, etc. They're not chowing down on chips, cheesies, etc. I really don't worry about it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#98 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I haven't read the whole thread but I kind of feel this way too. Often DC will have a chewy type granola bar between breakfast and lunch because so many parents feel strongly about snack. It kind of bugs me. 

Quoting myself like a dork to clarify something. My DC's school does group snack (all grades K-5) so the parents contribute money or a bulk snack. Therefore, we have little control over snack other than the ones we provide for the entire class. It bums me out that DC gets a filling snack (anytime) before lunch. I really wish they would just do a "everybody bring your own snack" type thing. It would simplify so many issues that have come up over the years. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#99 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Snacking has been suggested as a major culprit in the childhood overweight and obesity rate (more than 30%).

Many of the snacks I've seen young kids eating, both in school and out, are lacking in anything but carbs (in the form of sugar), trans fats and calories. When ds1 was in kindergarten, I ran into another mom in the grocery store. I was in the candy aisle (indulging in one of my binges, as I do have food issues), and she said, "yeah - just picking out a snack for M's lunch box". She was buying full size chocolate bars - around 250-300 calories each, and almost all of that sugar. I mentioned it to ds1 (not naming the kid) and he said, "yeah - about half the class brings that kind of stuff". DS1's snack was usually a half cup of kiwi chunks, or broccoli florets. One of his friends brought an apple, orange or banana every day.  The kind of snack makes a big difference.

And, fwiw, the skinniest of my kids is the one who has always grazed, barely eats full meals, but snacks multiple times a day.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#100 of 101 Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think they "should be left to find their own breakfast at a certain point." I think that if someone else isn't getting them breakfast together, at some point of age they should have the ability to take on that responsibility. 4th graders are 9 years old. Kids that age are able to put a breakfast together if they need to. They aren't helpless. I think older kids are sometimes infantilized.

I have to agree with this. Sometimes, dh gets up and works from home on the computer, so I sleep in a little. If the kids get up before he leaves (he wakes me up when he goes), dd1 (9) gets her own breakfast and gets breakfast for dd2, and ds2 (7) gets his own. And, years ago, when ds1 was in first grade, I had to leave for work before he got up in the morning (he wasn't alone - my babysitter lived upstairs and was awake when I left). He got up, got dressed, got his breakfast (although I had put milk in a small jug that was easy for him to pour before I left) and then went upstairs. He was only six.

#101 of 101 Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Many of the snacks I've seen young kids eating, both in school and out, are lacking in anything but carbs (in the form of sugar), trans fats and calories. When ds1 was in kindergarten, I ran into another mom in the grocery store. I was in the candy aisle (indulging in one of my binges, as I do have food issues), and she said, "yeah - just picking out a snack for M's lunch box". She was buying full size chocolate bars - around 250-300 calories each, and almost all of that sugar. I mentioned it to ds1 (not naming the kid) and he said, "yeah - about half the class brings that kind of stuff". DS1's snack was usually a half cup of kiwi chunks, or broccoli florets. One of his friends brought an apple, orange or banana every day.  The kind of snack makes a big difference.

And, fwiw, the skinniest of my kids is the one who has always grazed, barely eats full meals, but snacks multiple times a day.

yeahthat.gif My ds is skinny (as opposed to dd who I'd just call slim) and he is a grazer. I also see what a lot of children at their school bring for lunch and my children bring it up from time to timeeyesroll.gif.

I see that the "big breakfast" idea keeps coming up headscratch.gif as if it is "the" solution. My 6yo dd has never been an early breakfast eater, it gives her a tummy ache; actually we are all like that, but dd is the "worst." It is a challenge to have her eat enough that her stomach isn't making noises before lunch. In the past I've packed an extra granola bar because she was hungry once she got to school, though she's also not eaten at snack time because she wasn't hungry shrug.gif.

I finally lost 15lbs that I'd been wanting to loose for a couple years and the key to keeping it off (in addition to cutting portion sizes, a lot less sugar, and little to no bread) has been healthy snacking so I'm not "starving" at meal times.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page