Would you feel a little weird about this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post

By the way, American history starts in FIFTH grade at the schools in my state, and my daughter is in Kindergarten.

Just out of curiousity... what do you tell your daughter about Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Day, and all of the other "memorial" days we celebrate as a nation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post

Just out of curiousity... what do you tell your daughter about Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Day, and all of the other "memorial" days we celebrate as a nation?

Well, so far she has heard from us that the Fourth of July is a celebration of our country's independence, that Presidents' Day honors the people who have led said country, that MLK was a great man who stood up for freedom and compassion toward all people, and she doesn't know what Memorial Day or Labor Day are because she's too young to get it.  What do you tell YOUR very young children about these things?

When I posted that sentence you quoted, I was responding to some unreasonable criticism from another poster, who questioned my so-called "assumption" that my daughter wouldn't learn about 9/11 in History class.  I was pointing out that History class is not where she would be hearing about it for the first time, given that, as I said, American History starts in 5th grade. 

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Funny I would find this post.

I produced the 911 Rememberance day for my son's school on Friday. 

We had it only for the upper grades, 4, 5 & 6.  I built a powerpoint for the teachers and did not use graphic photos. It was accurate to what happened...but  NOT sensationalized. 

The teachers discussed it in their classrooms and they said there were some very thoughtful discussions.  Some kids knew more than others (of course) before Friday.

Then they came to my presentation in the auditorium.  I had guest speakers (mostly parents) speak about what that day was like for them.   And I made sure one of the parents who was pregnant on 9/11 and due that week with our current 4th grader tell her experience.    I had the teachers speak about that day for them.  I had a former student who is now 20 talk about being in the 5th grade when it happend and how he felt.  And I had someone there who lost his brother that day.   He spoke very eloquently and the students asked a lot of (again) thoughtful questions. 

All the adults told me that they thought it was just the right tone and pitch...and later kids told me they liked it.  I know it is weird to describe something like that as 'like'  but that was their feeling.

just sharing path. 

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post

Funny I would find this post.

I produced the 911 Rememberance day for my son's school on Friday. 

We had it only for the upper grades, 4, 5 & 6.  I built a powerpoint for the teachers and did not use graphic photos. It was accurate to what happened...but  NOT sensationalized. 

The teachers discussed it in their classrooms and they said there were some very thoughtful discussions.  Some kids knew more than others (of course) before Friday.

Then they came to my presentation in the auditorium.  I had guest speakers (mostly parents) speak about what that day was like for them.   And I made sure one of the parents who was pregnant on 9/11 and due that week with our current 4th grader tell her experience.    I had the teachers speak about that day for them.  I had a former student who is now 20 talk about being in the 5th grade when it happend and how he felt.  And I had someone there who lost his brother that day.   He spoke very eloquently and the students asked a lot of (again) thoughtful questions. 

All the adults told me that they thought it was just the right tone and pitch...and later kids told me they liked it.  I know it is weird to describe something like that as 'like'  but that was their feeling.

just sharing path. 

That sounds beautiful.  :)

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Well, so far she has heard from us that the Fourth of July is a celebration of our country's independence, that Presidents' Day honors the people who have led said country, that MLK was a great man who stood up for freedom and compassion toward all people, and she doesn't know what Memorial Day or Labor Day are because she's too young to get it.  What do you tell YOUR very young children about these things?

When I posted that sentence you quoted, I was responding to some unreasonable criticism from another poster, who questioned my so-called "assumption" that my daughter wouldn't learn about 9/11 in History class.  I was pointing out that History class is not where she would be hearing about it for the first time, given that, as I said, American History starts in 5th grade. 

When my children were very young, I told them much the same. When they were a little older, and came home from school on 9-11 (bear in mind that we live in the tri-state area, and know many people involved in the WTC attack), I explained the situation in age-appropriate terms. They were in 1st & 3rd at that point. As upsetting as the situation was locally, the kids weren't traumatized based on my explanation.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:

This is about what Milo knows, too, and he's going to be 8 tomorrow.  I think I have told him something more about Memorial Day, but not much.  And how many of us really know what the deal with Labor Day is anyway?  

He knows quite a bit more than that about 9/11, but even so, I would have felt a little worried about sending him to an assembly like that.  We have talked about it on several occasions because he LOVES listening to NPR and it comes up quite often in one way or another.  He has also asked why we get searched on the way into the airport.  And I feel like it's important to be very careful about how I present it because I don't want him to grow up feeling like something tragic and catastrophic might happen at any moment.  I would hate for him to learn about it for the first time, or even be presented with stories or facts about it that we hadn't already discussed, as a five year old sitting in a sea of other five year olds rather than as part of a one-on-one conversation with someone who cared greatly about his emotional well-being.  I do understand that it's quite possible that other children will talk about it around him at some point and I can only hope he's well prepared for it.  He was not prepared at four when his best friend told him that sometimes people steal children and kill them.  So, I know that I cannot protect against everything, but just do my best.  

At Milo's school, btw, the teachers/staff never say anything at all about 9/11.  They are a little more into patriotic displays than I'd like, but they do see that 9/11 is one of those things that parents should be allowed to address in their own time and way.  

On NPR the other day we heard an interview of a woman who was in one of the towers when it was hit.  She was asked what she has told her son about it and she said, like it was the most natural thing in the world, "well, he's only seven, so he doesn't know anything about what happened on 9/11 yet."  It really surprised me since Milo has known the basics of what happened for a good long time now.  But who's to say when the time is right for a particular family or child?  I certainly didn't feel like she was wrong not to have talked to him about it yet.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Not sure why it even matters what we tell our kids and how we handle these situations.  Due to me being in the military most of my kids lives, they know what most of the holidays are.  However I've explained most of those things to them as I KNOW THEM.  Not as others want them to know them.  I can fairly say that my knowledge of 9/11 does not include any ounce of patriotism.  I'm still angry.  Very angry about it.  The nasty feeling of sitting in small room, waiting for the go does not leave me.  The members sitting next to me praying their husbands or wives didn't make it to work on time, still breaks my heart.  I'm not ready to forgive any of it.  I can't celebrate that day it makes me sick to my stomach.  The fact that they named it patriot day makes me sick.  It's we let our guard down and too many people died day to me.  And yes if you followed it all very closely from within in the walls, it was imminent and we didn't do our jobs. 

That's what I tell my kids.  Not the feel good cover it up BS.  People died because the people that were supposed to be doing more and not sitting around the drinking hole swapping stories of grandure, didn't do their job.   

The aftermath afterwards... YAY I get to sit next to a kid here at work without a leg!  Chain of events.  And you can bash me if you want over this.  I really don't care.  I've been told my beliefs say I'm not patriotic.  Right, I ride with DV plates and a disabled placard.  I won't fake patriotism over our own mistakes.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm rather confused as to why others got so upset about this.

there is a vast difference between teaching (a unit/class-etc) and have a memorial type service

most kindies that I know do know what a memorial type event is and that doesn't mean they need to have an in-depth knowledge of all the events---

honoring does not need to mean that it is inappropriate for a child of this age to attend

seems to have been quite OK with the OP's child and not a horror

certain choice words (and phrases) do come across as offensive to some 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

User Tag List