half day kindergarten..letter home today..what can i do? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthasmom View Post

i went directly to the principal because this is not the first time she excluded the half day kids.  their class does a reward system for good behavior.   they get to fill up a marble jar and when its full they get a marble party as a reward.  she has the kids vote on what their reward should be and then has the 'marble party' at the end of the day.  so these kids are expected to participate in a reward/good behavior program but will never ever get the reward.  i feel like i'm getting nowhere with her.  its not extra help in math that she's offering.  she's teaching the math curriculum to the half days in the am while the rest are in specials and then the full day kids get math later on in the day.

My dd's school has always had parties at the end of the day and I can understand why... usually they are hard to settle down after any party or birthday celebration.

One_Girl likes this.
#32 of 39 Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM

I haven't read all of the replies, however I just wanted to note that my daughter is in a half day program mixed with full day kids and the full day's also get "specials" every day that the half day's do not.  However, the way our school has it set up is with all of the "specials" in the afternoon after the half day kids leave.  I can't understand how they would do it any other way...?  All of the students learn the required curriculum in the morning, and anything extra is just that, extra.  They do not have to move kids around or exclude them.  I doubt your school will change their ways immediately, however maybe you could make that suggestion to the principal...?  Also, ALL kids, half and full days, get "specials" every sixth school day in the morning, so the half day kids get a full morning of specials about once a week, so they aren't missing out on computers, readers theater, music and art either.  I really like their set up :)  Good luck!!!

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#33 of 39 Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minkin03 View Post

My dd's school has always had parties at the end of the day and I can understand why... usually they are hard to settle down after any party or birthday celebration.

True, but I don't think it's fair to use a reward as part of a reward system that the half-day children will never be able to participate in.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#34 of 39 Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkrpata View Post

I haven't read all of the replies, however I just wanted to note that my daughter is in a half day program mixed with full day kids and the full day's also get "specials" every day that the half day's do not.  However, the way our school has it set up is with all of the "specials" in the afternoon after the half day kids leave.  I can't understand how they would do it any other way...?  All of the students learn the required curriculum in the morning, and anything extra is just that, extra.  They do not have to move kids around or exclude them.  I doubt your school will change their ways immediately, however maybe you could make that suggestion to the principal...?  Also, ALL kids, half and full days, get "specials" every sixth school day in the morning, so the half day kids get a full morning of specials about once a week, so they aren't missing out on computers, readers theater, music and art either.  I really like their set up :)  Good luck!!!

While that sounds like a good idea, many schools prefer to have as many upper grade specials in the afternoon as possible. That gives the older kids a bigger block of time for the more focused work that they do (and for longer periods of time.)

I've taught half- and full-day kindergarten. I would never want to teach a class where some kids are full day and others leave at lunch. I would never enroll my child in one, either, unless the school was EXCELLENT. For the reasons that have been discussed in this thread. My son just finished two years of kindergarten and the learning/play centers and specials were a highlight of his day., as well as the special classes. I also suspect that the ohter K teacher (at the OPs school) will get called on the carpet for sending work home that should be done at school. And it would probably make more sense to have ALL the half day kids in one class, instead of dividing them into two. I also suspect they will drop the half day option completely in the next year or two.
#35 of 39 Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM

I agree with the pps who suggest giving full days a try. Part of your dd's adjustment issues could very well be being part of a small group that leaves early & misses things, rather than being part of the larger group. Both if my kids have done/are doing full day Pk & K, and, despite my initial concerns, they are thriving.
Currently, my ds leaves one period per week for speech therapy. He hates leaving his group, and, seems to feel he's missing out. He's having a hard time comprehending why this is a good thing.
It's so hard to know what the right decisions for our los are. good luck!
#36 of 39 Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM

My son is also in half-day kindergarten, and he is the only student out of 90 that opted for half-day!  So he is also mixed in with full-day, out of necessity.  The day is structured so that all of the necessary curriculum (basically reading, writing, arithmetic) is in the first part of the day.  As a half-day student, he cannot attend any specials (music, art, PE, etc.) as those are scheduled in the second half of the day.  I completely understand that mainstream thought prioritizes the three R's above "specials", but have a hard time understanding WHY.  Of course we want our children to learn to read and add, but so much research clearly shows that we lag behind in education as a nation precisely because we start the fundamentals too early.  Yet, we know that the prime age for music learning, like language acquisition, is from three to five years old.  So I feel like music especially should be a higher priority in Kindergarten than math.  I understand how frustrating it can be!  And for us, full-day is a non-option right now because my child is still having a difficult time with the adjustment to Kindergarten, and we are two months into the school year already.  

It appears your child's teacher has the option to structure the day differently for your child, and there is no reason that your request can't be considered, at the very least.  You can always let her know up front that you understand if there is a scheduling conflict with the library or another school facility, but that otherwise you would appreciate it if she would consider changing her schedule so your child can attend specials.  If you are willing to teach anything missed at home, what is prohibiting her from fulfilling your request?  If you continue to meet resistance, it may be best to gently bring up the issue again via email or over the phone.  I would definitely speak to her in the event that she makes an agreement to do things one way, and then doesn't even let you know why she opted to do differently.  

BTW, it isn't as if you petitioned the school board and begged for a concession to be made so your child could attend half-day.  The school gives the option, and just because very few people take the option doesn't mean that your child should be excluded from class parties.  If the teacher is adamant about end of the day parties, would it be possible for you to bring your child back to the school on those days if you don't want her to miss them?  Or would she consider some other arrangement to make it possible to include the half-day students?  

#37 of 39 Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhimsicalMama View Post

My son is also in half-day kindergarten, and he is the only student out of 90 that opted for half-day!  So he is also mixed in with full-day, out of necessity.  The day is structured so that all of the necessary curriculum (basically reading, writing, arithmetic) is in the first part of the day.  As a half-day student, he cannot attend any specials (music, art, PE, etc.) as those are scheduled in the second half of the day.  I completely understand that mainstream thought prioritizes the three R's above "specials", but have a hard time understanding WHY.  Of course we want our children to learn to read and add, but so much research clearly shows that we lag behind in education as a nation precisely because we start the fundamentals too early.  Yet, we know that the prime age for music learning, like language acquisition, is from three to five years old.  So I feel like music especially should be a higher priority in Kindergarten than math.  I understand how frustrating it can be!  And for us, full-day is a non-option right now because my child is still having a difficult time with the adjustment to Kindergarten, and we are two months into the school year already.  

It appears your child's teacher has the option to structure the day differently for your child, and there is no reason that your request can't be considered, at the very least.  You can always let her know up front that you understand if there is a scheduling conflict with the library or another school facility, but that otherwise you would appreciate it if she would consider changing her schedule so your child can attend specials.  If you are willing to teach anything missed at home, what is prohibiting her from fulfilling your request?  If you continue to meet resistance, it may be best to gently bring up the issue again via email or over the phone.  I would definitely speak to her in the event that she makes an agreement to do things one way, and then doesn't even let you know why she opted to do differently.  

BTW, it isn't as if you petitioned the school board and begged for a concession to be made so your child could attend half-day.  The school gives the option, and just because very few people take the option doesn't mean that your child should be excluded from class parties.  If the teacher is adamant about end of the day parties, would it be possible for you to bring your child back to the school on those days if you don't want her to miss them?  Or would she consider some other arrangement to make it possible to include the half-day students?  

Research does not "clearly show" that we lag behind in education because we start fundamentals too early. There are a lot of reasons why we are not #1 in education and that's probably not even one of them. Just look at the success of HeadStart.

#38 of 39 Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM

The first half of the day is likely the time when most young kids have a greater chance of being focused, and have the energy and stamina to attend to the more "academic" parts of the day.

#39 of 39 Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

What are your reasons for declining full day?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page