Intermediate Elementary classes. Do they get second recess? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Today i was surprised when my 4th grade dd said they don't usually get a second recess after lunch. I asked her if she minded and she said no as the teacher does some fun class sharing - group work thing. I guess if it works for everyone in class its fine...

... but i admit i am not ready to hear about one recess going away quite yet. 

do your 4th grade and above 4th graders in elementary school get second recess i.e. between lunch and end of day?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think schools here have a second recess beyond Kindergarten.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM

Hi!

My 4th grader has a flexible recess period around lunch.  This actually started in 3rd grade. After eating lunch for 20 minutes they can decide if they want to head out to recess for a longer recess period or stay in the lunchroom for another 10 minutes to eat/chat and then go out for a shorter recess period. She goes back and forth depending on her friends,the weather, what she's eating etc.

Then later in the day the teacher does have the option for another 10 - 15 minute recess/break. Sometimes they use if for an actual recess (indoor or outdoor).  Other times they do a science experiment or project that will bring them outside or do an indoor game or activity if the weather is not cooperative.  I know that recess stops altogether in 6th grade which here is Middle School.

#4 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:32 AM

My 4th grader has morning recess, lunch recess and afternoon recess.  I think the morning and afternoon ones stop at 6th grade.

#5 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm pretty certain that recess ended at 6th grade for ds. I can't recall for dd, since we moved when she was in late elementary and the school system was different. 

The balanced school day is becoming more popular where we live now, instead of the traditional shorter recesses in morning and afternoon and a long lunch hour. Instead, the students have 2 longer breaks, each about 35 minutes, one mid-to-late morning and the other mid-afternoon. 

#6 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 AM

My guys had 3 before 4th grade and than dropped to 2.  However, the 5th grade teacher would often take the kiddos out for a 3rd if she felt like they needed it; less focus/more focus/extra time...

#7 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM

My 1st graders only get one recess after lunch. They go to school from 8:10-0 3:10. I think it is too long w/o more breaks, but they have gym twice  a week and do a lot of fun physical activities.

The school I taught in had only two recess for K and the first portion of 1st, the second recess was phased out for 1st graders after the holidays.

#8 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

My 5th grader no longer has afternoon recess. However, the teachers are pretty good about noting the activity level of the classes and will often given them a short (10 minute) recess if they seem to need it.

Before 5th grade, kids get recess/time on the playground before school, after lunch, then a short recess about 2 pm.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Our local elementary schools have 2 recesses through 5th grade. The first one is between school start and lunch. The second is connected to lunch. No additional recess after that but all the teachers my kids every had through 5th grade did some sort of P.E. or organized physical activity daily as a class whether it was playing basketball or just running/walking a couple laps.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#10 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Our district tends to offer a morning and afternoon break in addition to the lunch one for all elementary children, but only one break and the lunch recess are protected from being removed at the teachers discretion once they are in 5th grade.  You could probably check with your district headquarters to see if they have some protection for the kids breaks.

#11 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 07:55 PM

K-6 get recess before school starts, again at 10:15-10:30, again from 12:10-12:40, again from 2-2:15 except on wednesdays when it is early dismissal.

7-9  get a 10 minute break in the morning and a 5 minute break in the afternoon, plus 30 minutes at lunch.  not sure about 10-12.

#12 of 17 Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM

One of the reasons I like my kids school is that it has 3 recesses for all grades (PK-8.)  They also do a 15 minute recess before lunch, 20 minutes for lunch and then 20 more minutes of recess.  Works great!

Mama of three.

#13 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 AM
MJB

My 1st and 3rd grader each get one recess a day. My 3rd grader's class has an exercise period in the afternoon for 10 minutes though, and my 1st grader has PE 4 days a week.

#14 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM

At my kids' school (K-6), there is one recess each day, after lunch.  They do have PE everyday as well.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#15 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM

My son's school, unfortunately, has only two recesses for all kids, K-6.  His old school (same district) had three for K-2, 2 for 3-6 with the third one being optional.  I really prefer three recesses, but this school has the program we want.  It's 40 minutes of recess daily.

#16 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Except for half-days (which are every Wednesday) all of my kids - 5th, 3rd, 1st, and Pre-k - get two recesses per day.  However, I don't think it's uncommon at all for older grades to only have the one recess - especially in 'regular' schools.  They have a lot to cram into the day... and then still have work sent home (not a fan of homework!). 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

thanks mamas. i didnt realise how common this was. our school goes from 8 to 2:15. and yes the teacher is good too to notice the feel of the class and send the kids out for recess if she thinks its necessary. 

what i really like about this teacher is that she does give them a second recess in the sense of 'community time'. i think 4th grade is when the social issue becomes a huge thing. cattiness, girl vs boy play, etc. i saw some in 3rd grade but in 4th grade it is a lot. so the teacher spends that 15 mins to give a few kids a chance to express their 'gripe' and discover if it is valid and then what action should be taken. i didnt go for the open house, so i have yet to meet the teacher and talk to her. we shall see what she says. i think its a huge help to the kids just to be heard. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page