Let's Talk Homework - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

VisionaryMom

Option 2 is to send him to a different classroom. They're over capacity for 1st grade. They're shifting some things so that beginning in 1-2 weeks, there will be a new first-grade class. Because of the way this is working, that class will have no IEP students. All of the students will not be at the same ability level, but the idea is that there wouldn't be any individual children who require significant resources because of cognitive or behavioral concerns. The downside is that we would be starting over as far as advocating for DS because the idea is that everyone in this class would be doing the same work.

We have to email her by the end of the weekend. Thoughts?

He needs a move... if they are overcapacity and are moving students then some would be moving from the other class. If he has to go to the new class I'd submit a written request for an IEP meeting after the move if you feel his needs aren't being met. I'm pretty sure they can't legally refuse him an IEP because they want an IEP-free class.

How Can I Fight for a Gifted Child? - Wrightslaw

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I vote move him, and the wait and see what the teacher is actually doing with the kids before deciding if he needs something different. As you said, his class isn't appropriate for him, but they aren't doing what most the first grade classes are doing. With no IEP students they could really fly. With no serious behavior issues, they could spend a lot of time doing cool thing. It's not setting anything back if you put him into a situation where he needs LESS accommodation.

The school knows the situation isn't working -- they are offering a fix. Try it and see what happens.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
MJB

I would move him. His current class does NOT sound like a normal 1st grade. Neither of my sons have ever had a classmate who couldn't speak in complete sentences, except brand new immigrants (who could speak fine in their first language and learn English quick). Not even in preschool. I just don't think that would be a good situation for your son. 

The new class sounds like it could work well. My youngest son is in 1st grade. They are in ability groups in math, reading, and spelling. In math his class is counting money, adding, subtracting, and telling time. In reading he gets level "V" books for homework and works with another boy who also reads at a ~5th grade level. His spelling words last week included pleasure, civilized, and opposition. I don't think differentiating takes a lot of his teacher's time.

Between my two (older one is suspected ADHD and dysgraphic, younger is gifted) I have already met with both teachers this year. I was able to get in within two days each time. 

Old 10-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I lean toward Option 2, moving, as well, but do you know anything about the "new" teacher? I would probably try to get a little information about her/him first - personality, teaching style, preferred methods etc. I'm also wondering whether you couldn't convince the school's math coach to continue identifying appropriate materials and resources for him, since s/he is already familiar with your ds and his level of work. Even if he changes classes, he shouldn't have to start over entirely as far as differentiation goes. 

Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

We did ask for him to move classrooms. All of his information on assessments will go with him, and the plan is that the new teacher will shadow each current teacher for a day to get an idea of how the students' schedules currently work. Then she will meet with the kids for a couple of transition days. I'm hoping that it goes okay, though DS really has had a lot of transition and stress from our family life in the past 6 months or so. I'm just not feeling awesome about his school right now and am not sure what we will do for the long term.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I hope the transition goes well and things improve quickly smile.gif.  Over the years, my dc have had to make several changes - moving homes, classes, schools and so on. I once worried a lot about how it would affect them, but they've become resilient, flexible, socially adept people. They are unafraid to take on new challenges because they know that they can manage. Hopefully, your ds will also develop some "survival skills", as we've come to call them.   

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Over the years, my dc have had to make several changes - moving homes, classes, schools and so on. I once worried a lot about how it would affect them, but they've become resilient, flexible, socially adept people. They are unafraid to take on new challenges because they know that they can manage.

This has been our experience too. Some of the transitions have been rough -- we've lived all over US and in two provinces of Canada. At times, it was hard on the kids. But ultimately those were the experiences that helped shape our children.

It's character building!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

I think that you made the right decision.  Yes, the change might throw your ds for a little bit, but ultimately, if he's getting his needs met in a better way, the change will be positive.  I don't think that it's fair for kids to be put in the role of "helper" when their own needs aren't being met.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 AM

I didn't bother writing move him, as it seemed like overkill. Yes, maybe there is a bit of chaos in his life right now, but the situation he was in seemed so unhealthy, that a little more short-term chaos would be worth it. Please keep us updated on how it goes with the new class and the new teacher. 

User Tag List