Would this bug you? Washroom related. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is in grade 8.  All grade 8's are expected to change for gym.  There is no change room. They are expected to change in the washroom - which only has one working stall (the locks are broken on the other stalls - I sent out an email went out this morning over that).  It is the washroom for the grade 7/8 girls - so non class members do walk in to use the washroom on occasion.  

Do you think this is acceptable?  I must admit i tend to think it is not acceptable.  I have on occasion changed in washrooms myself, but it has always been a choice.  For it to be their designated change room seems icky for a variety of reasons.

If you think it was icky would you do anything about it (keep in mind I just wrote a note about the lack of locks in the bathroom, so I am not sure I want to look like a complainer)

Kathy

#2 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 AM

I don't have an issue with group changing, but it's odd that there's no change room or locker room available for the young women.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I too have no issue with group changing. Ideally, they'd have a locker room of course. Yes, I think changing in the bathroom regularly is gross (no place to sit and get your shoes on, clothing on bathroom floor, ect.) Where do they keep their clothing? Is it a tiny class? If not, how do they all fit in there? Do they have gym lockers? Certainly the stall locks should be fixed but really, the girls shouldn't be changing in the stalls themselves.

I guess the question is, what is the alternative? Middle schoolers need to dress out for the sort of P.E. they do. If there isn't an empty classroom or locker room, not sure what else can be done. I'd certainly message about the stalls and have your DD watch for the cleanliness of the bathroom. Sort of an odd scenario.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I think it is very inappropriate to have stalls that don't offer privacy in the bathroom.  Group changing isn't something that bothers me because my dd and I change in locker rooms all the time, but not allowing the option of a lock on a restroom stall is disturbing.

#5 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the principal emailed me back that they would be fixing the bathroom stalls.  I was really pleased with the prompt action.

There are 12 girls in her class.  I asked DD where they put their clothes when they change and she said they all bring their bags to the washroom.

It is not the group changing I am opposed to (although I think the option of privacy should always be availible - as it now is with the stall).   Mostly I was concerned that bathrooms can get yucky - toilet paper on floor, etc.  No lockers. Water on sinks.   

Yes, there is logistical issues of where to change.

Locks on stalls - easy fix.

A changeroom where none exists - not so easy

#6 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM

You might ask them to put hooks up on the walls so the girls can at least hang their bags and clothes as opposed to having them on the ground. A bench would be helpful too but might not be possible depending on the size.

Sorry, bathroom floors really creep me out lol. 

Linda on the move likes this.

#7 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 PM

most change rooms have bathrooms in them too so I don't really see the difference there.

Growing up we had benches in our change rooms & there were lockers, but unless you were on the senior volleyball teams you did not have a locker so all of our bags went on the floor(or the bench, but they usually fell off the benches).  In the middle school I worked at last year there were benches along the wall but most of the girls put their bags on the floor.  No lockers or hooks.

Getting benches, hooks, working locks all takes time(and money for the non-emergent things).  It also takes division approval which does not always happen.  Benches most likely would not get put in until next school year.  Possibly the same with hooks.

I can see having to change in the bathroom & the potential for other girls coming in as somewhat of a good thing.  It encourages them to change faster = less waiting for the doddling girls who are chatting, texting, fixing hair & makeup.

#8 of 18 Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

If someone opens the door, could they potentially see someone in the middle of changing before actually walking through the door? If so, I'd definitely request at the very least, a curtain be installed a few feet from the door. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#9 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

most change rooms have bathrooms in them too so I don't really see the difference there.

This is not a changeroom.  It is a bathroom open to the entire school that is being used to change in.  It is not even next to the gym.

I can see having to change in the bathroom & the potential for other girls coming in as somewhat of a good thing.  It encourages them to change faster = less waiting for the doddling girls who are chatting, texting, fixing hair & makeup.

You are definitely a silver lining type person!  Washrooms can be a little icky - the thought of having to change in one is sort of gross.

Lil Star - yes there is potential for anyone who needs to use the washroom to see them. It is a normal washroom, not one designated for changing.  DD says people walk in about every 3-4 times.

#10 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Growing up we had benches in our change rooms & there were lockers, but unless you were on the senior volleyball teams you did not have a locker so all of our bags went on the floor(or the bench, but they usually fell off the benches).  In the middle school I worked at last year there were benches along the wall but most of the girls put their bags on the floor.  No lockers or hooks.

Getting benches, hooks, working locks all takes time(and money for the non-emergent things).  It also takes division approval which does not always happen.  Benches most likely would not get put in until next school year.  Possibly the same with hooks.

Having a bathroom connected to the change room is not the same as the bathroom BEING the change room. It's just not an ideal situation and I see no reason NOT to ask for improvements.

So what if there are lots of hoops to jump through. This bathroom as it is, can't be the long term solution. I understand not having the finances to build a room but some minor additions would make the situation more palatable for this class and the classes to come.

purslaine likes this.

#11 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
What I meant was, if the door is simply opened, during the course of entering/exiting, can a casual passerby see? This depends on the general layout of te bathroom.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#12 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Sounds like there are no showers either.

#13 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

Sounds like there are no showers either.

Our middle school gyms have showers but they haven't been used in over 20 years due to cost. Most high schools in our area have showers but they weren't mandatory even when I was in high school. I'm not sure what the standard nation wide is though.

#14 of 18 Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I went to maybe five different schools and I don't remember anyone showering after PE ever.  How would you possibly shower and get dressed in the 8 minutes between changing classes?  We never had any privacy to change and I hated it.  I am so not cool with the lack of privacy and it feels like such an invasion.  I was never teased in school, but I've witnessed a lot of teasing.  How awful to have to get naked in front of the people who torment you.

#15 of 18 Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

You are definitely a silver lining type person!  Washrooms can be a little icky - the thought of having to change in one is sort of gross.

Lil Star - yes there is potential for anyone who needs to use the washroom to see them. It is a normal washroom, not one designated for changing.  DD says people walk in about every 3-4 times.

that was my point though.  Yes washrooms can be icky, but most changerooms have at least 1 bathroom in them anyhow so there is no difference between a changeroom & a bathroom other than in this circumstance the "changeroom" could possibly be used by other girls for the 5minutes(10 including the end of class) it takes them to change.  There really shouldn't be that many kids using the bathroom at class change either as they should(in theory) be going to their next class.

Quote:
Having a bathroom connected to the change room is not the same as the bathroom BEING the change room.  So what if there are lots of hoops to jump through. This bathroom as it is, can't be the long term solution. I understand not having the finances to build a room but some minor additions would make the situation more palatable for this class and the classes to come.

IT may not be the same, but it isn't that different either.  The bathroom may not be the long term solution.  There may be plans already at head office, but those plans take time.  IT may be next year or in the plans for 3 years down the road.  Even if they were to hang curtains(or hooks) that sounds simple but may not be something that can be done this year.

#16 of 18 Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:

IT may not be the same, but it isn't that different either.  The bathroom may not be the long term solution.  There may be plans already at head office, but those plans take time.  IT may be next year or in the plans for 3 years down the road.  Even if they were to hang curtains(or hooks) that sounds simple but may not be something that can be done this year.

Our experiences with schools are just different then. Our district always jumps on this stuff. If it's a concern for parents, it's a concern of the district. I asked for hooks to be put outside the classrooms so the kids could hang their backpacks instead of pile them on the ground where the ants always found them. It was done in a week. I really don't see ANY reason not to ask. Why assume changes are in the works when it's just as easy to find out with a friendly chat with the staff? Why not work towards school improvement even if the timeline won't benefit your own child. Gosh, I helped fundraise for 5 YEARS so the local elementary could get their playground replaced (it had been ripped out due to new playground safety standards.)  It didn't happen until half-way through my DD's last year but hey... it's so great that following students can have that! I'm not sure why you are so against approaching the school about this. They worst thing they can say is "there is nothing we can do" lol.

#17 of 18 Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM

I've never been in a change room that had stalls, so I don't see that lack of stalls in the washroom as really an issue (though I wouldn't like it for actually using the toilet.)

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#18 of 18 Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

that was my point though.  Yes washrooms can be icky, but most changerooms have at least 1 bathroom in them anyhow so there is no difference between a changeroom & a bathroom other than in this circumstance the "changeroom" could possibly be used by other girls for the 5minutes(10 including the end of class) it takes them to change.  There really shouldn't be that many kids using the bathroom at class change either as they should(in theory) be going to their next class.

I'm not sure I follow you... our changing room had an attached bathroom, yes, but there was some distinction between the spaces.  I never felt like the bathroom floor effluvia made its way out into the benches/clothes changing space.  Do your changing rooms have toilets right in them?  I would not be comfortable with my kids routinely having to put their belongings on the floor of the bathroom.  Ick! Ick! Ick!  I have a rubber bottomed diaper bag precisely for that reason!

I do remember some of the more shy girls changing in the bathroom stalls off of our changing room, but there were big hooks on the stall doors, so it wasn't that big a deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page