Sloppy handwriting, - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have tips on how to help an 9 year old not rush hand writing and take his time, instead of rushing and it becoming unreadable? My son is very determined to do it his way, but his way means, sloppy, no spaces etc.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#2 of 4 Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Is this a new problem? Are you sure he's "lazy" or is it a real struggle? I ask because handwriting was extremely difficult for him as a child. I didn't develop "nice" writing until after high school. My father had the same issue as a child and and my newly 11-year-old still struggles greatly. It's dysgraphia and DS gets accommodation for it (he still has to hand write but he also is allowed to type most things.)

I can recommend "Handwriting Without Tears." It's a great program and the reason my DS can write anything at all to be honest.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 4 Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Its not a new problem, he really does rush. I have seen him write nicely when he's not rushing.

I also found out that...in the schools here in Phoenix they don't do handwriting anymore, no cursive writing practices. Etc

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#4 of 4 Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM

I think the best way to help children develop strong handwriting is to reinforce it when they are young.  Bad habits are just so hard to break.  Maybe a nice set of tracing letters worksheets would help refocus your son on proper letter formation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page