Okay to (ever) have a gun at an elementary school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our nanny took our children (4,2) to her older daughter's (7) Halloween party at her public elementary school. My children didn't go to the Haunted House but her daughter did and she told the kids about it. In the entrance to the house (costume/functionunknown) was an adult holding a handgun.

I was *flabbergasted* by the decision to have an adult in any capacity holding a gun. We live in a very large, urban city with a lot of gang violence.

Is there anyone here who thinks that this was acceptable?

#2 of 20 Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nope.  But I'm a teacher who bans any kinds of pretend guns (legos shaped like a gun?  turn it into a fire hose and get people wet!) and even finger pointing guns.  Nothing.  School should be about as anti-gun a place as there ever could be.  

#3 of 20 Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Was it a real gun?!?!?

If so  - no.

If not - still no.  Rules around toy guns are just too tricky to handle on anything as large a scale as a school (it would cause too much friction among parents and staff).  It was a lapse in judgment on the part of the adult, IMHO

#4 of 20 Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Was it a real gun?!?!?

If so  - no.

If not - still no. 

yeahthat.gif

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 20 Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Even if it was Hallowe'en and everyone was in costume, that would likely have resulted in a full lockdown at our school. Full on emergency police response, kids huddled in locked classrooms, the whole bit. 

Not cool. 

#6 of 20 Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Nope, not acceptable at all.

My son had to go into lock-down two years ago because a janitor forgot he was carrying a handgun and had it in his jacket pocket locked in his office. I feel their decision to fire him and to put the school in lockdown once a coworker revealed it were correct decisions.

Guns, even toy ones, have no place whatsoever at a school. No excuses allowed, ever.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#7 of 20 Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I think it depends on  the school policy, whether it was real or not, and what the costume was.  I don't see a big deal with kids or adults having a costume accessory that happens to be a weapon, though I do ban all weapon play at home.  I think Halloween is different though because a lot of people who celebrate it like to dress as authentically as possible when they pick a character.  If they didn't violate a policy I don't think it matters.

#8 of 20 Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Are we talking about a security guard?

I'm asking because I know some schools do have them and the OP posted

Quote:
We live in a very large, urban city with a lot of gang violence.

#9 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

Are we talking about a security guard?

I'm asking because I know some schools do have them and the OP posted

We live in a very large, urban city with a lot of gang violence.

And that's why it would probably result in a lockdown in my city, unless it was a security or on-duty police. They would need to make sure there wasn't something happening between gangs, with the school potentially caught in the crossfire. One person openly carrying a gun means it's likely that there are others and that there is some dispute brewing. Even if they isolate/control the person with the gun, since it's on school grounds I'm pretty sure standard procedure would require a lockdown until the situation was clarified.    

#10 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 AM

huh? If the school hired a security guard it would result in a lockdown. Doesn't make any sense. 

#11 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 AM

#12 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 AM

I'd have to vote no on that one. especially because it sounds like the gun was being held, not simply holstered like a security officer would do. IMO, that would instill fear in many children. :(

#13 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Absolutely not, while I have no problems with guns I have a huge issue with it somehow being okay to use as a prop at a children's party.  That's just plain stupid.

#14 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

huh? If the school hired a security guard it would result in a lockdown. Doesn't make any sense. 

Um - I wrote unless the person carrying was a security guard. If someone showed up openly carrying a gun, there would be a lockdown EXCEPT if that person was authorized and recognized as entitled to carry a gun - like a security guard or a police officer. Not sure what doesn't make sense.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

And that's why it would probably result in a lockdown in my city, unless it was a security or on-duty police. They would need to make sure there wasn't something happening between gangs, with the school potentially caught in the crossfire. One person openly carrying a gun means it's likely that there are others and that there is some dispute brewing. Even if they isolate/control the person with the gun, since it's on school grounds I'm pretty sure standard procedure would require a lockdown until the situation was clarified.    

#15 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

#16 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The person in question was a teacher at the school, in costume, in a role at the Haunted House. Nanny and daughter both saw here waving her gun around. Gun was more than likely pretend. Nanny was surprised by I was horrified.

#17 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

This would absolutely NOT be allowed at my kids' school. They kids and staff can wear costumes on Halloween, but no weapons, real or pretend, are EVER allowed.

The only exception I can imagine being reasonable at any school is a police officer working security carrying his/her firearm. This was the case at the public school my kids attended. I loved our school "safety officer."  She was a lot like what Molly Weaselly would have been like if she had made a career in law enforcement.  She did carry a gun, but I felt it was appropriate. It was never treated like a toy.

I think that what the OPer described is really offensive and teaching very dangerous lessons, and I would write a letter to the principal saying so.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#18 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I find this pretty interesting.  After I graduated high school they took the musket away from our beloved mascot the Pioneer... I have no idea what he's holding now.  Either way if they go that far I can't imagine why a school would allow the teacher to dress up and use a "fake" gun as part of her costume. 

#19 of 20 Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
DBZ

I find guns real or fake are highly inappropriate at school. I would totally call and complain. Unless it was a hot pink water gun it could have easily terrified a kid! My oldest just recently had a almost-school-shooting at her high school. I am pretty sure that any kid from my daughter's lunch room would have reacted badly to seeing someone wave around a gun. So many of the fake ones look real, especially in the dark. I would call the teacher and complain.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#20 of 20 Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM

There are, generally, no weapons--- real or pretend--- allowed on school grounds in our area. 

There has been one exception made to this (that I know of) and the parents in the involved classes had to give permission and the other parents were informed first.  When my DD was in 5th or 6th grade and studying the civil war the teacher got a Civil War Recreation group to come in and do a demonstration.  They brought actual and real looking weapons, were in uniform and performed drills for the school.  I found that totally acceptable and my child did participate.  I can see other situations like this where weapons may serve a legitimate educational purpose.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page