NO RECESS FOR YOU! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm glad the meeting with the teacher went well... it sounds like she's a good one! Hopefully the changes will make things better for your DD :)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#32 of 39 Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post She feels DD needs to be in advanced classes but because of her inability to consistently sit through and finish her tests to her ability she can't move her without proof.  She didn't suggest medication but suggested a diagnosis if we were willing and possibly CBT again if we're willing.  Of course we're willing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I've got to help her get to a better place with her social behavior.

Assuming she has ADHD, it appears to be affecting her alertness or responsiveness to the educational environment, which would qualify her as OHI under IDEA and allow her to access services like ST (for social reciprocity and pragmatics), and behavioral support/legal protections. The eval for OHI should include educational testing as well.

Under IDEA/IEP, if your child has a disability that adversely affects educational performance, your child is entitled to an education that is designed to meet the child's unique needs and from which your child receives educational benefit.

A 504 is helping your child get the same education that everyone else is getting--more for a student that needs accommodations to help them learn (like sitting next to the teacher) or for behavior, and that they are not punished for things that they cannot control due to the ADHD (like needing to work standing up or not sit inside a group).

So far we've had two 504 meetings (the initial meeting in September of last year and a review in May); the first meeting has ds' teacher, the elementary school principle (K-12 school), the school psychologist, the resource teacher, a I think 1 or 2 others. Having a diagnosis isn't required for a 504 but it helps move things along.

I've heard a lot of parents say that they didn't want to "go there" yet with a 504/IEP so I want to add that

An IEP or 504 is not an escalation or punishment for the teacher/school. It's more about getting all appropriate parties involved and on the same page. The student, parent/legal guardian, teachers, principals, Pupil Services administrators, support staff (i.e. nurse, counselor, psychologist, language/speech pathologist) as well as the student's physician or therapist, may be involved in the placement process including the 504/IEP meeting.

Before I knew that ds might qualify as OHI we had a more thorough evaluation (after his initial diagnosis) at a hospital clinic that included the educational testing. I think it is a good idea to get private evaluations if you are able; clinics, like the above, tend to be less expensive than doing educational testing through and individual private practitioner like a psychologist.

Facilities like this sometimes offer social skills classes for children; these classes can be hard to find and it's taken me a year to find classes offered during the school year and on our insurance.

When you call your ped I'd ask if they have a teacher evaluation form for ADHD that you could get filled out prior to your appointment. The Conners Test is more for evaluating hyperactivity and isn't helpful in evaluating for ADHD subtypes.

ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERS EVALUATION SCALE

ADHD Connors Test

Eligibility under IDEA for Other Health Impaired Children

Key Differences Between Section 504, the ADA, and the IDEA

Is a Child with ADD/ADHD Eligible for Special Education? - Wrightslaw

Gifted Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity ... - Wrightslaw

Twice Exceptional Children: Gifted Students with ... - Wrightslaw

2e - Gifted and ADHD

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#33 of 39 Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Wow, I can see why you like this teacher! It sounds like she put a lot of thought into this to change her mind on what she should do and how to address these issues. 

That's really wonderful. I'm glad she can see what a terrific kid you have in your DD. I hope this will all work out so that she gets support to behave well in class and learn.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#34 of 39 Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Sounds like you have a good teacher!  You should be able to work out a good plan together.  Your daughter is a good age to get an evaluation and figure out some things that will work for her.  It's nice to figure things out earlier on while your daughter's grades aren't suffering too much and her confidence is up.  Two of my three kids (the two boys) needed adaptations but for different reasons.  The younger one had the help from early on and I find he's a lot more comfortable in himself.  Not the only factor, but I do think it contributed.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#35 of 39 Old 11-05-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am excited!  DD came home yesterday over the moon.  What a great day she had.  She got in trouble only once for talking but when she got in trouble her teacher came over and placed her hand on her shoulder and didn't say a word.  DD knew she needed to calm down and worked hard the rest of the day.  We already have a stong trust built up between DD and her teacher over other things that happened earlier in the year with a boy that wouldn't stop messing with her.  Her teacher took it seriously and fixed the situation without making a fuss over it.  Something like helps DD to see that this adult is someone she can count on. 

#36 of 39 Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Gifted kids often look hyperactive / ADD - its called a psychomotor overexcitability. My dd-7 is like this, its one of the reasons we homeschool.  She sounds a lot like your dd! If you could ask for testing through the school though, that could be the first step toward getting her into a gifted program. Good luck!

Catherine
classical soprano wife to a physics professor, mom to four kids 7 yrs and younger

Trying to balance Dad's science and math obsession with mom's love of arts and literature - blogging at a runcible life.

#37 of 39 Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the article.  That's what her teacher was trying to tell me friday when we spoke again.  She wants to find ways to help her get through her moments.  DD has taken the gifted test but didn't finish it in time because she got distracted.  Actually the last few questions on the test she didn't answer correctly according to her teacher she noticed she didn't even read the questions just picked an answer and then went back to coloring her nails with marker.  NICE!  The first part was all correct. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuway View Post

Gifted kids often look hyperactive / ADD - its called a psychomotor overexcitability. My dd-7 is like this, its one of the reasons we homeschool.  She sounds a lot like your dd! If you could ask for testing through the school though, that could be the first step toward getting her into a gifted program. Good luck!

#38 of 39 Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Haha, awesome! I haven't done the gifted testing route, but I've read that its good to get them individually evaluated, although you might have to press on the school a bit more for them to do it. I thought of your post the other day when my dd7 was doing her math work while balancing with one foot on a kitchen stool. She was completely able to concentrate as long as her body was doing its own thing. What a nightmare she would be for the classroom teacher though! I sympathize, sister!

Catherine
classical soprano wife to a physics professor, mom to four kids 7 yrs and younger

Trying to balance Dad's science and math obsession with mom's love of arts and literature - blogging at a runcible life.

#39 of 39 Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,  I had a teacher that would let me draw straight lines while she talked.  It really helped.  DD1's teacher is open to anything.  We're pretty lucky.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page