iPad apps to help the reluctant reader (grade 2) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is reading at her grade level (second grade) but she is such a reluctant reader and seems to struggle.  I thought a few fun apps would help her with her reading fluency.  Has anyone found something good for the iPad? 

BTW,  she loves to be read to, which we do tons, and she loves audiobooks, but I'd love her to be able to open the world of books on her own ... she's immensely curious and I have a hard time fulfilling that ... and am thinking having books an easy fun thing for her would be great.

Thanks!

PS.  Haven't had the kids on iPad AT ALL.  But just ordered Rocket Math, and figured that educational, truly educational apps, are helpful.  We don't let our kids watch videos, etc. hardly ever (once a week?)  and are generally media free aside from music, books, audiobooks ...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM

does your library subscribe to tumblebooks?  i dont know if tehre's an ipad app for it, but we've used it on the computer and it was fun when ds was younger.

heartbeat.gif

#3 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'll check ... thanks.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#4 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM

I got a comic book for ds from the app store when I looked up dyslexia.  I would also search for reading fluency to see if any programs come up.  Maybe look in ibooks, too.  If you know a series of books your child likes... Also you can download a kindle app and read kindle books.  

#5 of 23 Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I did look up and explore tumble books ...my local library has free access.  Looks excellent. They do have only two books for iPad ... The rest I think is for computer use.   Although, like a lot of things, I can use it on iPad via safari.  Thrilled to discover this resource.

I do have a kindle app ... But I am reluctant to pay for individual books this way.  the way we go thru books, it would be too costly.   That is why I am such a big fan of libraries and thank goodness there are so many e resources within my library system.

Curous to hear if any one had any game based apps they like for ipad that help with reading and fluency or sight recognition.

Thank you

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#6 of 23 Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM

This is a resource page off a school resource webpage.  I plan to check them out.  They are not specifically for the ipad, but they are reading resources.  

#7 of 23 Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, those are great melissa.   Thank you!  I had no idea ....

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#8 of 23 Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

is she a reluctant reader because she hasnt gotten the books she'd like to read? has anything really caught her fancy.

dd's reading didnt take off till she came across diary of a wimpy kid and then it wouldnt stop. she found little house on a prairie and then later nancy drews/hardy boys and couldnt stop.

what got her reading was the content - not the way it was presented. she read huckleberry fin on my kindle but its coz the story fascinated her. not because of the kindle. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

HI meemee

You hit the nail in the head ... My daughter's reading level gives her access mainly too books that are not at her interest level ... She loves to be read chapter books, say for ages 8 to 11 but can't read that well.  

So I was looking at the device / iPad not as the place where she does her reading. ...  But where she develops her reading muscles so she'll be able to read those higher level books that interest her.

I am realizing a lof the Ez reader books they work with are crap- boring, churned out by the book industry.  She's had to read a lot of those at school.  For her 20 minutes of reading at home, I let her pick whatever from our shelves ... And she assiduously avoids those EZ books.

The girl wants meat and can't quite get it yet on her own ...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#10 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM

if u have a $100 bucks to spare i would actually encourage you to buy half this reading program. www.headsprout.com i have found with many readers including my child (she is a whole language reader and hates phonetics and sounding out words) this program has really helped them out to understand the full nuance of reading. it isnt the same as starfall.com. dd didnt even finish half the program. she got it. but then she is the kind of kid who loves cartoon and would do what the cartoon asked her to do rather than what i or her teacher would ask her to do. she had holes and that program in a fun way taught her the holes. got her fundamentals right. its the same thing with other kids. with the few kids i know who used this program they got really solid with their confidence and then they took off. i would call headsprout a reading muscle. i think its a great place to start. in fact you can go on the site and try a few lessons and see if your dd likes it. my dd loved it and did it willingly the first 20 lessons and then she was done. THEN she picked up a book willingly adn we never looked back again. 

what kind of books does she like to read? maybe if you asked mamas here for suggestions of books you might also hit a goldmine (that is unless you havent already done it). dd hated anything moralistic. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

HI meemee

You hit the nail in the head ... My daughter's reading level gives her access mainly too books that are not at her interest level ... She loves to be read chapter books, say for ages 8 to 11 but can't read that well.  

So I was looking at the device / iPad not as the place where she does her reading. ...  But where she develops her reading muscles so she'll be able to read those higher level books that interest her.

I am realizing a lof the Ez reader books they work with are crap- boring, churned out by the book industry.  She's had to read a lot of those at school.  For her 20 minutes of reading at home, I let her pick whatever from our shelves ... And she assiduously avoids those EZ books.

The girl wants meat and can't quite get it yet on her own ...

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 23 Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Meemee.  I looked at the sight and it looks very good.  We are financially extremely tight so even the 100 bucks is going to take some thinking and some moving around of money.  

I am not quite sure *which* half of the program you are suggesting we buy?  Which did you use with your daughter (and what age was she and what reading level was she at?)

My sense is my daughter consistantly reads at her grade level, sometimes just a tad below, so technically is considered at school to have no reading issues.  

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#12 of 23 Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi meemee

i periodically get from threads here great recommendations for books .... it has been awesome.  but again, the interesting ones (to my daughter) are way beyond what she is willing to attempt in reading herself ... like, we just listened to Grombrich's "A little history of the world "(recommended at MDC) and "Red Fern." 

I think she'd be able to plow through Magic Treehouse herself, but that was so *last year* we read them all to her, or borrowed audiobooks of them, they just, I think, are too simplistic.

Really -- when we do reading at home, I let her pick *whatever* book she wants to read ... and she often will read very simple, but excellent "easy" books that you would read to a preliterate child ... the old favs ... like "Time for Bed" etc.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#13 of 23 Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

I am not quite sure *which* half of the program you are suggesting we buy?  Which did you use with your daughter (and what age was she and what reading level was she at?)

My sense is my daughter consistantly reads at her grade level, sometimes just a tad below, so technically is considered at school to have no reading issues.  

I would start at the beginning. the first half. i got the first half for dd when she was in first grade. she wasnt behind in reading in class either in K or first, in fact she was ahead. but i could tell something was holding her back from her full potential and i could not figure out what. with reading with her i saw she'd guess at words instead of sounding them out to actually find out what they were. for me it was like investing in a video game because after i did the trial lessons she wanted me to buy them for her really bad. SHE was the one who wanted to do the lessons. i didnt even oversee her. she'd run home after school to do the lessons. and right after that she found diary of a wimpy kid and never looked back. 

now dd is a perfectionist and competitive. which meant she would not try anything unless she knew she would excel at it. so would this tactic work for you? i dont know. i myself did not know if it would work for dd. the only reason why i did it coz my life was getting v. full (work and school) and i had stopped reading to her at night since reading would put me to sleep. 

however i will say there were books dd wanted read to her. she did not want to read herself. for instance for some reason she prefers reading tolkein on her own but prefers her dad read harry potter to her. let me look for a link that a mama posted here and i'll add it here and see if your dd might find some of them interesting. they cover a variety of subjects. oops. the link i thought started early but it actually only starts at 3rd grade. so here it is for your future reference. http://www.battleofthebooks.org/

really for dd i have found hitting the right book was the key. a book that was not too difficult or too lengthy but interesting enough. THAT opened the flood gates. 

i would advice hanging out at the library and finding books there. just let her pick and choose. i knew for my dd she needed some pictures with words. 

and btw i would also note that while she may want to actually read a book, she is probably not ready readingwise herself. i see this with dd even now. she gets interested in my school books - historical documents some of which she can read some of which i have to read to her. 

#14 of 23 Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

mee mee ... this is ALL really helpful.  My daughter sounds *exactly* like yours was.  I'm going to try both her and my little one (age 5) on the first samples.

I will report back ... and perhaps a grandma will purchase the first half of the lessons for Christmas....

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#15 of 23 Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 AM

I agree with the comic book recommendation.

It's fun and entertaining and short.

My DS is now into Calvin and Hobbes. I really like it even though Calvin could be quite a pain sometimes (and Hobbes too for that matter) because they sometimes use big words or make up words (which makes for creativity on my son's part).

#16 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM

At her skill level, there really aren't many apps for her. Most reading apps address beginning readers. I'll look at my iPad when I get home and see what the very few I have that might interest her are called.

Good luck! I'm a huge fan of Tumblebooks. 

There's also a "pay" site called Big Universe. It has books that might interest her, but it's not free nor is it low-cost. 

I'll get back to you once I'm reunited with my iPad. ;) 

Paula

#17 of 23 Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Another idea are graphic novels-- sort of a balance between comic books and regular stories.  One of my DDs likes history so the biographical graphic novels work well for her.

Also, look at non-fiction books with facts, or novelty ones (also with facts) like Ripley's Believe it or Not.  They can be high interest but not overwhelming because you can start anywhere, read a little, and flip the page.

Magazines are good, too, for the same reason.  Does she like animals?  Ranger Rick is good.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#18 of 23 Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Take a look at We Give Books. She'll have fun going through the books looking for ones that might be on her reading level, and can ask you to read the ones that are too hard. A great side benefit is that for every book she finishes, she can donate a book to kids in need. My struggling reading students love doing that! (I teach kids who are reluctant or slow readers, or have reading problems, online with Skype.) They feel great that their reading lets another child have a book to call their own. :) 

I love the site, and Tumblebooks mentioned above is fantastic as well. 

Good luck! :D

#19 of 23 Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 PM

If you have a kindle app you may have access to library books as well.  All the local libraries near me have e- books to lend. 

On another note, I have one that was a very reluctant reader.  Was a title I kiddo not because he didn't have the skills but because nothing had caught his interest.  He graduated from title I in 4 months.  He LOVES Guiness Book of World Records.  The kid loves to know things.  At 15 he still gets the new one every year for Christmas.

#20 of 23 Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Miss Bright - I just looked at the web page you suggested ...wonderful, we will surely be reading there.  Right now all you ladies have given me some good, good pointers ... I love the Ripleys and Guiness suggestions!  And this Christmas, we will be purchasing the first part of the reading lessons suggested by Meemee ...

... interestingly, since the start of the year, my daughter's reading ability has skyrocketed.  However, she is still SO reluctant.  Funny, when she actually reads, she's just fine, very fluent.  

Onward@!

will check in shortly once we implement some of your all's suggestions

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#21 of 23 Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

meemee -- just went to buy the headsprout and now it's nearly 200 for the first half -- doubled in price in the new year.  i am going to check in w/the school and see what they have available -- and see if even perhaps they have this ... tho can't see the logistics of how she'd use it there .... but she needs that reading muscle you mentioned.  technically, she's on grade -- but still struggles

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#22 of 23 Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM

holy cow. thats a LOT. but on the other hand gosh. its a great program. 

have you tried the free ones they have on their site? does your dd like those? i sure wasnt going to buy it without testing dd. 

but please i want you to remember one thing too.... it just might be a matter of time. in dd's school along with dd most of the kids reading didnt take off till middle of first grade. so your dd is right on target. there were a few who didnt take off till second grade and went from needing help classes to the gifted in 3rd grade. 

#23 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

She loved headsprout -- both my girls did.  not sure if they both can use the program, will have to ask how that works.

I just emailed her teacher and the reading teacher who tests all the kids and knows my dd -- and they both had never heard of it, looked at the program and said they thought it was great.

my dd is seven, half way through second, and while her comprehension is good her fluency is really rocky ... i feel for her

side note:  my daughter loves money .... she is the exact opposite of me and my husband ... and i was even thinking of VERY temporarily (say for a month) "incentivizing" her reading.  I know, I know, it sets all sorts of bad precedents .... but dang, this girl loves $$ .. so funny, with a family of buddhists who have vowed to live a life of simplicity

I'm just going to take the plunge on headsprouts -- we tested her and she was solidly in the range of needing part I not part ii.  Look, bottom line is can't hurt -- she enjoys it.

i appreciate your help meemee

Kids. I got two of 'em.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page