voting on who is good enough to go out to recess - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK so my daughter is in grade 1 this year after homeschooling for kindersgarten. For a variety of reasons we feel this is the right choice for our family right now, and we have generally been pleased with how well dd1 has made the adjustment.

We are in a lovely small community-focused school with lots of parental involvement. 

BUT we seemed to have ended up with a teacher with a very negative/punitive approach to discipline. 

Being new to the school environment, I'd appreciate feedback from others on a recent incident in dd's Grade 1/2 class.

The teacher had decided to withdraw recess. Initially he told the class that the whole class would not get recess because a few people in the class had been disruptive in the hallway on the way back from lunch. He made them practice walking back from lunch quietly, but some kids were still not being quiet or quick enough. So told the class there would be no morning or afternoon recess the next day. The morning recess went like this: All the kids sat at tables, and the teacher asked them to nominate fellow students who had been making "good choices" and should therefore be allowed out for recess.  As a child walked out of the room, the other children had to give them a round of applause.  In the end, seven students remained.

Dp & I are really uncomfortable with this approach. What do you think about it? 

#2 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM

I think it sounds horrific. I'd complain to the principal.

toddler.gif

#3 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM

I'd go talk to the principal asap!  I'd be livid it was my kids class!

Mama of three.

#4 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Unbelievably inappropriate.  I would definitely talk to the teacher as well as the principal. 

#5 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I'd raise hell.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Talk  to principal right away. Ds had a very strict teacher last year and I wished I had pushed more to get him out of her class and into a better one.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#7 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My mouth is hanging open! And I wonder how much better they'd behave after some running around! How counterproductive!

#8 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

STOMP in there and ask the teacher to explain his logic.  Maybe he just might hear it come out of his mouth and realize how flippin stupid it is.  Then if he doesn't let him know not only will you be speaking to principle you'll be getting in contact with the other parents.  They hate that!

#9 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

What is the deal with this class voting kids out!? I just started a thread last week about a similar issue. This has to be some philosophy gone horribly wrong. This doesn't give kids a "voice" in how they run their classroom. It turns them all into bullies and creates unnecessary peer pressure. is this the influence of Survivor?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#10 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! This was our reaction too. Us and at least 5 other parents from the class are getting together to complain to the principal. Dp talked to the teacher about it and he was totally defensive, thinks his approach 'builds community' and 'encourages good choices'. Builds community policing maybe... we are frustrated because we like the school and even this teacher has strengths. But he is completely out of it when it comes to discipline and shows no signs of backing down. I'll let you know what happens next...

#11 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

SO glad you have other parents on board. It keeps you from being "that mother," and shows the teacher/principal that they can't just reject you because you're the nutty one.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

GET EM!

#13 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

SO glad you have other parents on board. It keeps you from being "that mother," and shows the teacher/principal that they can't just reject you because you're the nutty one.

yeahthat.gif

Classroom management really is a skill.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#14 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 AM

You can't be a good teacher of young children without the right classroom management skills.

It drives me crazy when adults throw around words like "good choices" and then punish children when they don't make them. 

Anyway-- to me, recess should be a right and not a privilege.  Children's bodies are built to move and be active . . .they also learn so many valuable skills during open-ended play, too.

This whole idea of voting (seems like there are other threads about the same issue here!) is a form of bullying.  I would not tolerate it.  Very glad that you are moving forward with this!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#15 of 19 Old 11-24-2011, 05:36 PM

I'd be LIVID. Can't they see they are setting up for children to bully others by telling people to vote for certain people and not others or 'let's all not vote for Sally' kind of crap?!  disgusting.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#16 of 19 Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

they are setting up for children to bully others by telling people to vote for certain people and not others or 'let's all not vote for Sally' kind of crap?!  disgusting.

Just preparing children for the real world of being contestants on Survivor and other reality TV shows. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#17 of 19 Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Does anyone in the teaching field know if this "voting" strategy is some new trend that is being taught in teacher inservices, but that teachers are just misusing somehow?

#18 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Um....WOW!!  My jaw hit the desk when I read this.  Like the others have said, I would march so quickly into that school and raise the roof!!!  UNbelievable!!!!  Doesn't the Sudbury/Democratic schools use this system?  You may want to post over on that board to see if anybody has some insight on how this works and/or how to make something like this be a positive thing (although not sure how that is even possible with such young kids).  I had an issue early in the year that our teacher was using a ticket system for rewards on Fridays.  And this is a Montessori school!!!  Turns out that my kids really could care less about this system now and all the kids know that eventually they will get to pick a prize :::cringe:::  Overall, 99% of what our teacher does is amazing with the 1% of it being the awful ticket system.  

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#19 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFD View Post

Doesn't the Sudbury/Democratic schools use this system?  You may want to post over on that board to see if anybody has some insight on how this works and/or how to make something like this be a positive thing (although not sure how that is even possible with such young kids). 

A teacher-led vote-off would be considered a serious and grievous misapplication of the Sudbury school model of democratic collaborative problem-solving. But yes, it's possible the parents there might have some insight into how it might be turned into something less toxic.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page