Kindergarten paperwork - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
mothermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i was talking to another mom today and she mentioned that KG paperwork requirements include reports of a full physical check-up apart from the usual immunizations. is this correct? does this apply to public as well as pvt schools? thanks so much for your help!

mothermom is offline  
#2 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
 
cameragirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which state do you live in? Registration requirements vary from place to place. For example, in CA we aren't required to have a physical for KG enrollment, but vaccinations are required. (Or an exemption signed and sent in.)

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
cameragirl is offline  
#3 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM
 
whatsnextmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm in CA in public schools and we were required to have a check-up prior to K registration along with immunization records. You could sign a waiver if it was against beliefs or not in your ability to provide one. Otherwise, it was just a little sheet you took to the doctor visit with the 4/5 year-old shots and they signed if your child was in good health with good vision and hearing.


Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
whatsnextmom is online now  
#4 of 20 Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

For the most accurate information - call the school.

 

We've moved a lot and things are handled differently in different places. My kids attend a private school (not in California) and the school is required by law to keep all the vaccination records on file, but not required to make sure the child is up to date, so if a family is skipping or delaying vaccines, it's no big deal)

 

In our last state, the kids had to have a physical, but it wasn't a big deal. It was just a basic check up, nothing invasive, and there are programs in place to make sure that money and insurance don't keep kids from seeing a doctor.

 

 


but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is online now  
#5 of 20 Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
 
VisionaryMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've lived in both Ky and NC with preschoolers. Both states required physicals. Ky actually required separate dental and optometry exams, but NC allows the parents to have that done with a ped or family practitioner. I would just look at the school district's website. Both of ours had the forms available online along with a clear list of what's needed when you attend registration.


It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
VisionaryMom is offline  
#6 of 20 Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
 
cameragirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were told by our district that to meet the physical requirement, the child just had to have seen the Dr. within the past year. It wasn't required to have a full physical. I'd still ask as pp recommended. Some districts are bound to be more strict about it than others.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
cameragirl is offline  
#7 of 20 Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 AM
 
neptunemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in CA and my girls attend private school.  The school required a well-check and immunization record before starting K.  It probably varies by school so I'd check your particular school.

neptunemama is offline  
#8 of 20 Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our private school requires a physical on all PK and K students as well as the vax records or exemption. 


There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is offline  
#9 of 20 Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I refuse to provide the proof of exam because I resent the government acting like parents are too dumb to take "proper" care of their children without constant oversight.  winky.gif

Stephenie likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#10 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 AM
 
Polliwog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I'm a foster parent and I can assure you that there are MANY parents in this country to do not do anything to ensure that their kids are safe and healthy.

 

I'm in NC and getting ready to register my DD for kindergarten. The medical form is pretty simple and the same form that we've used for the last two years of Pre-K.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

I refuse to provide the proof of exam because I resent the government acting like parents are too dumb to take "proper" care of their children without constant oversight.  winky.gif



 

Polliwog is online now  
#11 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 AM
 
whatsnextmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

I'm a foster parent and I can assure you that there are MANY parents in this country to do not do anything to ensure that their kids are safe and healthy.

 

I'm in NC and getting ready to register my DD for kindergarten. The medical form is pretty simple and the same form that we've used for the last two years of Pre-K.
 



 


I agree. I taught preschool through a middle class district but with low-income families. Some families were just down on their luck but otherwise had their act together. Many were struggling on all fronts. I had to walk many parents through how to handle illness with their child. They would send them with fevers, having thrown-up that morning, so much cold medicine in their system that the kids couldn't function, ect. Many couldn't afford health care and didn't even have a regular doctor. They would take their kids to the ER if they needed help because the ER HAD to see them even if they didn't have insurance. Many were too intimidated or couldn't work through the paperwork required for any state aid in that area.

 

It's no secret that kids spread disease. Making sure kids are starting with a basic level of health is a no brainer to me. It's not hard to get and they offer clinics for those that can't afford it. Plus, there is a liability issue for the school. They need to know what they are dealing with if a kid has severe allergies, asthma, auto-immune issues, hearing loss or vision problems, ect. You'd think most parents would be up front with all this but I can tell you that they certainly aren't always!

 


Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
whatsnextmom is online now  
#12 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

I'm a foster parent and I can assure you that there are MANY parents in this country to do not do anything to ensure that their kids are safe and healthy.

 

 

 

I don't necessarily equate "safe and healthy" with Western medicine. 


Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#13 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

 

I don't necessarily equate "safe and healthy" with Western medicine. 



I'm a family doctor and I agree. I've never heard of this sort of paperwork and a medical exam being required (it's certainly not in my area) and it seems quite intrusive to me. I can see a role for offering visual and auditory screening at the school *once kids are there.* I can also see that you would want kids to be free of communicable disease -- but a cursory physical exam 4 - 6 months before KG school entry is going to do little to ensure that. Kids pick stuff up all the time, and being treated for, say, impetigo at age 5 years 2 months does almost nothing to reduce the likelihood of that kid coming to school at age 5 years 6 months with it. Or with chicken pox or Hepatitis A for that matter. 

 

To draw a parallel, you could claim that all children's clothes-closets should be inspected prior to school entry to ensure that they have appropriate clothing, shoes and outerwear .... because some parents don't care enough to clothes their kids properly. A government clothing inspector could visit every child's home and sign off on some sort of form that should be presented prior to school entry. But I don't think the benefits of identifying kids who don't have the right clothes would outweigh the intrusiveness of such a requirement. And I feel the same way about the requirement for a general physical exam.

 

I ran into a similar situation recently when I wanted to re-join the running club I've been a part of for a couple of years. On the form there is now a waiver that says "I have discussed my exercise program with my doctor within the past year and have no health issues which impact my running." Well, no, I have not discussed my exercise program with my doctor within the past year, and I'm not going to lie and say I have. Nor am I going to make an appointment to do so. I've been running for years, have no medical history, no injuries, a near-zero cardiac risk profile, and can easily run marathon distances. I have a better understanding of the sports physiology and running-related medical risks than my family doc. So why would I need his okay to run an occasional leisurely 5 or 10 miles of trails with a group of friends? It's not a hill I'm willing to die on, but really ... what ever happened to common sense? 

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#14 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Fortunately, our district accepts a letter of exemption. 

 

I do try to take my kids for a check-up roughly every year.  I'm not completely opposed to regular medical care, as both of my kids see a sleep specialist for chronic disorders.  But I just get itchy when Big Brother tells me I have to take them to a doctor.  What if I choose to only use accupuncture and herbs?  Ugh.  I opt them out of hearing and vision screening as well (again, they are in no way neglected...ds1 wears glasses and ds2 has had to see a pediatric eye specialist for something we were worried about which turned out to be nothing).  And the BMI check?!  My 9yo is so tall and skinny he probably has a BMI in the teens.  His ped is fine with it, so why open a can of worms with some crazy person who may feel my kid is being starved and who wants to call CPS?


Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#15 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
 
yellow73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Georgia requires a hearing, vision, and dental screening. If you don't have a ped fill it out, you can go to the health dept. to have it taken care of on a sliding scale.

yellow73 is offline  
#16 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
 
whatsnextmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post



I'm a family doctor and I agree. I've never heard of this sort of paperwork and a medical exam being required (it's certainly not in my area) and it seems quite intrusive to me. I can see a role for offering visual and auditory screening at the school *once kids are there.* I can also see that you would want kids to be free of communicable disease -- but a cursory physical exam 4 - 6 months before KG school entry is going to do little to ensure that. Kids pick stuff up all the time, and being treated for, say, impetigo at age 5 years 2 months does almost nothing to reduce the likelihood of that kid coming to school at age 5 years 6 months with it. Or with chicken pox or Hepatitis A for that matter. 

 

To draw a parallel, you could claim that all children's clothes-closets should be inspected prior to school entry to ensure that they have appropriate clothing, shoes and outerwear .... because some parents don't care enough to clothes their kids properly. A government clothing inspector could visit every child's home and sign off on some sort of form that should be presented prior to school entry. But I don't think the benefits of identifying kids who don't have the right clothes would outweigh the intrusiveness of such a requirement. And I feel the same way about the requirement for a general physical exam.

 

I ran into a similar situation recently when I wanted to re-join the running club I've been a part of for a couple of years. On the form there is now a waiver that says "I have discussed my exercise program with my doctor within the past year and have no health issues which impact my running." Well, no, I have not discussed my exercise program with my doctor within the past year, and I'm not going to lie and say I have. Nor am I going to make an appointment to do so. I've been running for years, have no medical history, no injuries, a near-zero cardiac risk profile, and can easily run marathon distances. I have a better understanding of the sports physiology and running-related medical risks than my family doc. So why would I need his okay to run an occasional leisurely 5 or 10 miles of trails with a group of friends? It's not a hill I'm willing to die on, but really ... what ever happened to common sense? 

 

Miranda


What's the difference between doing these tests once in school and having parents have these things done with their own choice of doctors? I don't find general check-up intrusive at all and I much rather they be done by our own hand-picked doctors than the student nurses they tend to send. If it's against your beliefs you just opt out. I really don't see a big deal at all. 

 

You also have to consider the legal reasons for asking parents to provide info. Believe it or not, parents do crazy things like not tell a teacher that a child has a severe pet dander allergy because they don't want their child stigmatized and assume it'll never be an issue at school. I had a student whose parents opted out of their doctor visit, didn't report this very issue and we only learned of it when the kid pulled out an emergency epi-pen to show his friends one day. Good thing it came up before the next month when we planned to bring in all sorts of pets. If parents are willing to take that risk with their child, well, it's their right I suppose. However, that little note protects the school in a sue happy society if they choose not to report and yet something happens to their child. Is it ideal that schools have to protect themselves in this manner? Of course not but you can hardly blame them for it. 

 

The majority in our area don't have issues with this at all Those that don't, well, they opt out. Again... don't see an issue.

 


Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
whatsnextmom is online now  
#17 of 20 Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
 
ollyoxenfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 

It's surprisingly easy to miss the signs of vision or hearing loss in a young child, two common issues that can have a big impact on learning in the classroom. They can be a source of delayed skills, inattention and poor behaviour, It's not surprising that schools would want to take preventative measures to deal with these issues. Many parents don't pick up on these problems, not necessarily out of any kind of blameworthy neglect. With increasing cutbacks in funding, I'm not sure how often routine vision and hearing checks are happening in schools anymore, and in any case, why wait until that late date - which could happen anytime between Sept. and the next spring - rather than getting ahead of any issues before school starts.  

 

I don't recall ever needing anything other than a vaccination record (or exemption statement) for kindergarten registration, but my dc were enrolled in kindergarten many years ago. I don't think I'd be particularly perturbed at completing the paperwork described in the OP. In our current school board, we have to fill out the medical form every time there is a field trip. The same form. Doctor's name and contact information. Allergy information. Mobility needs. Any medical conditions. Etc. Etc. I have tried to send it back with a simple "as per records on file", but it gets rejected until I actually check off that there are NO issues in each of these areas. Now that is irksome. 

ollyoxenfree is offline  
#18 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post


What's the difference between doing these tests once in school and having parents have these things done with their own choice of doctors? I don't find general check-up intrusive at all and I much rather they be done by our own hand-picked doctors than the student nurses they tend to send.

 


I absolutely agree with this. I would far rather my kid visit our family doctor and the doctor and I have a chance to discuss any issues, even minor ones, than my child be seen in an assemble line when I'm not there by someone trying to get through all the kids as quick as possible in a situation where my child isn't going to ask any questions.

 

As far as BMI checks, isn't that much better handled with a doctor and parent than in front of the class?

 

Miranda, if I remember right, you are in Canada, which has a completely different health care system than the US. In the US, there are programs to ensure access to health care for children, but the programs are complex and weeding through them can be difficult for some parents in need of those programs. In the paperwork required by our schools *in many cases* helps the schools provide information to families about things like how they can get their kids teeth checked for free.

 

We've done all this paper in a couple of states now, and the first time it was a bit overwhelming, but I think the paperwork is a good thing. It's not big brother watching; it's us, as a society, deciding that all kids should get their vision and such checked once in a blue moon and then setting up a simple system to try and make sure that happens.  It's not really for kids like ours who are going to get their vision checked anyway, it's for other kids. I'm more than willing to turn in a sheet of paper showing that we've had these things done to help out other kids.


but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is online now  
#19 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

It's not big brother watching; it's us, as a society, deciding that all kids should get their vision and such checked once in a blue moon and then setting up a simple system to try and make sure that happens.  It's not really for kids like ours who are going to get their vision checked anyway, it's for other kids. I'm more than willing to turn in a sheet of paper showing that we've had these things done to help out other kids.



Eh, I dunno, I don't see it quite that way...maybe I would if the school simply informed paretns at registration that this and that service is available.  I'm not sure I understand how I'd be helping other kids by taking my kids to the doctor.  I don't think the requirement is terrible necessarily, I just chafe a bit and since there is an exemption, I use it.  If there wasn't, I wouldn't worry and I'd just get the stupid form filled out. 

 


Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#20 of 20 Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 PM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

 I'm not sure I understand how I'd be helping other kids by taking my kids to the doctor.  


Exactly. 

 

Further, I've had two separate occasions where I've gone to a doctor for something specific and been pushed into investigations that I believed, based on my instincts and medical knowledge, to be unnecessary. There was then cost (to the system), worry and the travel risk that needed to be undertaken to put the doctor's mind at ease, or to prove that the initial test result had been a false positive. "Screening" medical appointments are not without risk ... the risk of unnecessary interventions. 

 

I get that an exemption can be requested. Which I guess is fine, assuming it doesn't result in the child's file being red-flagged (because maybe the parents are hiding something.) But having the exemption option in place works against the argument that this paperwork keeps parents from hiding important medical info like severe allergies from the school, since those same parents would presumably want to sign the exemption to continue hiding the info. 

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off