Holiday gifts for preschool teachers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is in preschool/daycare full day, five days a week.  She has two teachers both of whom she is really close to and we really appreciate and respect. 

I'm trying to decide what to give as a holiday gift.  I know we won't do a class gift; DD was with the same group of kids last year and no one arranged it.   Last year we gave cash and DD made each teacher a card.  I'm fine with that option again... but not quite thrilled with it.  In part because her teachers this year are both more professional, older and have families of their own.  It seems inappropriate to give them cash somehow...   (Still, I prefer cash to gift cards as gifts.  I don't feel a need to show loyalty to a particular store or potentially give money to a store that may or may not get spent.) 

So, the other idea I was considering was a donation to an organization like Heifer or Oxfam.  I *think* both teachers would really appreciate the gift and I know DD would like giving that gift-- I mean what greater gift could a 3 year old give than A flock of chickens to a family!   But, I'm worried that maybe her teachers count on cash gifts the way waiters count on tips...  I know that day care/preschool teachers are not generally paid well.  Though I also know that her school pays well above average.

For those of you who don't do a class gift, what are you planning to do for teacher gifts at holiday time?  And, what are your thoughts of giving to a charity in someone's name?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#2 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've never given cash gifts to a teacher. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure there have been rules against it in some places we've lived in. Although I have given gift cards to coffee shops and book stores, and I guess that isn't too different, but somehow it feels different. 

A charitable donation is a good idea. I know a few teachers who have suggested that they would prefer families give books to the school library, rather than a present to the individual teacher. 

My only personal guideline is to give something that is consumable like coffees and teas, gourmet jams, vinegars, etc., so that it won't clutter up their classrooms or homes forever. I figure even if the teacher doesn't like it, s/he can serve it to guests or leave it in the staff room for others to enjoy. I have given potted herbs, which doesn't quite follow the "consumable" rule. The only other exception I've made, that I can recall, is to give a Christmas ornament if I knew that the teacher celebrated Christmas. 

Mostly, I think a card or a note of appreciation from you and your child is enough. 

#3 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!  Great point about giving something consumable-- I hate to force clutter into someone else's house.  And,  I love the library idea too!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page