Mothering Forum banner

When do you keep your kids home?

Tags
school
2K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  BinkieFinder 
#1 ·
This school year, I have been struggling with the issue of when to keep my kids home sick and when to send them to school. DD1 is in middle school and DD2 is in elementary. DD2 suffers from a dustmite allergy, and the last couple of years, the school was a part of that problem (carpets, couches, etc. in classrooms). That has now improved since they pulled up the carpets. She does take medication for this. However, she still frequently suffers from morning headaches & we are trying to track down the cause with the allergist. She often feels not so great in the morning, but has no fever, is not throwing up, etc. DD1 currently has a virus of some sort causing sinus issues - doc says she's fine to go to school, but she just feels bad in the mornings (about 2 wks. now). Same thing - no fever, no throwing up. When I see them in the afternoon, they are generally fine. I vacillate between just keeping them home and sending them. This morning I told them to tell the teachers if they are feeling poorly later in the day, but the answer I got from both is that the nurse would send them back to class if they didn't have a fever. So, back to square one.

Do you have some sort of guideline on when to send your kids to school and when to keep them home?

#27 ·
Thanks for all of your input! I am just coming off of having DD2 home for 2 days last week & DD1 home for 2 days this week. Luckily, they read, do homework, rest, watch some TV, get some computer time, etc. so that I can still work. This time there were obvious symptoms for each. It just sucks that viruses seem to last so long now - or am I imagining things? I swear we've been fighting this one since winter break. Hope everyone is healthy today!!

#28 ·
I keep mine home if they have something that is highly contagious to others (pink eye, stomach flu, sore throat and fever, etc) or if they're so ill that I don't think they're going to get much out of going to school. I also keep them home if I feel that sending them will cause their illness to worsen, such as if they have the beginning of bronchitis. It seems as though they miss at least 12 days a year - which I think is a lot. However, they've never fallen behind and the school hasn't ever had any issues with their attendance.

Luckily my kiddos love school (and hate to miss) so they don't fake illnesses. (yet)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.