Is a 20-30 minute walk too far for a 1st grader to get to school? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I see, I thought she was trying to eventually get her to walk on her own. OMG, I suck at this thread.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#32 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM

It's ok AM :) I will be your walking buddy anytime- we can just get bull horns cause I will be about a mile behind you saying slow down!!!! and you will be saying SPEED UP! And we can have coffee cake and coffee when we are done!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#33 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

I only consent to this if there is Bailey's involved.
CariOfOz likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#34 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Baileys sounds GREAT!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#35 of 39 Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Well, Im not standing by my statement 100% that its exactly two miles, but its pretty close. And Im not doing it daily right now at 37 weeks pregnant in Janurary, so its not like I can test it today smile.gif Im not going to argue with you about the time, because I used to work for my neighbors and I had to walk there everyday with DD, so I know how long it took. Racewalkers average 7-8 minutes a mile, not 10. 

Her name escapes me (and now I hesitate to google orngtongue.gif), but there's an Olympic racewalker who trained (and maybe competed?) right through pregnancy. Not sure if it was during the depths of winter, though smile.gif.  Hey, I was just interested in figuring out what that pace looked like, that's all. I'm a pretty fast walker and a lot of people complain about trying to keep up with me. I've never clocked myself. I believe that 2 miles in 20 minutes is possible. Not for a 7 y.o. with SN though, but I think we all agree on that. 

Imakcerka likes this.
#36 of 39 Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 AM

Get her a balance bike then.  If she's seven and not ready to learn to bike, then start her on a balance bike ASAP.  There are also clinics around the country for special needs kids to learn to ride a bike.  http://www.losethetrainingwheels.org/

#37 of 39 Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Get her a scooter! They are much easier to learn than a bike, and they also make 3-wheel ones for older kids if balancing is a challenge at all. The great thing about scooters is that you can control your speed much more than you can with a bike, and there is much less chance of falling. My 3yo scooters to daycare (about a 10-min walk) and my 8yo sometimes but not always walks home from her bus stop, which is about 20 min away on foot (weird, I know). FWIW, her stop is about exactly a mile away, so we are doing 20-minute miles here.

A child that age should also be able to walk that distance, but I would start slow and bring water and snacks, and carry her bag for her. Also, maybe start off just doing pick-up so there is no time pressure.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#38 of 39 Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Here is the 3-wheeler for older kids. My 3yo has the mini-Kick and we LOVE it.

http://www.kickboardusa.com/maxi

#39 of 39 Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM

They also have this! That could help if she gets tired, maybe, and looks better than a stroller, probably? I would be concerned about kids making fun of a 7yo in a stroller unless her SN are pretty visible.

http://www.kickboardusa.com/scoot-n-pull

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page