Working in the classroom with own child!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started a new job this week...toddler preschool teacher. I have been a preschool teacher for many years and have no issue with the actual profession. On Monday I will be bringing in my DS and he will be part of my classroom. Now....I recently left a job in which I was the teacher in his class at another school. This arrangement was awful and I do believe the biggest conflict with the school itself (poor routine, management, staffing issues, etc.). Because my first experience was pretty rough, I am wondering if any other mom's out there have suggestions on how to make this an easy and/or pleasant transition. I have a few ideas of my own, but would love the input of other mom's that have perhaps been in this same situation.

#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM

#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have been thinking about the issue that will be ahead of me. Because my previous experience was so rough, I am worried not much will have changed. My son is 2 1/2 years old and so he is right at the cusp of being a "big boy" and still being a baby. I am working on potty training so that he could advance to the next classroom, but can't rush him into that. Unfortunately it is a small school and so there really aren't multiple classes for the different ages. I guess it'll have to be one of those things that will have to be dealt with once we have both gone through the day and see how it unfolds. Thank you for your input.

#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 AM

#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the school does have a policy that mom and children cannot be in the same room. My current situation would require him to go to school. Husband works out of the house and all my immediate family also works. So, it just happens that I am the teacher of the age group he corresponds too. I know they are reluctant to the idea, but want to help me out.

What happened at my last job was that we were together all the time. I had very little help from other staff because they just assumed the "he's her mother and she'll deal with all the problems". This included him being jealous, tired, or even when he was misbehaving. It was all up to me to handle. It became too much of a burden and I know he was not happy there. The setting was not one of a typical preschool and it just was poorly organized...to make matters worse. 

I am hoping that because this is more of a structured program and there are many more areas of interest for him....there will be little time in between that he will "need" me. This is the hope. Of course, it's something that'll have to happen in order to see what will actually happen.

I do feel that the administration at the school will be helpful and supportive. They are both moms and have had their children in the school. And so they understand what this process is like....which makes them nervous at the same time.

I am going to try and make him a special school backpack for him this weekend so that he'll think of this as a special event. Let's see!!!!
#6 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 AM

#7 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you so much for thinking of me. Working is actually going extremely well. I have always considered the environment a child is in before I label them "problematic". Turns out he's adjusted very well and is doing well with me in the classroom. We still have our issues of jealousy and not quite understanding mommy is also a teachers. But over all....it's going very well. I'm so glad I dared to try again in another school. He's learning so much and I am actually very happy with the school and the administration. Thank you for your advice and care!

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page