What do you really like about School for your child? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Well, the nice person at the district office didn't say she'd be removed from elementary school, but just that when the area charters contact the district for the records and let them know that the child has accepted the spot at the charter they remove that child from the next year's rolls — not the current rolls, unless it's a mid-year transfer. 

We were asked to fill out alternatives for the electives so I'm not sure that it's the same in our school as it would be in yours, but I don't really know, not having had a middle schooler before. They had a lot of cool electives, though and I wouldn't want her to miss out on them.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#32 of 33 Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it's a hard decision, but you'll make the one you think is right - and it doesn't have to be carved in stone.

Electives wrt middle school. Ours also ask for alternate choices, and there is always the possibility that a kid won't get teir first (or even second) choice in a particular area. A lot depends on what sections the kiddo is put into for the core courses, and how the electives fit with those. And then there are some that are more popular than others and fill up quickly.

#33 of 33 Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another vote for the charter. I moved between seventh and eighth grade, from a small school to a very large, well-regarded public high school, and the smaller school was much better in most respects. In my case, it was a small private school, but similar in some ways to a charter now--started by parents who wanted a classical education for their children and with relative freedom to teach the way they wanted. Very, very small-between 10 and 15 kids per grade when I was there. But just excellent, in so many ways. I had a few outstanding teachers at the public school in the district people move to so their kids can go to the great public schools, but mostly it was very competitive and focused on getting A's, getting AP classes, getting National Merit scholars, getting great SAT scores, and less on actual learning. Very good school, many dedicated teachers, but a really different sense of purpose. How to write a good five paragraph essay, or how to write a solid 10 page research paper, vs. writing as a craft, writing for excellence. From my perspective now, I was unusually lucky in the small school; but among my friends who went to public school, my experience was the norm.

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page