Please help me with your opinion! I would greatly appreciate it as I am now down to the decision-making wire :) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Given what you know about the decisions I have ahead of me (and trying not to feel biased towards pr
Just pay the deposit and go for it. Have faith in your dreams and trust that all willl work out! 5 16.67%
Give up the spot. Financial security is more important than private school, and your daughter will be fine in public school! 25 83.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to post an update... thought it might help someone else who might be in a similar place. THANK YOU to everyone who posted such thoughtful responses. It really helped me sort through my feelings. I was soo disappointed to give up on the idea at first, but I am starting to get into the idea. One thing that helps is that my dd's upcoming class seems to have an exceptionally cohesive and friendly bunch of parents. I met several at a fun school orientation event (the kids got to go on a bus ride ) and we exchanged emails and have been having regular play dates. Really nice people and adorable, sweet kids who dd is excited to have as classmates. Dd is really excited about school, and I am really excited about getting our finances not only back on track but better than ever. I think she is going to do just fine, and I am finally happy to say I am excited about her upcoming school experience (though, for the record, the secretary is still an ogre wink1.gif )

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#32 of 33 Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylsmith View Post

Dd is really excited about school, and I am really excited about getting our finances not only back on track but better than ever. I think she is going to do just fine, and I am finally happy to say I am excited about her upcoming school experience (though, for the record, the secretary is still an ogre wink1.gif )

That sounds great (except for the ogre part)!

I've thought a lot about choices over the years. We made a choice when we started our family to live within our means, debt-free, in a small, safe community surrounded by beautiful wilderness where our kids could explore / roam / play / grow up without fear. My kids have unique learning needs. Our school choice consisted of one under-funded public school, K-12, with fewer than a hundred students. Extra-curricular options for supporting my kids' passions and talents have been extremely limited as a result of our rurality.

I could have bemoaned the lack of educational choice. But that would have got me nowhere except to a state of feeling resentful and unempowered. I admit I've been through occasional phases where I've been mired down in those feelings. But I really had to reframe the issue of choice: we had made bigger, more global choices than School A vs. B vs. C. We chose things like simplicity, financial and personal security, and freedom, things that trump the smaller choices of this school vs. that school or gymnastics vs. dance or violin teacher A vs. violin teacher B.

So it sounds like you're doing the right thing: looking at your choices through a wide-angle lens. You have the choice of more marital harmony, less stress, more family freedom, etc. etc.. rather than private school and the concomitant stress / discord / financial strain. Sounds like you're making an important and very sound choice.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#33 of 33 Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
What a great update! We meet wonderful kids and parents through public school! How nice that the year is getting off to a good start!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page