part- time homeschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am interested in part-time homeschooling in kentucky.

my DD will be in 2nd grade, and the past two years I have found that there are some things i like about school & others i dont.

example:  dd is in speech therapy.  public school speech therapy is done in a group, where dd gets approximately 5 minutes of 1 on 1 time each session.  I waited for 6 months to get DD into speech, followed all of the school rules, and dd ended up getting a crappy 5 min session. 2x a week!  So  I take her out of school 2x a week now to do a private speech therapy for an hour.   SO much happier with that.

I would really like to do the same thing with other classes, too.  DD isnt happy with her gym classes, and I think we could skip guy to let her go to athletic classes she enjoys (gymnastics, ballet, swimming).  She also wants to take violin lessons, private art classes...   You get the picture.   She has a lot of interestes that are covered in school, but not tailored to her.  I would like to basically take her out at noon (lunch time) and be able to tailor the rest of the day to her...  instead of gym where they just run laps, have her in her gymnastics or ballet classes.  Instead of music where 25 kids take a turn on an instrument, have a 30 minute private violin lesson for her...

Ive tried to do this in addition to her regular school day.  She is currently enrolled in 2 athletic classes, 1 religion, 2 speech therapy, and art after school/ weekends.  Its TOO MUCH in addition to an 8 hr school day, and I would like to integrate these into her school day.

Is there any way I can do this???  DO some schools have 1/2 days for 2nd graders?  I think this would be easier in middle school when kids change classes and are not with the same kids all the time  (I could work with school and have math, english, science & history early, and she could lunch and periods 5 & 6 to take private music and gym w/o it being a big deal)

But Im worried that in elementary school she would feel bad skipping the last part of the day...  w other kids oticing.

#2 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

We homeschooled, my kids have attended traditional public school, and they now attend a private alternative school.

For part of one year, one of my DDs attended traditional public school part time. This was ONLY an option for us because my DD has special needs that caused full time school to be a bit of a disaster for her and was part of her 504 plan based on her dx of Autism.

Although it was our best option at the time, there were some very serious downsides. Because she wasn't at school full days, she wasn't a real part of what was going on there. Because she wasn't available full days, she also wasn't part of a homeschool group, going on cool all day field trips, etc. Rather than being a part of both worlds, she was a part of neither.

For me, the driving was nuts and my day was extremely chopped up. I honestly found it more draining in some ways than just homeschooling because at least then, I could control the schedule. I have two kids and they were not on the same schedule, and the it was really pretty nutty.

Also, in spite of the fact that she was is middle school, getting the right classes at the right times was still an issue. School is set up to be a package deal.

But I do wonder why your DD's school day is 8 hours -- that doesn't sound right to me. I also wonder if you have other schools that would be a better fit for her -- that is ultimately what we did -- moved her to a school that worked for her.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

sorry,  its actually 7 hours. 

thanks for your answer, i was worried that she might not feel like part of either world, so its good to have your input.

#4 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Our district used to allow kids to enroll for part of the day but they cut that out because of budget cuts. It may be an option in your area to look into though. The problem I see is the missed academics that you will have to cover. Specials typically last half an hour or so and after that there are a lot of things covered in class. Special times also vary depending on the year and grade so next year they may be in the morning or half in the morning and half in the afternoon. You may also find that your dd doesn't enjoy the lessons you help her choose once she starts them. Music and pe at school are very social activities but one on one or in a small group they are often not as fun, especially if practice at home is involved. Then there are lesson times themselves, lessons for school age students tend to be offered from about 3-6 in my area and it is hard to get high quality instructors at other times.
#5 of 16 Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ours was a slighlty different situation. DD was among the youngest in her year so when she first started we kept to mornings only for a few months (the rest of the class were full time after a couple of weeks)

It worked well, in that we felt full days were too much for her at that point, she often spent the afternoon asleep. However the system clear was that all the children were there all of the time and doing something outside that norm was not easy on us or the teachers and I;m not sure it would have worked well long term.

There were a lot of little issues. Letters, informal chats with the teacher etc all happened at the end of the school day. I found I had to keep very aware of what was going on as it was very easy for me to miss these things.

DD started feeling like she was missing out, not having work displayed on the wall as art time was in the afternoon, nto getting to play in the play area outside the classroom, again as it happened in the afternoon. The teachers were quite good at letting me know about the bigger afternoon things like vistors to the classroom and rehersals for the chirstmas play but it tended to be the smaller things DD noticed.

#6 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 AM

I think the main problem with that is that the school schedule is likely not set up so they do all academics in the morning and things like PE/music/art only in the afternoon.  The PE/music/art teachers have to have their classes spread throughout the day, so some students will be getting those in the morning and some in the afternoon.   And each day is probably not the same..the main teacher probably has flexibility in when they teach what...so on Tuesday she could do science in the morning, but do it in the afternoon on Thursday.  I think she could end up missing a lot of what you want her to get in the school and end up having to take part in classes (like PE/music) that you aren't really interested in and wanted to do outside school just due to the schedule.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#7 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Look into local homeschool co-ops and private classes for athletics, fine arts, and therapy. This would put her firmly in the homeschooler side of things but would still give the out and about aspect and less pressure on you for certain days and subjects.

#8 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

does anyone know of alternative schools in Kentucky...  i know when i lived in VA, they had a school that let the kids take off wednesdays...    (it was more of a free time thing for the kids whose parents worked and did not want to keep them home wednesdays, they were allowed to hike, etc...)

wondering if there are any schools like that in KY... 

also, whats a co-op?  can you tell me how they work?  is it sort of like a mothers group for older kids where they teach stuff instead of have a play group?

#9 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

OP, we're an unschooling family in Kentucky.  If you can tell me what part of the state you're in, I may be able to suggest some resources.

#10 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

bluegrass

#11 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM

I want to second what others have said about timing being a big issue.  I just finished student teaching in a 2nd grade class.  Sometimes we had specials at 1:30 sometimes at 9:15, depended on the day.  Also, if we didn't finish something in the morning we continued it in the afternoon.  Group projects usually occurred in the afternoon, but sometimes we would work on something all day.

Is there a reason you don't want to just home-school?  It seems like if you have the flexibility to come get your dd in the middle of the day to do private lessons, it might work out for you.

#12 of 16 Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The biggest co-op I know of here in Louisville is a Christian one, Home for His Glory, where I believe they have a school day Thursdays and some of the parents who have some expertise teach subjects. They also have field trips I think. You pay a low membership fee for the year. There are several other ones too some are secular, some are unschoolers like the Freerange group, some are Jewish. Some actually have a 1 or 2 day a week formal co-operative school and others just are playgroups/support groups.

#13 of 16 Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Sorry OP, I'm more familiar with the western part of the state (Owensboro, Bowling Green, etc.).  Sounds like you've gotten some Louisville suggestions, though.

#14 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

:)  oops!

#15 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

This is a "learning at school" board. There is also a homeschooling board, which is where your post belongs.

Just as those of us whose kids attend school are not allowed to post on the homeschooling board about why we find school to be a superior option for our children, it is not appropriate to post on this board about why you think homeschooling is better.

You really don't want my opinion on whether or not moms who are not highly motivated to homeschool should homeschool.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#16 of 16 Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

sorry linda, i just sort of started rambling... duh.gif  

i do that IRL, too   blahblah.gif

Tags
Learning Resources , School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page