Gifted toddler / testing a toddler for giftedness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if anyone knows any good websites that provide free test for testing gifted toddlers... My daughter just turned 3 on July 5 and shows many signs of giftedness. Well at least I think they are. She began talking before she was 1. By 15 months she knew her all her alphabet, colors, shapes (including octagon, sphere, cube, parallelogram, etc...) and body parts (including nostril, forehead, eyebrows, eyelashes, ect..) By 2 she new all of the sounds of the letters and could tell you many words that begin with each of the letters. She just turned 3 and is reading. She knows many sight words and is sounding out words she does not know (s-o-f-a  = sofa). She can tell you how to get to a certain place giving you directions using words left, right, go straight, make a turn. She doesnt like playing with kids her own age... She prefers to play with her cousins who are 7 & 8  rather than those that are her same age. She gets frustrated when her younger cousins dont say words correctly. She corrects them and tells them how to say words right. She will play with her younger cousins but only for a short while (30 min.) but will then go to her room and look at books or play on her own. She likes for me to read harder books to her as well and after I finish she likes to read (paraphrases) it back to me. She also likes pretending she is other people. She will pretend she is a doctor and check you head, heart, ears, etc... and then tell you her diagnosis, she pretends she is a waitress and takes you order on her notebook, she does this for many other characters.

I would really appreciate any help... Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I wouldn't trust any websites that suggested they could test for giftedness online.... free or not. Most professionals won't even test prior to 4 and most won't recommend it until 7 or 8 when tests are most accurate. If you want information on giftedness in general, I recommend the Hoagies gifted site. Tons of good information.

The good news is, you really don't need to know at this point if your child is gifted and if she is, where she would land on the gifted scale. A gifted preschooler needs love, attention, play and the flexibility to learn how and what they want. No different from any other preschooler. It's actually not unusual for any preschoolers to prefer the company of older kids and adults.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Tags
Learning Resources , School
User Tag List