Mothering Forum banner

Do catholic schools require vaccination records?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  elus0814 
#1 ·
I am just curious and wondering weather the catholic schools require your

child to be vaccinated. I can't afford one at this time but debating it for future,

however I really need to know if they do.

#2 ·
My understanding is that no school can force you to vaccinate your child HOWEVER it is a state requirement that every school have the vaccine record for each child attending. There is a simple form that you can print and sign stating for religious or personal belief you are opting out of vaccinations. This will replace the vaccine history in your child's school file and help the school meet the state requirements.

That said not all schools will realize that this is an option legal option because the paper work the state gives to them state that vaccine records are "required" for each student (I find this "required" language on the paperwork from the state and then the schools funny since the state also is the one who offers the opt out option). So you may have to be willing to gentle educate the office staff and have your own paperwork in order. When you get closer to that time many moms here on MDC can walk you thru it.

#3 ·
btw - My dd will be attending a Catholic school and while she now has many of the required vaccines she will also be missing two so I have opted out for just those two and provided the rest so it is not an all or nothing path.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post

I am just curious and wondering weather the catholic schools require your

child to be vaccinated. I can't afford one at this time but debating it for future,

however I really need to know if they do.
I'm a rusty on this so you may want to check at the choosing not to vaccinate board. Most of the time, yes, Catholic schools require vaccines for attendance; iirc there may be a couple of states that force private schools to accept exemptions, otherwise it is up to the school. I believe the position of Catholic Church is that there is no religious objection to vaccination (even to vaccines derived from fetal cells), but whether or not exemptions are accepted seems to come down to the individual school or the diocese in which the school is located.

#5 ·
My experience with several Catholic schools in different states is that it is up to the school. We've always quietly turned in an exemption letter and not made a big deal out of it and they've always accepted it.

The position of the Catholic church is that cells from aborted babies in vaccines did start out as a very sinful event but that the person receiving the vaccine is so removed from that sin that it's ok to do. They do, however, state that it is up for parents to decide for their children. If you really need to convince a school that the Church does not tell parents they must vaccinate or that it is wrong not to then you could print off something from the Vatican website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.