Unexpectedly starting kindergarden in two weeks! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's so hard to know what to think. My child is very effectively telling me he doesn't want to go. But he is blossoming at school. He had a really good day yesterday. I was surprised because he tried to keep the aid away by holding down the lock button(she comes and brings him from the car). So he resists hard, and got spoken to for saying that being line leader (a privledge) "is dumb". He is so conflicted, and I feel like all I can do is watch. He in OT and doesn't even realize he is in speech again (yet?). Any advice or suggestions are welcome. I think he likes school, but he is afraid to be out in the world. He says I need to wait for him out in the car until the "go home" bell rings :)

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

UPDATE: I was fine, until I went to curriculum night. And after being enlightened to the reality that they expect that my son will be reading, writing and doing math (skills that I needed kindergarten 1st and 2nd grade to master) by the end of the year. When I talk to the staff I am assured that kids come in at all levels. But the reality in the classroom is that ds is the only child in the room that has not been in daycare or pre-k. They all write and draw and are ready for the next step. My child knows he is different thatn the other kids. "His paper doesn't have numbers". My question to you all is, am I undermining his acedemic success. He doesn't even want to be there. Let alone learn to write his name. He isn't emotionally ready. For the first time in his life I am not following his que's. I feel like I have made a terrible mistake.

gloomy.gif

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

It's hard!

My sense is that they will work with him at his level and expect him to make progress, but not necessarily achieve all those things at the same level as others. It sounds like he needs more time to settle in and get the hang of the social/emotional piece. At the same time, sometimes our kids surprise us. When we hang in there with them they often accomplish more than we think they can or are able to.

Hang in there!

Tags
School
User Tag List