UPDATE - on Tuesday night, DD was awake for an hour in the middle of hte night saying her stomach "felt funny". Wed morning she was crying about going to school even though it was the day for water play, which is her favorite. So we decided to pull her out until Jan.
She turns 4 at the end of Nov, so we told her that we decided she could wait until she's a little bigger to go to school, and she will go back once she turns 4. Her face broke into a huge smile and she turned around and gave me a big hug.
The school is half day preschool and then they have "clubs" in the afternoon - music, dance, and sports. So we decided we would take her for the clubs one or two days a week so she can stay familiar with the school and hopefully connect with the other kids and teachers, and I can stay with her during the clubs,
I had a meeting with the principal today and she was VERY supportive. She said she understands that it's a hard transition to a new country (she is originally from the UK and worked in an international school in Switzerland for over 20 years) and she thought it sounded like a great plan. She encouraged me to stop in as much as I could, even if it's just for Natalie to say hello to her teachers. They have "circle time" every morning where they sing songs outside and dance and she suggested I could stop by circle time on our way to the office sometimes too.
I was hoping to check out the local homeschool co-op, but unfortunately they are turning families away because they have too many kids. Most of these are Ugandan families, so apparently homeschooling is becoming a little more popular here. It's good to know that might be an option in the future if DD continues to struggle with the school.
Loving wife to DH and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12) and expecting another little boy (4/15)
Your principal sounds like a real peach. It's wonderful that your DD will be able to stop by school even though she won't be attending. Hopefully, that will pave things for a smoother transition later.
Please keep us updated when you decide its time to give school another try. We'll be cheering your little girl on!
but everything has pros and cons
If it was my child, I would pull her out. I would not want her cared for by people who lie and threaten small children, even if it is the norm. And I have been through the crying, don't leave and have left her. She usually camled down as soon as I was gone. The few times she cried on and off throughout the day where when she had a lot of stress going on. I would trust you daughter's response and what she is telling you - she does not want to go to that school!
I am SO glad you decided to pull her out. Considering that she is 3 years old, I don't think homeschooling even should enter into the equation. She is far too young to "need" school. It sounds like you are able to get her some social exposure to other children in the meantime, which is great.
My heart was breaking for her hearing how upset she was...there is mild separation anxiety and then there is behavior that tells you "I am not ready, don't make me do this, something is wrong"
Good for you on following your heart.
|54 members and 9,396 guests|
|Alina Violeta , alina5532 , belltree , bluefaery , Cherry_Blossom , chkpea , CrunchyMama14 , Deborah , elliha , emmy526 , Galatea , gernun , Hulya , kathymuggle , Lifted , LiLStar , lilyofjudah , luckyducky , lulu37688 , makuahine , mama24-7 , mamabear0314 , mamadance84 , mamamayhem , marilyn612 , Marumi , Maurine , MeepyCat , meowmix , metafisica , Milk8shake , MnMtm , Mommiee2010 , moominmamma , Mummyboo , Nicole77 , orangemomma , Poddi , primalmom , RollerCoasterMama , RuthAnn430 , SandiMae , sarafl , shantimama , sillysapling , simonee , sofreshsoclean , Springshowers , swissmiss2584 , Tigerle , TourmalineMama , worthy|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|