School district confusion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

So please help me out here. I am totally confused and the district office is confused too.

So lets say i used to live in Forest and dd went to the Forest School District. Then we moved to River, but petitioned for dd to go to Forest School District for continuity of education. 

next year dd will go to the River School district where we live now to start middle school. 

so for my application next year will she be an intra district student or inter district student? 

which is home district? the district you live in or the district you go to school in - if they are different?

for me logically she should be an inter district application, who gets first preference. She has not filled out the complicated paperwork of application in River District. However she did ask River Districts permission if she could continue going to Forest School District and that was granted. 

DD's situation has even confused the River District Office.

please help me think this through. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would think "intra" would refer to the district your home is in and "inter" would refer to the district outside your home (county/city) district.

I'm not sure, though. I think different municipalities and areas have different rules so what might be commonplace in Missouri would be unheard of in New Mexico or something. 

Does this help?

http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/fq/districttransfers.asp

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in our district, intra means for residents and inter refers to those that live in another school district:)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

i am not really sure i am getting it. 

what determines the application for next year. the residence of the child, or the school they are coming from. 

we should be an insider so interdistrict right?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies. 

reading that link at 4 am beanma suddenly made sense. 

Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Glad it could help. We don't really have that option here. In our district we just go where we're assigned unless there's some hardship (moved mid-year, etc) and they're not super flexible on that. We don't have any intra or inter district stuff. We do have charters that anyone can go to if they can get in the lottery.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

beanma i feel so incredibly lucky at how easy the process is where i am. the director didnt ask for any explanation or anything. 

with schools closing down and the budget many times the schools hands are tied just coz the option is just not there due to overcrowding. 

what happens here is your options of exactly where you want your child to go is VERY limited by the number of seats available. 

dd also is very lucky. she has always been at the right spot at the right time to get into. and inspite of our regular moves i am so thrilled we havent had to change schools. 

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

In my state, the district you live in is your home district regardless of where the child attends school.

Transfers to other districts are only for the school year, so the next year, the child has to reapply and can be denied attending the same school if the number of children living in the district has risen. However, children wanting to return to the school are given preference over other out of district kids who did not attend that same the previous year.

We don't live in the same state, and it might be a different deal  in your state. But here, she would have first preference for River School district because she currently lives in River district. Partly because they can't *force* a transfer if they parents don't ask for one because transfer students aren't provided transportation, and they legally have to provide transportation.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Linda its the similar deal here too. except that transportation is no longer a factor because bussing except for special needs students have all been eliminated. 

and yes that's what i am thinking too. that she should be in the River District. 

thanks for all  you guys' help for thinking this through with different explanations so i can talk to the district and help them with their confusion. 

yeah that means dd has a better chance to get into our school of choice.

Tags
School
User Tag List