if you are pro homework what are your reasons? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

I posted earlier but want to reiterate that I'm not "pro" homework because it the statement implies that I'm "pro" at all costs without any thought put into.  

I just wanted to put in my two cents here and say that I didn't read the OP like that. I just kind of figured that if were were on a thoughtful place like MDC that we were talking about quality, age appropriate homework that factor in the individual needs of each child/family. Factoring in ALL the types of HW that have been discussed on this thread, I suppose I'm more anti-HW than I am pro. But I am pro-(quality)homework. love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

But aren't kids likely to be getting parental coaxing and oversight? It seems like most of them on this thread are. 

Miranda

Sounds like not. That there are a lot of family schedules that require kids to do their homework in after care or on their own. For me, this would totally defeat the purpose of HW for my child's needs as they are right now. She requires an added layer if understanding far more than she needs practice of what she has already learned. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Well this is very different from what my daughter's teachers have told me. She has always been expected to do her homework without help, at every age. "If she can't handle it on her own, let us know, but don't help her."

We have the opposite - HW in my DC's school is for kids to do at home with their parents (or alone if they can, I suppose). The teacher hosts a homework club but that is for kids to check work with peers. HW isn't even collected. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#32 of 34 Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I just wanted to put in my two cents here and say that I didn't read the OP like that. I just kind of figured that if were were on a thoughtful place like MDC that we were talking about quality, age appropriate homework that factor in the individual needs of each child/family. Factoring in ALL the types of HW that have been discussed on this thread, I suppose I'm more anti-HW than I am pro. But I am pro-(quality)homework. love.gif

I understand what you're saying.  smile.gif  I just feel like I have to qualify things here sometimes because in some instances very stark lines are drawn between the pro people and con people.  I'm with you - I'm pro (quality) homework! 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#33 of 34 Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

I understand what you're saying.  smile.gif  I just feel like I have to qualify things here sometimes because in some instances very stark lines are drawn between the pro people and con people.  I'm with you - I'm pro (quality) homework! 

Yea!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#34 of 34 Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I suppose I'm more anti-HW than I am pro. But I am pro-(quality)homework. love.gif

yup that's my call too - but i didnt want to state my views first. i wanted an exploration of this subject without letting my views affect others views. 

That there are a lot of family schedules that require kids to do their homework in after care or on their own. For me, this would totally defeat the purpose of HW for my child's needs as they are right now. She requires an added layer if understanding far more than she needs practice of what she has already learned.

i think the added layer is where schools have problems meeting and hope the kids will get that at home. but how do you gauge that? i have discovered that with dd when i was going over her hw with her. dd has needed help in K - where she could not understand phonics they way they were teaching her in class (i got an online program and boom she got the gist of it before even half the program was over and she never completed it) and now in 5th in science where the textbook sometimes isnt very clear. I think with the majority of the kids (esp. in math and english) they need practise - to see all the odd cases.

For me to figure out if dd is understanding i have to go over the lesson with her from her textbook, or when she cant do a particular problem.  i have never had her come home and say hey mom we were talking about this but i didnt understand this part. 

We have the opposite - HW in my DC's school is for kids to do at home with their parents (or alone if they can, I suppose). The teacher hosts a homework club but that is for kids to check work with peers. HW isn't even collected. 

in the other school dd went, they had a lot of low income kids. they had a hw club and their 4th hour had extra hw help just coz they knew they wouldnt get hw help at home. 

in our present school, while the teacher does not expect the parents to sit with them and go over hw with their kids, they expect them to be aware that their kids have homework and that the children will do them. however if they DO expect the parents to look at something, that specific sheet has to be signed by the parent. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page