US Department of Justice Investigation into Discrimination aganist GA Public School Students - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Totally cross posting because I want to get the word out!

On Monday I am being interviewed by representatives from the US Department of Justice regarding their investigation into discrimination against GA public school students with disabilities!

From the The Southern Poverty Law Center:

The state of Georgia discriminated against students with disabilities by funding public schools through a formula that encouraged schools to unnecessarily segregate students with disabilities to receive greater funding. The Department of Justice launched an investigation after the Southern Poverty Law Center filed a complaint with the department charging the state of Georgia and the Georgia Department of Education with violating the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Additionally Dekalb County School District is under investigation by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges which provides accreditation to school districts.

So why am I being interviewed? Because my son has disabilities and has not been adequately served by his school district.

I am trying to bring as much attention to these issues as possible. Their are so many children without a voice. Parents don't know or understand their rights.

https://www.facebook.com/TeachJoshToRead Is our facebook page which is linked to our blog. Please pay attention to what is going on with public education. If we don't hold the people in power accountable they will continue to get away with not educating our kids and fattening their pockets with tax payer money.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” -Margaret Mead

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Awesome!!!  I'm so glad this is being looked into. Are you nervous at all? (I would be because I don't like speaking in front of people)

Please keep us updated about how it goes.

sending positive vibes dust.gif

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm actually not nervous. I am just really excited! The only thing I worry about is forgetting to say something so I am making a list to remind myself about important points. I'm ready to scream about this from the roof tops. I am also so glad that there is an investigation. It feels like I am trying to move mountains but I can't do it alone.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM

The list is the great idea. You can keep tweaking it over the weekend so you don't forget anything.

I'm so happy for you. champagne.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A list of points to make is a really good idea. I do this for IEP meetings, and it helps me keep my head together. It's intimidating!

Also, if you have all your school correspondance, testing info, and other documents, get them all together in an organized binder and bring that. Print emails, and bring any notes you have accumulated over the last several years. Documented information is powerful. (A special ed teacher at our school calls us "binder moms". It is seen by the school as a sign that the parents are paying very close attention. The vice principal has also asked to look through my binder because the previous special ed director had left DD's records in shambles.)

I read your blog. Your story is sadly very familiar. This keeps happening to people over and over and over across the country.
#6 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am a binder mom and I have three feet worth of binders! I haven't been able to get all the way caught up to present day yet on the blog; he's in 6th grade now and we had ESY over the summer. I also left out a lot of stuff. I am trying to keep the posts short so that people will actually read them smile.gif  My son's advocate and attorney said that his case is one of the worst they have seen that involves LD as primary eligibility. I am aware as to how common these stories are and it really makes me angry! I am especially angry knowing that children in poverty really get the short end of the deal. I feel like I have to fight not only for my son but for all the children. Our school district is a mess and is under investigate for a number of things. Just two years ago the superintendent was found guilty for embezzling school funds among other charges. 

Here's something funny <insert sarcasm> that just happened: My son is on hospital home bound for his severe school anxiety. He gets 2 hours of tutoring a day, M-F, from the county, math and language arts. We just got his report card in the mail and he had all As and one B. He had a B in health and an A in ELT as well as As in math and language arts. He isn't taking health or ELT so how the bleep does he have grades for these classes!!! duh.gif

#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Put 'em in a bankers box and bring them.

I sent you a PM.
#8 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I met with DOJ. They had a lot of questions! They also want me to send them copies of a bunch of my son's records, IEPs, FBAs, and so on. I think we are just getting started with something major!

#9 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM

clap.gif  I think this is very timely with so many schools nationwide cutting services due to financial strain. This is very important. 

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page