i think we have a bad teacher - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a teacher and also a mom of three school age kids. The biggest issue I had with a teacher was with my oldest in 3rd grade. The teacher had put the wrong "rode" on the test. The other word was "ride" which can be a noun or a verb. I had taught my son not to go by how it sounds, but look at the part of speech (yes, I am an English teacher). Since the teacher had put the wrong "rode" which can only be a verb, not a noun- He got the sentence wrong. When I pointed out HER mistake, I was told he was the only one who missed it. That's not the point! It was a grammar test! As a teacher, if I make a mistake on a test, I throw out that question. On a social studies test during election year, the correct answer to a test was supposed to be "The government will be electing a new president this year." Clearly, that isn't correct. The teacher I spent 30 minutes on the phone, I was told her credentials at least 10 times, and she ended up telling me maybe my son was learning too much at home. irked.gif

My younger two children did not have her.And the tests were changed.

In defense of teachers, most of us are facing incredible changes- new common core state standards, new methods of evaluation, new state tests for our kids to pass, new accountability procedures. All the while, more 504 and resource kids than ever and larger class sizes- I have been teaching 16 years and never seen so many stressed out teachers before.

That being said, there are bad teachers out there. If your child's teacher is always on the computer and giving worksheets, that should be dealt with. The administration will only know if someone says something. I would talk to the principal, voicing my concerns. You may not be the only one who is concerned. Oh, and 30 words a week is too many in second grade. IMO, there should be consistency among the grade levels. Maybe start the conversation with the principal with that aspect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

How can it be ok to have a teacher that is terrible at communication?!? Teaching involves communicating ideas and information to the students! Good communication skills are crucial!

There is a difference between communicating with a student and communicating with parents.

As a teacher, I am comfortable communicating with my students. I love kids....communicating with parents took some getting used to, though I was very aware of it. 

Also, new teachers take awhile to learn the ropes and community they are teaching in : which includes the fine nuances of communicating with parents, other staff, etc. Like everything else it take some trial and error and will come easier to some teachers than others.

It does not mean they are poor teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

My son's teacher, quite frankly sucks at communication with parents, in my opinion. We had some problems last year and he failed to communicate those issue with me. My son only had him for science last year. This year he is my son's primary teacher and wow was I nervous about that because I really had a bad taste in my mouth after the issues of the previous year. He still sucks at communication with parents, but he's a fantastic teacher for my son. I've stopped in for this or that and gotten to observe the classroom myself and he really has a great rapport with the students, he manages to be in control of the classroom without being controlling, he's patient with the kids even when they are being annoying. We just had conferences and he looked directly at my child and talked with him about his areas of strength and weakness and gave very clear feedback on what he sees from him in the classroom. He listened to him. My son really likes him, and is having one of his most successful years in school.

Just because he not great at communicating with me doesn't mean that he's not a good teacher.

I totally agree here and it reinforces with what I said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

In defense of teachers, most of us are facing incredible changes- new common core state standards, new methods of evaluation, new state tests for our kids to pass, new accountability procedures. All the while, more 504 and resource kids than ever and larger class sizes- I have been teaching 16 years and never seen so many stressed out teachers before.

That being said, there are bad teachers out there. If your child's teacher is always on the computer and giving worksheets, that should be dealt with. The administration will only know if someone says something. I would talk to the principal, voicing my concerns. You may not be the only one who is concerned. Oh, and 30 words a week is too many in second grade. IMO, there should be consistency among the grade levels. Maybe start the conversation with the principal with that aspect.

Again, I agree. Teachers are struggling with balancing the huge changes that have swept through education recently.

Also, some parent to teacher communication is heavily mandated (weekly letters home, emails run by administration)  by administration and other times the teachers are given free reign to communicate as they see fit.

Also, as a teacher--- I had both drop-in surprise visits and planned observations so the comment a PP stated on 'prepping' for a visit is not accurate in some cases.

For the OP, I really would try to establish a 'paper trail' of contact and also maybe ask to observe often. Also, sit down with teacher and discuss your concerns again- sometimes this works better than email or written notes. If that is not productive consult the principal.

#33 of 33 Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebeth View Post

3- She does not teach.  She gives the kids worksheets and tells them to complete them.  My DD has asked for help and been told no.  DD ends up coming home with worksheets marked 50%, 40%, etc and I ask her what went wrong, does she not understand, and she says, no, the teacher would not explain what the concept means.  I end up essentially homeschooling my child for 2 hours a night because the teacher does not teach.   She says that the teacher spends the majority of her time on the computer, and gives the kids worksheets to do all day.

I know you want to get along with the teacher for your daughter's sake, but I would be at the principal's office ASAP if I got those kinds of reports from my child.

Actually, the first time something like that came home, I'd send a quick note to the teacher saying "Can I check with you what the expectations are and how the worksheet was explained? My daughter says she doesn't understand and that she wasn't able to get help. Do you know if she asked you for help? What's the best way for her to approach you?"

If I didn't get a satisfactory response, I'd go to the principal. My niece had a teacher like this (only worse) in 3rd grade. She'd put on videos (and not educational ones!) for the kids to watch. My niece had a lot of catch up to do in 4th grade.

The good news, if there is any, is that there isn't a ton of new content introduced in second grade. It's a year for solidifying skills. But there's no way you should have to spend 2 hours with your child in the evening.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Tags
School

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page