What safety procedures does your school use? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I also read this story about that 1975 Brampton shooting, where 16 people were shot with 3 (including the shooter, self-inflicted) of them killed (according to a different story). Unbelievably, students who were outside the school and told that there was a shooter inside ran into the school to see what was happening.  

#62 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

klh

#63 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

our canadian elementary school locks all side doors during school hours. No signing in or badges needed, but parents can only get in through the front. there are fire and lock down drills. Certainly being Canadain doesn't isolate you from shootings. Just look at Taber, AB. There was an incident in our city last year where a juior high student brought a loaded gun to school (not to shoot anyone purposely, but to show off) and the gun went off in the backpack. luckily no one was hurt. The father was charged for not storing firearms appropriatly. I'm not sure if the child was charged.

#64 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post

Certainly being Canadain doesn't isolate you from shootings. Just look at Taber, AB. 

As for school shootings in Canada, yes, they have happened. In the past hundred years there have been six people murdered in Canadian [pre-college-level] schools. Six in a hundred years. Two in the last twenty-five years. It's incredibly rare.

Locking the doors does nothing to make them secure against a person with an assault rifle intent on a mass shooting. Admitting only people who are signed in through the secretary at the front door does nothing to prevent the other sorts of risks either. Our principal cites irate parents as one of the risks, but those people would be signed in through the front door in a heartbeat. 

These measures do nothing to increase real safety; they only serve to promote institutional alienation of school from community, something which plays right into the culture of fear which is at the root of violence in North America.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#65 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

So what do folks think the answer IS?

The NRA says armed guards in every school and a national registry of mentally ill people. [If you have ever suffered from depression, would you want to be in their registry?]

#66 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

The NRA says armed guards in every school and a national registry of mentally ill people. [If you have ever suffered from depression, would you want to be in their registry?]

And how are they going to pay for this? Our schools have some massive issues right now. Anything non-essential is being slashed. Teachers are being laid-off. Class sizes are getting bigger. We are going to find the money for armed guards while we systematically turn school into a MORE hostile environment thus creating MORE anger and resentment from students? 

A mental illness registry? How exactly is that going to help? Seems like half the country is diagnosed with something right now.

As for me, I actually feel we should be going the opposite way. I want more community involved in the school. I want schools to be smart and aware but I want them more open and hospitable. I want more compassion training. More fostering of multi-age friendships. I want more kids to graduate with a strong connection to their teachers, their schools, their communities. I'd like school to be the sort of place they want to protect than they want to escape.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#67 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

"As for me, I actually feel we should be going the opposite way. I want more community involved in the school. I want schools to be smart and aware but I want them more open and hospitable. I want more compassion training. More fostering of multi-age friendships. I want more kids to graduate with a strong connection to their teachers, their schools, their communities. I'd like school to be the sort of place they want to protect than they want to escape."

Absolutely. This. If we had such a set up in our local school I'd be much MUCH less likely to homeschool. In fact a really high proportion of our homeschooling time is an effort to get the kids involved in local life at all levels. While I find the liberal gun laws of the US kind of mind boggling, and I truly object to the idea that kids should have to be more and more sheltered from the community in which they live to be safe, rather than making the weapons less available, I don't think that this is the real issue. The real issue is the separation of schools from their community, of learning from life. I find it crazy and annoying that there are SO many resources locked up in our local schools-not least, fgs, large meeting spaces-which the community could make such great use of. 

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#68 of 68 Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

As for me, I actually feel we should be going the opposite way. I want more community involved in the school. I want schools to be smart and aware but I want them more open and hospitable. I want more compassion training. More fostering of multi-age friendships. I want more kids to graduate with a strong connection to their teachers, their schools, their communities. I'd like school to be the sort of place they want to protect than they want to escape.

clap.gif

Yay! This is it! I totally agree.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page