Question about school ? It's a public school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the past my son always spoke positive about school now it negative talk and now I wonder with something that occurred in our neighborhood that maybe he is now self conscious,and embarrassed. He also used to enjoy to have me there but then when I shared information to his counselor maybe he is mad at me for doing that and embarrassed that I mentioned it to some at school as I wonder if I only kept the stuff to deal at home would things have been better at school and at  home ?

#2 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi there! Can you share perhaps how old he is and what grade. If there is anything else to share about the nature of the difficulty without privacy concerns, that might help as well. At some ages kids are much more sensitive to these types of things than others.

#3 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He's 8 and 3rd grade

#4 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

It's kind of difficult to know, since you haven't shared any of the details about whatever might be provoking his self-consciousness and embarrassment. Yes, it could be causing his dislike of school, but so could myriad other things and I don't think any of us on this forum have the information that would help us offer an opinion on your question. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It may be that what is going on is linked to talking to the counselor or it may be part of his age. At that age my dd began experimenting with wanting to appear independent at school. She didn't want me volunteering and she needed me to support her by helping her figure out how to advocate for herself.

If there is bullying or he is having a hard time with some of the school work that might be affecting his attitude towards school. Fights with friends also temporarily affect how kids perceive school.

I suggest letting him know things are hard foe him now but you love him and are there if he needs to talk, readdress your concern with the counselor if you think the way things are being handled is causing more harm than good, and follow his cues for how much he wants your presence at school.

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page