How much homework is your 4th grader getting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am curious to know how much (if at all) homework your 4th grader gets a day?

My DS1 has reading, 2 work sheets, and a journal. Mon through Thurs. No Homework on weekends.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd has spelling for the week, the occasional project, and any work not completed at school which is rare. The teacher also assigns reading for 20 minutes but that is something my dd does anyways so it isn't an issue.
#3 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

30 minutes of reading and sometimes some questions to answer about that; one math sheet, although not every day, and occasional projects (this weekend she had to research koalas for an article she will have to write). No homework on weekends. We have her do some extra math practice (10 min?) most days, plus a short viola practice (10 min?) I think this is reasonable because she is able to do it without frustration and still have some time for playing or pleasure reading, watching TV, etc.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM

Similar... often some reading with q&a after, math practice, sometimes Spanish and occasionally a bit for her extra enrichment class. It is waaaay more than 3rd grade! And she is required to keep an assignment notebook and get initials from parents nightly. 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#5 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Mine has to much but I submit because she's learning another language but I don't like it. She has an English packet about 7 pages (pretty easy), 2 to 4 pages of math a night, 2 pages of chinese a day and one chinese summary per week and still we are expected to read with our children it's crazy to me. I think we are forgetting are children need to be kids and play and learn responsibility in the home such as cooking and cleaning.

#6 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM

My 4th grader is in a Montessori program, so it is light on homework. He sometimes has math practice worksheets (which he enjoys) given on Mondays and due the following Monday.

I, personally, as a parent of four school-aged kids couldn't handle supervising daily homework. I'm lazy, though. LOL. And have homework myself that I have to do (and a full-time job, and the rest of the responsibilities of raising a family and two dogs).

I'm anti-homework, so this set-up we have going on works well. I know from experience that once they get to middle-school, regular school, there may be nightly assignments... But luckily my oldest is responsible enough to get it done by herself, for the most part.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Oh, and my 3 younger kids attend a Wednesday tutoring/after-school program (Wednesday is half-day, here), so they can get help if they do have any homework from high school teachers and students, and I really love that. Usually they just have the kids read to them or come up with fun research projects and use computers, as my kids don't have much, if any homework.

Have I said I'm not a fan of hw yet? wink1.gif. It works out nicely.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Tags
School

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page