Gifted? To test or not to test? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel my son has some creative capacities that are beyond his years and I'd like to have him tested for "giftedness"  (I don't want to start a whole discussion on that, let's just leave it at that).  At his school there is a club for "gifted" kids that is by invitation only, no other separate curriculum.  I think he would enjoy it and also meet some like-minded kids.  My problem is I need to meet with the school psychologist before they do an evaluation and I'm just having such behavioral issues with him lately I don't know how I can be a good cheerleader for him right now.  Specifically he's been very hard to control (he's 8), he has boundless energy and he's pretty convinced that he shouldn't be treated "like a child" and told what to do.  Nothing crazy, but normal energetic boy things, and apparently one sign of giftedness.  I should also mention that he is well behaved at school.  Should I go through with it?

#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

You might try this in the Parenting the Gifted Child board.

If you feel it's appropriate, go through with the testing whether you think he's a bundle of energy or not. Most kids are best behaved when they are happy and engaged. Gifted kids aren't perfect. They're just unique learners. I have two and they have both challenged me at different times of their lives. But, the happier they are in school, the more reasonable they are at home. Just do it and see what happens.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrymother View Post

My problem is I need to meet with the school psychologist before they do an evaluation and I'm just having such behavioral issues with him lately I don't know how I can be a good cheerleader for him right now.  

First, there is a "Parenting the Gifted Subforum" here. You may want to cross-post there for more input since many of those parents will have helpful experience and insight. Also, in that subforum you will find previous threads about gifted children, behavioural issues, overexcitability, sensitivity issues, autonomy, asynchronous development, executive function, and school program accommodations for giftedness, as well as IQ assessments. Those are just a few topics that leap out at me from your post that you may find interesting and helpful. 

Second, I'm uncertain about what you mean when you say "I don't know how I can be a good cheerleader for him right now". It sounds like your son is facing some challenges right now and struggling a little. When our children are being challenged, isn't that when they need our help most? 

I think behavioural problems must not be used as an excuse for denying a student an appropriate educational program. It's difficult to tell from your brief post but it sounds like he is struggling with a significant need for autonomy, a cognitive level that makes him hungry for stimulation, and a lag in executive function and emotional maturity to manage the conflicts he is struggling with. Not feeding his educational needs isn't going to help him develop his executive functioning skills. 

I'll also say that the school psychologist is supposed to help you and your son sort out any issues and find some solutions. An objective professional view may be helpful. 

Finally, I would go ahead with the gifted assessment. It sounds like it is a good idea to get more information about his abilities and his learning preferences. 

#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I've posted over there as well. 

Thanks for all your feedback, already feeling better.

#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I think behavioural problems must not be used as an excuse for denying a student an appropriate educational program. It's difficult to tell from your brief post but it sounds like he is struggling with a significant need for autonomy, a cognitive level that makes him hungry for stimulation, and a lag in executive function and emotional maturity to manage the conflicts he is struggling with. Not feeding his educational needs isn't going to help him develop his executive functioning skills. 

Agreed. I think that his intelligence might be related to his current behavior. Some kids act out when bored. The reason to do the IQ test is to better understand children so that we can better meet their needs.

I suggest just being honest with the school psychologist about both his strengths and weakness. She went into that field because she thought it would interesting to figure kids out!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not an expert in gifted children and leave it to the fine Mamas in that forum to help you, but I do know that often children who are gifted intelligence-wise sometimes have 'asynchronous development,' or ways in which they are not up to speed, either in terms of specific learning challenges, sensory issues or social/emotional development. Getting a thorough evaluation will help you determine in which ways he is ahead and in which ways (if any) he is behind or average. This will help you target your efforts more successfully, if there is anything kind of lopsided going on (not literally! in terms of learning methods or social/emotional/self-regulation type stuff).

Keep us posted!

Tags
School

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page