Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay that's interesting to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

This site does a great job (I assume, didn't fact check) of connecting the dots in corporate influence on schools. It seems to me that this is your main concern and it's one I share too. Check this link: http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/  One of the admins of this site is a professor at my school in the department my degree is affiliated with. 

I found it by searching if there was an affiliation between Pearson and the Koch brothers because my instincts told me that if there was money to be had that the Koch brothers would be in there somewhere. ALEC is mentioned all up and down the article (WAY more than Common Core) as are the Koch brothers: 

Quote:
 Bryan Cave, LLP is the lobbying firm for Pearson. Edward Koch is currently one of the partners at Bryan Cave. Edward Koch sits conveniently and comfortably on the board for StudentsFirst NY, a branch of the national initiative StudentsFirst, which is the brainchild of failed former Chancellor of DC public schools Michelle Rhee. I

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have concern over this sentence it is not specific or explain other reform to me.

"For me, the fight against CCSS is a fight against the whole bundle package of reform efforts."

"I speak frequently with parents whose political opinions might differ from mine-but in our shared effort we have created new spaces to discover more about one another. We arrive at moment where “it’s about the children” and that is what matters most"

Well and good I guess.

He is wrong Alec does support the common core. Kris explains it thoroughly in his book. Why I believe Kris? Well I just do right now. He is a parent and an educator.

"My belief is that ALL parents and community members need to reclaim control…not just Conservative ones."

Well that's good and what we want. Local control.

Our concern is that the common core is not developmentally appropriate for the children and the teachers are not in control here. We are especially concerned with special needs children. I have a friend who has one and another friend who has a daughter with down syndrome.

"This is not why I, or many others, are fighting against CCSS, and it’s not reflective of the alternatives I wish to see. CCSS sucks for many reasons—but a communist overthrow isn’t one of them. A corporatist takeover is more like it."

Yes I agree we are concerned about the future of this country. And right now I am reading the novel 1984 by George Orwell to learn about The New World Order.

One thing I did learn from Obama's speech is that you cannot please everyone. He is suggesting quite a lot of pleasing going on there. "The future of our society, and the children we are to educate, embody multiracial, poly-vocal realities, children who are confronting a world with ever widening gaps between rich and poor, communities with increasing levels of food insecurity, housing insecurity, and an ecological crisis we cannot evade. The history of public schooling policies suggests we have never committed ourselves to really creating a space that equalizes opportunity or that empowers the voices and the lives of those whom history has sought to marginalize. Our next historical moment must re-embrace public education, fully funded and fully accessible, to all children; and we must create systems that enable communities to address structural social inequalities."

"Right now there are real education advocates running for public office to make real changes, notably Mark Naison running for Governor in NY" Yes and we totally support him.

His list sounds good but may not be possible. We have seen quite the economic recession here on the East Coast and having a job is a good thing. That's why teachers are put in a bad place. They have lost their right to teach developmentally appropriate material to the youngest learners.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Okay heads up! I like this!!!

http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM

I like that link too. For me (and I think you may not have understood where I was coming from with the Public School Shakedown article), the point in the recent turn in the discussion is that in the case of disliking the corporate influence of Common Core, one should not turn to the Tea Party for a better solution. Backers of the Tea Party are poised to profit from this no matter what happens. That's scary and a problem but "the enemy of your enemy is NOT your friend".  

Old 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM

This is interesting to me don't get me wrong but is it possible?

"The future of our society, and the children we are to educate, embody multiracial, poly-vocal realities, children who are confronting a world with ever widening gaps between rich and poor, communities with increasing levels of food insecurity, housing insecurity, and an ecological crisis we cannot evade. The history of public schooling policies suggests we have never committed ourselves to really creating a space that equalizes opportunity or that empowers the voices and the lives of those whom history has sought to marginalize. Our next historical moment must re-embrace public education, fully funded and fully accessible, to all children; and we must create systems that enable communities to address structural social inequalities."

I am concerned about the economic crisis this country is in but the President's speech yesterday did not ease my concerns. Have you read Bankruptcy 1995? I stumbled upon it at my sister and her now ex-husband's place. I presumed her ex bought it but really don't know. An interesting book. The thing is when Clinton got elected the second time me and my younger sister were very excited. That was a long time ago and the last time I even cared about politics. Then I hated the second Bush and voted against him but it was just one vote. This sums up my knowledge and participation in anything really political. Was for Obama but really have to question what he is thinking! Don't trash my political views please. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

I am not related to any tea party. I belong to a group called Southern Tier Parents Against Common Core which has 200 members and Stop Common Core in New York which has over 8,000.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Would you be ok with the CC standards if they were developed in New York? Which of the standards (let's just say the early elementary standards) do you feel are developmentally inappropriate? What do you think would make them more developmentally appropriate? What do you think is missing?

I have been in the early childhood profession (from toddlers through third grade) for almost 30 years (eek.) I have read all the elementary standards. I have two children in two very different elementary schools. Both use the CCS. I volunteer regularly in their classrooms for their literacy block and sometimes for math. I have never seen a child stressed out by the curriculum, beyond the normal work of school. If the school staff is creating an environment in which test scores rule, that is not a good thing. But, are the standards to blame? In my opinion, high stakes testing is a much bigger issue.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbrooks View Post

This is interesting to me don't get me wrong but is it possible?

"The future of our society, and the children we are to educate, embody multiracial, poly-vocal realities, children who are confronting a world with ever widening gaps between rich and poor, communities with increasing levels of food insecurity, housing insecurity, and an ecological crisis we cannot evade. The history of public schooling policies suggests we have never committed ourselves to really creating a space that equalizes opportunity or that empowers the voices and the lives of those whom history has sought to marginalize. Our next historical moment must re-embrace public education, fully funded and fully accessible, to all children; and we must create systems that enable communities to address structural social inequalities." 

I don't know but I sure hope so. 

Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM

I have a problem where my 5 year old has to be explained an entire module from Engage NY. She would not understand it otherwise without help. I also have a problem with the "new" math. It seems dumb and I was glad my 3rd grader still knew how to add and subtract the way I was taught. I am worried about my kindergartener though because I've heard it involves a lot of counting of sticks and if the homework takes longer then 10 minutes then the teacher says to stop and say so. This was happening to a friend of mine where her daughter was drawing or counting 170 sticks!!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 PM

I just looked at the focus areas for Engage NY math http://www.engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-mathematics. They look like pretty standard kindergarten math goals. They certainly aren't any different than my DS had way back when he was in pre-CC kindergarten. Some of the modules are pretty convoluted, but most are pretty typical.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a problem where my 5 year old has to be explained an entire module from Engage NY. She would not understand it otherwise without help.

But... that's the point of teachers and teaching.  Teachers explain what kids wouldn't understand otherwise without help.

My 6th grader wouldn't understand algebra and geometry without the teacher's help.  I am not considering this a problem.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM

The problem to me is that she is 5 years old and should not have any homework. Heck when I was 5 years old I had half day of school. Now here in NY they expect full day of school for kindergarten. Reason I started to put my 3 year old (the now 8 year old) in preschool was because of the full day for kindergarten. My 8 year old probably didn't get any homework in kindy. I say probably because I don't know. I had already lost custody of her. Not my fault and long story. My good smart friend from highschool is homeschooling her daughter who was in 2nd grade. She was counting 170 sticks seriously!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM

My progressive side does not like homework for elementary school. My DC attended a K-5 that does not do homework (they still don't and I don't expect that to change) based on the AK theories. It happens that although I live Alfie Kohn, I do think that homework (not busy work) that reflects the work done in the classroom is a great way for families to be connected to what's going on in school.  

But I do respect a parent of a school's ideas about homework for the early years. Despite not having any homework in K-5 my DC is doing just fine with a traditional (perhaps on the light side) load of middle school homework. I do not subscribe to the idea that kids "need" homework to prepare them for later in school or anything like that. I would have just enjoyed being part of my DC's schooling in a more intimate way, I guess. 

But, I have to ask...and this is an on going question that I'd love an answer to... do you know that the increase in homework that you're seeing is related to Common Core? Is there anything about homework in the Common Core Standards?  

Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM

No there isn't. Kindergartners at our elementary school still bring home the same monthly, non-curriculum related, calendar they always have. The kids choose which activities they want to do and take no more than a minute or two to do.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Sorry for the gazillions of typos, btw. Off to the sewing machine... :-)

Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
. do you know that the increase in homework that you're seeing is related to Common Core? Is there anything about homework in the Common Core Standards?  

yes and no. Our kindergartens have the same, minimal homework they've always had. Part of the point of it is keep the parents up on what the kids can and can't do.

First and up have more homework with our new, common core aligned texts. There isn't anything about homework under CC standards, however, there are these standards with high stakes testing, and one of the unintended consequences is more work. Part of the point of CC is to raise the bar at schools like the one where I work, so yeah, it is making more homework. How could it not increase homework to increase home much kids are supposed to learn? Again, this is an issue that effects different socioeconomic groups differently.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

yes and no. Our kindergartens have the same, minimal homework they've always had. Part of the point of it is keep the parents up on what the kids can and can't do.

First and up have more homework with our new, common core aligned texts. There isn't anything about homework under CC standards, however, there are these standards with high stakes testing, and one of the unintended consequences is more work. Part of the point of CC is to raise the bar at schools like the one where I work, so yeah, it is making more homework. How could it not increase homework to increase home much kids are supposed to learn? Again, this is an issue that effects different socioeconomic groups differently.

I definitely think socioeconomics plays a big part. At DS's school, homework has been pretty much the same since DS was in first grade. Four nights of math homework (one page per night,) word study 2-3 nights per week (children choose an activity to practice their spelling words,) and 20 minutes of independent reading/reading with a parent. At DD's school, teachers rarely give homework.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Tell me how come teachers are getting evaluated on how well their students test? What is that!!!! Something is very wrong with this new system!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

How could it not increase homework to increase home much kids are supposed to learn? Again, this is an issue that effects different socioeconomic groups differently.

I would think it has to do with how the school chooses to handle things. I'm not sure how many more changes are to come with CC but my DC's elementary hasn't changed their no-HW policy and my DC's super traditional 6th grade has a totally reasonable amount of HW. In speaking in depth with one of my DC's teachers regarding how to help my DC as a middle school student,  this teacher told me that he feels that all the education instruction should take place in the classroom and that parents and kids should do enrichment at home. 

I think I said up thread that my DC's teachers are all very sensitive to subject of socioeconomic diversity and I think keeping the teaching in the classroom is a big part of trying to level the playing field.  

I will admit my ignorance in that I didn't take CC to mean "more to learn" necessarily. But, I am at a disadvantage in that our DC changed schools this year anyway and to an IB curriculum that seems to go well with CC. For whatever reason (whether that be IB, CC, or just the principal or teachers) the school certainly goes DEEP into subject areas. If anything one could say my DC is learning "less" depending on how one tallies that sort of thing. 

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM

I don't think I can participate again! LOL I do not want to get into the nitpickiness of the common core but see the big picture. I think corporations have already taken over. I think democracy is even just a word. Do we really have a democracy anymore? All this discussion scared me to death to be honest and I want to take all my money out of my bank (which I'm unhappy with anyway) and stuff it under the mattress. But I need a bank account to get my direct deposit and to write checks to more corporations and I can only go to Walmart because I don't make enough to go somewhere else that might have even worse political agendas. Okay that's enough. I told you I thought too much!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Tell me how come teachers are getting evaluated on how well their students test? What is that!!!! Something is very wrong with this new system!
That is a definite concern. In theory, it sounds like a good idea, but in practice, it's unfair to both teachers and students.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM

I'm probably going to be stressing all night and I have my kids this weekend.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

That's not new. That is the same as "no child left behind"

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think I can participate again! LOL I do not want to get into the nitpickiness of the common core but see the big picture. I think corporations have already taken over. I think democracy is even just a word. Do we really have a democracy anymore? All this discussion scared me to death to be honest and I want to take all my money out of my bank (which I'm unhappy with anyway) and stuff it under the mattress. But I need a bank account to get my direct deposit and to write checks to more corporations and I can only go to Walmart because I don't make enough to go somewhere else that might have even worse political agendas. Okay that's enough. I told you I thought too much!!!

Credit unions accept direct deposits and are often far more ethical than big banks.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Okay we agreed on this!

Doesn't that give you the heebie jeebies and credit unions are not going to solve my immediate mental anguish.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Okay we agreed on this!

Doesn't that give you the heebie jeebies and credit unions are not going to solve my immediate mental anguish.

I hope that the discussion here is not causing your anguish -- it shouldn't. We are a group of parents and concerned citizens discussing a complex issues. All of us will disagree here and there because we are individuals with our own experiences and values. You are, by your own admission, learning about new ideas and are testing them here a bit. That's a GOOD thing. I hope you get clarity on the issues so you can move toward action. The thing is, we are all concerned about various things going on in our world. Some of this stuff is deeply depressing. BUT, if reading the news, about politics, about issues facing our environment and  the lives of the people in it causes you mental anguish to the degree that it seems, you will need to prioritize taking care of yourself right now.

I can't tell you how to do that but I can tell you what I do...  

I express gratitude. After this thread it occurred to me that I had been talking about schools more than doing anything for schools. This is not a good fit for me. So, I wrote a few letters this week. I wrote letters of gratitude to my DC's principal and included a special message about my favorite of DC's teachers. I also wrote a letter to the parent liaison at the district about BOTH of my DC's schools. I wanted to tell them my DC's transition from an alternative charter to a traditional middle school was seamless so that they could see that there is one parent out there that supports BOTH options for our city's students. I told my DC's current principal and the district parent liaison exactly what I like about the choices that are being made on behalf of my DC. 

That anti-Pearson site has an action plan at the bottom of their petition page. It's reasonable and respectful. Action may help, once (!) you've settled on which issues you want to focus on. 

Whatever you do (and this is the same with parenting!) you have to care for yourself. You will do no cause any good if it is causing you to come unhinged. 

Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 AM

Good people in my life have advised me not to come back here. It is upsetting me and I need to focus on positive things. I probably will not help checking but I hope I don't get pulled in again. I obviously cannot solve the worlds problems as my mother told me last night and she thinks this is a bad site for me to get involved in. Sorry but I have cried over things in the past and now I had about 4 hours of sleep last night when I get regular hours normally. My daughters principal I have emailed twice and have not gotten one response. I don't know if this is because there are no parental rights in NY or because I am a noncustodial mom or both. My daughters teacher did not respond to me and my next email to her is when can we meet basically. I have other problems like a huge court date for January 29th to get joint legal custody and unsupervised visits with my daughters. I have major depression and I recently changed medications so I have to deal with that and figure what might be wrong.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 AM

Certainly do what you need to do to take care of yourself!!  If you are getting email alerts that are drawing you back whenever someone posts to this thread you can adjust your settings so that you don't get unwelcome reminders of activity on this thread. Just above this window is a bar that has the word "preferences". Click that and go to the alerts bar and adjust your settings. No one has any obligation to continue participating in this thread!  

If you are being treated for depression, I'm sure that part of that treatment includes a focus on what makes you feel better and helps you make positive steps in your life. We both agree 100% with taking steps towards controlling for positive influences in life!  

Good luck with your hearing!  

:grouphug 

Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

This is the result of No Child Left Behind, not Common Core.

Tags
Popular On Mothering In 2013 , Education Discussions , Education , School
User Tag List