Common Core? - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is an article that someone said was bi-partisan. You said I could give you an article and ask your opinion on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/10/common-core_n_4537284.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

I read that one, Brooks. I'd happily give you an opinion on that article but this thread is causing you a lot of stress. Maybe it would be better to just take a break and focus on your trial. <3 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

What do *you* think of the article, slbrooks?

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Identitycrisis I just wanted your opinion. It's fine if you don't want to give it. I meet with my lawyer on Thursday and my 8 year old daughters teacher called me today! Apparently they were studying life cycles with the frogs and they did it over 9 sessions. The teacher told me there were some things she liked about common core and some things she did not. She would not specify what she did not but it was good she was open about it. She tries to incorporate social studies into the reading they are required to do and they discussed flags from other countries as an example. The teacher said slavery was not a topic that came up for them but she didn't know if it was discussed later in the grades. I guess she only knows 3rd grade being a 3rd grade teacher that makes sense. I like this teacher and had no problem speaking with her over the phone. Over the weekend, my 8 year old and I discussed the period and getting the menstrual cycle through a book called All About Girls. She was mostly interested in the pictures and would stop to read a little bit. I was able to separate my 5 year old away from this discussion and my mother distracted her. The 8 year old had no serious questions when we talked about the period which was good because I was worried she would and we'd have to talk about sex or something! God not sure when we will discuss that. Boy oh boy! When we looked at the chapters/pictures in the All About Girls book she asked about getting a bra and when she would need one and when I needed one. I told her I didn't remember that. I honestly am not sure and that it was different for everyone. So phew got through our first girl one on one! I told her not to mention the period with her girlfriends or her dad and she said yes she understood. She didn't think he knew what it was because he's a boy. Kid is too funny! I just told her he knew about it. I'd already told him that I was going to talk to her about this and he never said nothing so that is handled. There is a problem with her hair in that it doesn't get brushed and the boys tease her and she tells me she's never going to have a boyfriend. She asked me when she could have a boyfriend. I said when she was 16. She didn't like that too much and was negotiating with me for 14. It was a good weekend. I feel better emotionally myself and am reading that book by a parent about Common Core and she says she started out frightened like I am but became determined. That sounds encouraging anyway! This really is not a post about the topic though it's just me giving an update.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm glad you had such a nice weekend with your girls, Brooks!   

Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

OK, this is a good start. Thanks. I'm feeling a little frustrated with it but didn't want to mention it in my first post. :om I also understand that CC is going to be really hard to get away from, Homeschoolers are telling me that some of their favorite textbook companies (eg Saxon math) are turning to CC.

If anyone has favorite links for me, pro or con, please feel free to post them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_ruCR4S6s&feature=youtube_gdata_player Registered Nurse/Mother from Arkansas talks about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXf91AGW2QA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEXf91AGW2QA&app=desktop

Common Core facts & fictions, with graphs, maps, charts. What it is, what kids should know K-12. A lot of teachers, with 20, 30 years experience are against this. From what I have read, it seems to be unconstitutional, education should be left to the states, the local school boards. States have been bribed. The people involved with this are not even educators. Remember no child left behind? How did that work out?

A Stanford University professor who looked at this refused to sign off on it.

Does anyone know if Saxon Math has already turned to common core? 

Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Yes here is a good review of myths and facts about common core.

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/common-core-state-standards/a-review-myths-and-facts-of-the-common-core-state-standards/

Interesting question about the math.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 AM

I came across this interesting article. I also have been pondering the natural consequences (I wish there were) for our government completely disregarding the 10th amendment in which the states have control of the schools.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/something-is-rotten-in-the-state-of-education-the-abominable-common-core-cu
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM

Brooks, I would appreciate it if you would add a trigger alert if your links contain racist or homophobic content. Thanks. 

Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Here is another big article. This one was linked to me on my younger daughter's school Facebook page. It's published in the Washington Post and is a speech by Diane Ravitch. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/01/18/everything-you-need-to-know-about-common-core-ravitch/

Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbrooks View Post

I came across this interesting article. I also have been pondering the natural consequences (I wish there were) for our government completely disregarding the 10th amendment in which the states have control of the schools.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/something-is-rotten-in-the-state-of-education-the-abominable-common-core-cu

I am a Christian, but don't want my child's public school education to be Christian.

Do you realize whom you are allying with when you post pieces from these extremely conservative (even hateful) sites?  I'd like to think that you don't, but this isn't the first very questionable site you've linked to.  I do not find them objective or credible and am not going to click on any more of your links.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Here is another big article. This one was linked to me on my younger daughter's school Facebook page. It's published in the Washington Post and is a speech by Diane Ravitch. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/01/18/everything-you-need-to-know-about-common-core-ravitch/

I pulled some quotes from this speech that resonated with me or that reflect my experience.  (Reminder: I'm an English teacher at a high-poverty school.)

Quote:

What the advocates ignored is that test scores are heavily influenced by socioeconomic status. Standardized tests are normed on a bell curve. The upper half of the curve has an abundance of those who grew up in favorable circumstances, with educated parents, books in the home, regular medical care, and well-resourced schools. Those who dominate the bottom half of the bell curve are the kids who lack those advantages, whose parents lack basic economic security, whose schools are overcrowded and under-resourced. To expect tougher standards and a renewed emphasis on standardized testing to reduce poverty and inequality is to expect what never was and never will be.

This is so evident in my district and my school.  There's another high school in our district that is much wealthier and higher performing.  For some reason (gee, I wonder why?) that school really gets to set the agenda for discussions about what goes on at the HS level district wide.  The assumption, and an erroneous one, is that that school is doing something right, while we're doing something wrong.  No, they have kids who come ready, who believe in the system, whose families are supportive and provide enrichment.  They have the easy task: educate students who are ready and willing to be educated.  Those are not my students.  My task is very different.  At my school, any student who is academically motivated self-selects into the AP track, even if they're not really ready for advanced classes, because they hate being around the other kids.  The energy in the room of a regular or remedial class is so draining and hostile and discouraging.  I'm not blaming my kids for their circumstances or their reactions to their circumstances, but simply pointing out that what needs to be done to help those kids learn is VERY different than what needs to be done for other kids in our school and district.

Quote:

After all, raising the bar might make more students fail, and failure would be greatest amongst those who cannot clear the existing bar.

Our scores will absolutely plummet.  They will be awful, and we've been working hard to prepare for the CC.  Other districts haven't spent as much time as ours has in getting ready.

Quote:

The financial cost of implementing Common Core has barely been mentioned in the national debates. All Common Core testing will be done online. This is a bonanza for the tech industry and other vendors. Every school district must buy new computers, new teaching materials, and new bandwidth for the testing. 

Our school's infrastructure can in no way support the testing that we will be required to start doing next year.  We don't have the space or adequate technology.                                                                

Quote:

Early childhood educators are nearly unanimous in saying that no one who wrote the standards had any expertise in the education of very young children. More than 500 early childhood educators signed a joint statement complaining that the standards were developmentally inappropriate for children in the early grades.

I've heard this through the grapevine.  As a parent of a kinder, I wonder about this.

Quote:

This idea that informational text should take up half the students’ reading time in the early grades and 70% in high school led to outlandish claims that teachers would no longer be allowed to teach whole novels. Somewhat hysterical articles asserted that the classics would be banned while students were required to read government documents. The standards contain no such demands.

Oh dear!  This is the crisis of the English department!  Even within the department we can't agree on how to interpret this, because...

Quote:

Defenders of the Common Core standards said that the percentages were misunderstood. They said they referred to the entire curriculum—math, science, and history, not just English. But since teachers in math, science, and history are not known for assigning fiction, why was this even mentioned in the standards? Which administrator will be responsible for policing whether precisely 70% of the reading in senior year is devoted to informational text? Who will keep track?

But we know (or believe) that the other departments won't teach skills necessary for doing well on the assessments.  They're too focused (in the view of the English dept.) on their content and don't spend time teaching skills to help students access their content.  Some in my department believe that we should include more non-fiction reading to teach those skills, others want to encourage the rest of the teachers in the building to pick up some slack. 

That's just some of what I can relate to in that speech.  It aligned pretty well with what I've been hearing over the last few years.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post

Our school's infrastructure can in no way support the testing that we will be required to start doing next year.  We don't have the space or adequate technology.                                                      

I'm not being snarky, I promise, but what will happen if you can't test as you are required to?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I'm not being snarky, I promise, but what will happen if you can't test as you are required to?

I don't really know, actually.  We have poor leadership in our school, so our admin team will probably wait until the last minute to tackle this issue, and then somehow thrust some impossible plan on the English dept.  

NCLB punishes schools for not testing everyone or enough students in each sub-group, and I think that still applies with CC.  That would mean that our report card would list us in a negative light.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks, GB!  I liked the article (even if it did feel like more of the same). It made me really curious about what the future holds for the schools in my city - especially, perhaps, the charter schools that are not at all equipped to handle computerized testing and who thrive because of their unique values about budgeting and ways for meeting kids' needs. 

Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
 This idea that informational text should take up half the students’ reading time in the early grades and 70% in high school led to outlandish claims that teachers would no longer be allowed to teach whole novels. Somewhat hysterical articles asserted that the classics would be banned while students were required to read government documents. The standards contain no such demands.

Oh dear!  This is the crisis of the English department!  Even within the department we can't agree on how to interpret this, because...

Quote:

Defenders of the Common Core standards said that the percentages were misunderstood. They said they referred to the entire curriculum—math, science, and history, not just English. But since teachers in math, science, and history are not known for assigning fiction, why was this even mentioned in the standards? Which administrator will be responsible for policing whether precisely 70% of the reading in senior year is devoted to informational text? Who will keep track?

But we know (or believe) that the other departments won't teach skills necessary for doing well on the assessments.  They're too focused (in the view of the English dept.) on their content and don't spend time teaching skills to help students access their content.  Some in my department believe that we should include more non-fiction reading to teach those skills, others want to encourage the rest of the teachers in the building to pick up some slack. 

Interesting. I will admit that I don't relate all that well to the hoopla over the 70/30% thing. But, I do relate to what you're saying about the need to teach reading skills along with the informational text requirements. But, I have a relatively young child. Is it possible that by the time kids are in higschool that it's reasonable to expect that they can read informational texts in the other subject areas without so much need for skill building?  At that the skills they learn in English in higschool (both in literature and non-fiction) can do the job of moving them along with reading skills? 

Both of my DC's schools focus on interdisciplinary education -- so they incorporate arts, language arts, math, science, and etc. in a lot of subject areas. 

Old 01-19-2014, 04:59 PM

I think our kids are about the same age, ICM (mine is in 6th grade, which is the first year of middle school here) and there is a fair bit of reading in all of my daughter's classes.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM

Yes, I think that's the case for my DC as well. I mean, they do read quite a bit for social studies, obviously. But also for science and technology. It seems like less for math and so far less for Spanish as well. I imagine there is some reading for music and visual arts. I can ask her. I do think that having some specific instruction in reading (especially for science) is a very good thing at this age. But, again, that's something that seems like a challenge no matter what.  I'm not sure I fully understand what GB means, maybe?  

GB are you saying that the subject areas where kids are getting part of their 70% informational material are not teaching them how to perform on tests?  Of that in general students reading material in subject areas other than English are not being well prepared to access the material?  

Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Many teachers, as of middle school and high school, assume that because kids can read that they need only assign reading, and not teach it.  The reality is that different genres of text, or texts with additional complexity cannot be read by all students.  There are reading strategies used by educators or other "good students" that may have been picked up by osmosis of sorts, that need to be explicitly taught to most readers.  The same is true of assigning writing without giving any writing instruction.  Many teachers in subject areas outside of language arts were never taught how to help kids access the reading they assign or how to accomplish the writing tasks that they assign. (My sincere apologies to teachers out side ELA who do this explicit reading and writing instruction!)  Let's face it, many LA teachers assign reading and writing without reading and writing instruction.  I used to be one of them.  I thought that they already learned how to do that.

Things like:

Building background

Setting a purpose for reading

Making a claim (thesis)

Supporting with evidence from the text

Making inferences

Note taking

Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Brooks, I would appreciate it if you would add a trigger alert if your links contain racist or homophobic content. Thanks. 

Not sure what you mean because we might not be seeing the same thing. My link shows me some pro-life stuff which I don't agree with but I'm not seeing any racist or homophobic content?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post

Many teachers in subject areas outside of language arts were never taught how to help kids access the reading they assign or how to accomplish the writing tasks that they assign. 

Yea, yea, yea!! That makes total sense to me. But I was wondering where the issue becomes more of a concern with CC? 

Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean because we might not be seeing the same thing. My link shows me some pro-life stuff which I don't agree with but I'm not seeing any racist or homophobic content?

Your most recent link has a bar at the top that reads "homosexuality" and links to their anti-gay-rights watch. Another website you linked has a strong anti-Muslim sentiment.  I really don't need a side of that with my articles on education and would appreciate a heads-up so I can just avoid driving traffic to sites like that. 

Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM

I don't think I will be coming back much to this interesting topic. I am going to teach my children when I have them. Next weekend I'm teaching them about slavery and black history because it is black history month! I found some boards for homeschooling on pininterest and I will be teaching my daughters age-appropriate US history! I am so excited about it. If I feel the common core doesn't teach them enough I can fix that. Also it allows me to be more of a parent and teach them something that is important for them to know. My daughter got 100 on her last math test but her father who is a computer engineer has been helping her with it. He suggested I help her with it too but I came back with I'm teaching her black history!!! So cool! I may be in the homeschool topic more now. My sister told me once that if I didn't like what the kids were learning to teach them myself. Well now I am going to be!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM

Weird I never notice noise like that I just read the darn article.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Weird I never notice noise like that I just read the darn article.

By posting them and driving traffic to the sites you are endorsing them.  This is why I will not click on any more of your links.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM

I never saw anything on homosexuality just pro life!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Many teachers, as of middle school and high school, assume that because kids can read that they need only assign reading, and not teach it.

Huh.  I just asked my middle-schooler and she agreed with this.  That's a bit distressing.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I never saw anything on homosexuality just pro life!

Quote:

Abortion
    Bioethics
    Contraception
    Culture of Life
    Editorial
    Euthanasia
    Faith
    Family
    Freedom
    Homosexuality
    Newsbytes
    Politics
    Population Control
    Stem Cells

This is on the top bar of the site you linked.  They apparently oppose contraception as well as homosexuality.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM

I've seen it now but I'm not sure they oppose it. They might just report on it. I clicked and saw some articles. Unfortunately the article on common core is the best one I've seen written in a while.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM

They are deeply conservative and oppose contraception, abortion, and homosexuality.

The Common Core article seems to mourn the lack of Christianity in public schools.

Tags
Popular On Mothering In 2013 , Education Discussions , Education , School
User Tag List