Common Core? - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#451 of 482 Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I've also been reading a lot from Susan Ohanian, and I've really come to admire her. I'm kind of surprised that opposition to CC is associated with the Right. I don't see it as a partisan kind of thing.

Honestly, I don't really get into those articles and blog posts that bemoan all of the "propaganda" and "indoctrination" from Common Core-aligned curriculum. Schools will always be doing and teaching something to piss somebody off. Always. Common Core or none. Our country is too pluralistic for this not to happen.

I'm mostly nervous about the process of implementation, (closed-door meetings, heavy corporate influence, the Dept. of Ed playing carrot-and-stick games with states, zero parental or even relevant expert involvement, etc), the shaky and almost non-existent research foundation for these standards, and the whole process of sticking our children on an assembly line. Speaking to the latter, I'm glad that some of your children are doing well under the new standards. Not every child will. greensad.gif But I guess I'm stating the obvious.

Mostly, I feel like I had to come back and post because I feel that by starting this thread months ago, I kind of did a hit-and-run posting job. :sheepish

It's been a fascinating thread to read, though. Carry on!
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#452 of 482 Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Checked out Susan Ohanian - not sure how I like her from what I've read so far.  Can you link couple of articles that you liked, T?

Reading one article, I've noticed about myself that my opinion about people who compare the US education system to the systems in EU countries drops once I see that. There are way, way too many factors to compare for someone to make any good case for x,y,z being what the EU does right compared to whatever point someone is trying to make about what we do wrong. 

And, again, I do think she makes a lot of good points....and I am open to the idea that CC is making some things that we are all worried about worse but so much that she is discussing has been a problem for the entire time my kids have been in school - and much of when I was in school. For some reason, it feels like people who care about these things are barking up the wrong tree. And, I'll admit that that's when it starts to feel political to me. (One article on her site refers to CC as "The Obama administration's Common Core). It feels a touch dishonest to bundle this up with CC rather than address the problems and then discuss CC for the ways that it either doesn't address problems or makes them worse. Unless the issue is truly primarily about CC - which so few anti-CC arguments seem to be. 

I could be biased (I probably am!) but articles from the progressive end of the opposition seem to be more honest about this. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#453 of 482 Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM

It looks like Ohanian ID's as a progressive. But, I don't agree with her assessment about "toothless progressives" on this issue. In general, I think it's GOOD to acknowledge that all of our problems as a culture are intertwined and complicated. Yes, that makes it harder to build an angry grass-roots group if you acknowledge this, but it's an honest way of communicating that I expect from educators.  

I do wonder how teachers of various backgrounds can live through all sorts of reforms and then settle where they do on this and other issues. I do like reading all the different views on the subject. What I don't love is the implication that disagreement means that someone isn't paying attention (which is a vibe I get from Ohanian and others).  Not personally (because I really wasn't paying attention) but as a protective instinct for friends. 

On informational texts -- I'm reading a book on the value of nonfiction written in 2003. It's compelling. 

#454 of 482 Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

This one kind of punches at the gut: http://vtdigger.org/2013/08/13/ohanian-28-questions-about-the-common-core/ Not my state, but the questions are adaptable elsewhere.

I don't think that anyone is denouncing or otherwise poo-pooing the value of non-fiction. Making it a landslide priority over fictional works is the practice that's coming into question. This is a really heart-over-head op-ed, but it struck a special cord with me: http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2013/01/another_reason_to_teach_litera.html

I didn't quite follow this sentence, ICM:

"It feels a touch dishonest to bundle this up with CC rather than address the problems and then discuss CC for the ways that it either doesn't address problems or makes them worse."

I agree that calling it "Obama's" Common Core may be missing the mark. Sure, the President is responsible for the actions of his administration. But I kind of doubt that Obama has a clue as to what is going on with CC. He should, ideally, but I don't think he does. Referring to it as "his" makes it sound like he founded it, kind of like how "Obamacare" isn't really "Obama's" if you consider all of the factors that went into crafting the ACA. In the God-forbid scenario of a Romney Administration, we still would have seen Common Core. I truly believe that. Education "reformers" have been up to their schtick regardless of which party has been in power.

My mom's a retired teacher. I told her about CC, and she just shrugged and said that as an educator, she's lived through more bullshit than she can enumerate. lol.gif She believes that this will pass when the next fad comes along. I'm coming around to agreeing with her.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around all of the cliches, rhetoric, and marketing terminology. It's all about baseless, unquantifiable, evidence-free abstractions like "college and career-readiness," "academic rigor," "critical thinking," blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, but who ISN'T going to make those claims about their favorite approaches to education? We need a solid evidence foundation, not a slick sales pitch.

I've heard anecdotes from college professors about how they're seeing new crops of freshmen who can't write a coherent paper, much less a coherent sentence. Fair enough. But first, where's the evidence that CC is the panacea to this problem? And second, we can't have it both ways. Teenagers are hearing the unquestionable dogma that they must, must, MUST go to college in order to make any kind of living. (No one tells them that they'll be 100K in debt and making $10/hour after graduation. But why spoil THAT surprise? eyesroll.gif) So teens who, while perfectly intelligent, may not feel cut out for college or want to go to college are going anyway. Now that college is supposed to be for EVERYBODY, it isn't fair to expect that EVERYBODY come in with the same set of academic skills.

Sorry to ramble incoherently. I never get time for posting until it's late and I'm tired. Maybe I could use some Common Core ELA training. winky.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#455 of 482 Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Making it a landslide priority over fictional works is the practice that's coming into question. This is a really heart-over-head op-ed, but it struck a special cord with me: http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2013/01/another_reason_to_teach_litera.html

This is a quote from that article: "The standards do not require students to read novels, and time pressure will make it difficult for teachers to assign even one novel in any high school English course."

I didn't know that the new standards don't require novels, however, they are still reading novels at my DD's highschool, multiple, long, difficult ones.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#456 of 482 Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

This is a quote from that article: "The standards do not require students to read novels, and time pressure will make it difficult for teachers to assign even one novel in any high school English course."

I didn't know that the new standards don't require novels, however, they are still reading novels at my DD's highschool, multiple, long, difficult ones.

Apparently, she doesn't consider novels to be literature.

"Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.11-12.10
By the end of grade 11, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, in the grades 11-CCR text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

By the end of grade 12, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, at the high end of the grades 11-CCR text complexity band independently and proficiently.

By the end of grade 12, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, at the high end of the grades 11–CCR text complexity band independently and proficiently."

And if you look at the Text Exemplars in Appendix B (http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_B.pdf), there are many novels listed.
#457 of 482 Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
My mom's a retired teacher. I told her about CC, and she just shrugged and said that as an educator, she's lived through more bullshit than she can enumerate. lol.gif She believes that this will pass when the next fad comes along. I'm coming around to agreeing with her.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around all of the cliches, rhetoric, and marketing terminology. It's all about baseless, unquantifiable, evidence-free abstractions like "college and career-readiness," "academic rigor," "critical thinking," blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, but who ISN'T going to make those claims about their favorite approaches to education? We need a solid evidence foundation, not a slick sales pitch.

I agree with this and with your mom Turquesa. I think this too shall pass. And good teachers will work around it.

Right now in North Carolina, as Polliwog can attest, we're up in arms over 3rd grade reading requirements that really have nothing to do with Common Core. Our legislature in all their wisdom saw fit to decree that all 3rd graders have to pass reading assessments or flunk 3rd grade and have to repeat it. I am all for reading fluency as a goal for 3rd grade, but they are really putting the screws on the kids and teachers with this one. Basically they're saying if you don't do well on the EOG you flunk, or alternately the teachers can assess reading skills based on a portfolio which the legislature has deemed shall consist of 36 separate tests throughout the year. A lot of teachers and schools are opting for the portfolio so they don't have to have the do or die situation of the EOG, but 36 tests!!?! Ugh. I, selfishly, am really glad that my youngest is in 4th grade this year. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9410766

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#458 of 482 Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I agree with this and with your mom Turquesa. I think this too shall pass. And good teachers will work around it.

Right now in North Carolina, as Polliwog can attest, we're up in arms over 3rd grade reading requirements that really have nothing to do with Common Core. Our legislature in all their wisdom saw fit to decree that all 3rd graders have to pass reading assessments or flunk 3rd grade and have to repeat it. I am all for reading fluency as a goal for 3rd grade, but they are really putting the screws on the kids and teachers with this one. Basically they're saying if you don't do well on the EOG you flunk, or alternately the teachers can assess reading skills based on a portfolio which the legislature has deemed shall consist of 36 separate tests throughout the year. A lot of teachers and schools are opting for the portfolio so they don't have to have the do or die situation of the EOG, but 36 tests!!?! Ugh. I, selfishly, am really glad that my youngest is in 4th grade this year. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9410766

HA...it stinks. I had a long post that just deleted itself. I'll restyle it later.
#459 of 482 Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I didn't quite follow this sentence, ICM:

"It feels a touch dishonest to bundle this up with CC rather than address the problems and then discuss CC for the ways that it either doesn't address problems or makes them worse."

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Your joke about needing to revisit an education in writing rings home for sure. ;-)  

What I meant was that in a lot of the articles I've read and some of the discussion here it seems like the discussion is really about trends in education that have been going on for a LONG time. Many are things that I'm not about to defend. But, I am happy to question why so much energy is funneled into anti-CC when many of these problems existed before CC and will probably be around way after. I do very much think that looking at the ways CC is either not going to be effective or will make bigger problems is a good thing to talk about but in some ways I think the focus on CC alone takes away from the bigger issues. 

Take what's going on in NC like Beanma and Polliwog are talking about (terrible, btw, does this not totally contradict current research on retention?). Incidentally the teachers in my city are all up in arms over a clause in the teacher's union contract about email. 

Because of this thread I have read far, FAR more anti-CC articles than anything outright supporting it (according to Ohanian, the NYT is totally biased, I'm not sure of that).  If there were some articles that described CC as an embodyment of the trends they do not like in American education, my ears would perk right up - but so far I'm not seeing that. 

I do like Ravitch but I don't agree with one of her premises, which is that American education was doing just fine before CC, so that makes the rest of what she says difficult for me to accept. 

#460 of 482 Old 02-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Your mom may be right!  I am reading about the Common School Movement for one of my classes. It seems school reform, standardization, and testing aren't anything new. And, in fact, may be part of the origins of public education. I don't think I can share my course content but I found this article that's pretty interesting: http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk1/1992/9236/923606.PDF

#461 of 482 Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
And if you look at the Text Exemplars in Appendix B (http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_B.pdf), ...

----

I looked this document over.  I was pleasantly surprised to see some good literature I approve of here- though I'm not thrilled with the timing of everything.  Which is to say, some books come later than I'd like to see and others, earlier than I would feel is age appropriate for my kids.  What really struck me though was the bias of the non-fiction literature reflective of early America which was chosen as a focus for the students in the highschool range.  This is one reason that I talk with my kids about everything we read.  A more mature mind can usually spot bias a lot easier than a developing one.  Still, disturbing that it's there and now going to get taught as truth to all American children.

Quote:

I humbly disagree that CC will just pass until the next educational fad begins.  It takes a long time to implement national standards and it will take a long time to remove them if that becomes a goal in the future.  Making something a national standard will have long term affects- not just on curriculum and what our students are taught, but on national standardized testing like ACT's and SAT's students use to get into college.  Students will be required to reflect whatever bias remains in the CC regardless of it's accuracy or truth.  I suppose if you're politically aligned with everything in CC, you're a pretty happy camper right now.  Still, instead of promoting free thought, teachers will begin to "teach to the test" and other quality instruction could be lost.

Additionally, I think America's diversity in education is a strength, not a weakness, as proponents of CC claim.  I'm not saying there aren't schools that don't need to increase their expectations... But I doubt that CC will "level the playing field" as is it's supposed goal, rather it will be effective in boxing in our youth- everyone outside of the box loses- whether they are gifted or remedial- and that's a truly sad loss for our kids.

Well... that's the way I see it.  Concerns are deep rooted, with good reason.

#462 of 482 Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by research babe View Post

Still, instead of promoting free thought, teachers will begin to "teach to the test" and other quality instruction could be lost.

Hasn't that been a criticism of education in the U.S. for ages, especially since the implementation of NCLB? It might be a continuing concern with CC, but it's certainly not something that's beginning with CC.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#463 of 482 Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Additionally, I think America's diversity in education is a strength, not a weakness, as proponents of CC claim.  I'm not saying there aren't schools that don't need to increase their expectations... But I doubt that CC will "level the playing field" as is it's supposed goal, rather it will be effective in boxing in our youth- everyone outside of the box loses- whether they are gifted or remedial- and that's a truly sad loss for our kids.

I'd like to know more about what you mean by diversity in this comment. Do you mean diversity of expectations?  I'd agree with you so long as the diversity of expectations were based on the child under the care of a skilled teacher, school or local board of education.  But, as a result in part from NCLB schools had drastically lowered their standards for the pending 2014 deadline (funny that we have not reached NCLB's deadline and are already on to different reforms). These standards were not diverse for good reason. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Hasn't that been a criticism of education in the U.S. for ages, especially since the implementation of NCLB? It might be a continuing concern with CC, but it's certainly not something that's beginning with CC.

Yes, I think so. 

I'd love if someone who discusses opposition to CC for reasons that have been trends in education for a long time would address this question. 

#464 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, I'm not politically aligned with it. But I have lived through Goals 2000, America 2000, No Child Left Behind, New Math, etc. The "reformers" always have something up their sleeve and are constantly changing the playing field. I've started to view them as over-zealous obstetricians. Both keep intervening unnecessarily in a natural process. Learning and childbirth usually occur at their own accord, and over-tampering with them can produce adverse results. High-risk situations, of course, require expert intervention. But I'm being generous in assuming that CC was authored by experts!

#465 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Well, this is where matters get ridiculously partisan. All of the Republicans who rah-rahed NCLB are now outraged by the teach-to-the-test demands of Common Core. But all of the Democrats who roared at NCLB are zipping their lips now that the Obama administration has renewed NCLB and exacerbated much of it with Common Core. The pros and antis of Common Core are coming from both ends of the spectrum.

#466 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I do like Ravitch but I don't agree with one of her premises, which is that American education was doing just fine before CC, so that makes the rest of what she says difficult for me to accept. 

I need to be careful before I say too much because I haven't read her books. But I've heard Ravitch interviewed, and my impression is that she didn't say that American education was doing "just fine before CC" but that it was doing well before the whole "education reform movement" came into play. CC is simply a fruit from the same tree. Corporations, business leaders, and textbook companies started really dipping their hands in the matter at the tail-end of the Reagan Administration. Ravitch herself served under Bush, Sr. and was one of such "reformers." She's turned an about-face and writes so passionately against this movement.

#467 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I need to be careful before I say too much because I haven't read her books. But I've heard Ravitch interviewed, and my impression is that she didn't say that American education was doing "just fine before CC" but that it was doing well before the whole "education reform movement" came into play. CC is simply a fruit from the same tree. Corporations, business leaders, and textbook companies started really dipping their hands in the matter at the tail-end of the Reagan Administration. Ravitch herself served under Bush, Sr. and was one of such "reformers." She's turned an about-face and writes so passionately against this movement.

I've seen her interviewed as well and have read some of her articles. I remember specifically her talking about how the US compares to the EU on testing and she used that to suggest that schools were doing well. I didn't love the comparison to Europe. I lived there -- there is no good way to compare the US school system to other countries.  And also,  from my reading (it turns out that one of the classes I'm taking is a history of American public education), there is no "before the reform movement".  

A lot of this comes down to my nature. I think I'm a reformer by nature. I'm not opposed to reforms. I think it's natural to look at education and try to come up with ideas for improvement. But, I do agree that CC is fruit off the same tree. 

#468 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM

I just read one article that suggested that Ravitich suggests that the real issue is poverty. For that I 100% agree!  This article is a good intro but...but...the reforms she offers are kinda' silly, especially if she wants to reduce class size. Of course I won't pretend to know the answers. I do hope that CC will work well for a lot of kids. It seems to be working for mine.   

#469 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

And also,  from my reading (it turns out that one of the classes I'm taking is a history of American public education), there is no "before the reform movement".  

I agree with this. You had the National Defense Education Act in the late 50s, "new math" in the 60s, open classrooms in the 70s, then "Why Johnny Can't Read" and the "back-to-basics" movement, the rise of the middle school as opposed to the Jr High (I went to both, and preferred Jr High), spiral curriculums, etc, etc. We've been reforming all along, including integration (a HUGE reform), Head Start, magnet schools, etc.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#470 of 482 Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ravitch may have been referring, then, to before HER own epic of the reform movement. Speculating because I haven't read her book, and her interviews didn't provide enough context . . .

Reforms usually come to remedy a crisis. Our System must be in a perpetual state of educational crisis since the age of Dewey. It's a wonder this nation has produced any inventors, innovators, entrepreneurs, scientists, world leaders, surgeons . . . . :headscratch

#471 of 482 Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Ravitch may have been referring, then, to before HER own epic of the reform movement. Speculating because I haven't read her book, and her interviews didn't provide enough context . . .

Reforms usually come to remedy a crisis. Our System must be in a perpetual state of educational crisis since the age of Dewey. It's a wonder this nation has produced any inventors, innovators, entrepreneurs, scientists, world leaders, surgeons . . . . :headscratch

I'm not going to trash Ravitich because her credentials certainly speak for themselves. I wonder if part of the debate over how much fixing we need has to do with where you live. And then it's hard to talk about fixing when testing often what we use to evaluate that. The majority seem to want less testing (I know I do) but we kick ourselves in the foot because we refer to them all the time, it seems. In my city, you don't need test scores to tell you that something needs fixing though. All you have to do is look at the outside of many of our city's schools. We had a great movement to renovate school facilities. That's a great start. 

I'd like to read more from anti-CC folks what they think should be done. If the answer is that there is nothing wrong, I'd beg to differ.  With CC, I do think that the fewer/deeper idea is really good. That's the one thing I've seen for my own child that really resonates with me. In part because it works for her but also because this is something that I see has having a potential leveling effect in my town. 

The chances of me really liking the reforms suggested by Ravitich seem pretty good. By "silly" I meant just that it seems unachievable right now -- not that more qualified teachers and smaller classrooms (two suggestions she gave) doesn't seem like a great plan.  I'd add smaller schools to that list too. And, getting out from under inequity and poverty would have the greatest impact of all.

In articles she also talks a lot about corporatism. I don't know enough about the history of purchasing for-profit curricula or text books and etc. to really grasp how much worse things are now and with CC. The ever consolidating and growing massive corporations in our world is a concern for me, of course. Maybe that's just too much to take in. :-)  

#472 of 482 Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 AM

I have been teaching for 18 years. This  is my first year dealing with common core. The idea that it is fewer/deeper has NOT been my experience at all. The common core materials I have been given to use has totally dumbed down a classic piece of Greek lit, only contains one speech from the play Caesar (I have always taught the entire play), and has so many pieces and worthless activities, there was no way for us to finish. We also had to supplement because so much was missing that we KNEW they needed. The activities are redundant, and even the students were tired of hearing certain words. Luckily, I teach on a 4x4 schedule, so this spring my peer teacher and I revised what we did last semester. We are trying to keep the good things, and make sure we do what we know they need. I often wonder about those teachers who don't make the changes (because it is so much work).

The standards themselves are not the problem (at least in high school ELA); although, IMO, they are vague and NOT as rigorous as what we were using before. If I have them written on the board, you would have no clue what we are really doing in class that day. It's the materials being provided that are supposed to guide us through the standards. My students have always been very successful on the state tests as well as later classes and even college. The majority of them also express a love for what we are doing in class. I know there are problems in education. But I compare common core to tearing down a whole house when only the kitchen needs to be remodeled. Most of common core was not even developed by anyone in a classroom. Some of the videos they want us to use are questionable. Some of the exemplar texts are questionable.

I know other teachers have different experiences, as do parents. This is just my experience as a 10th grade English teacher.

#473 of 482 Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

I have been teaching for 18 years. This  is my first year dealing with common core. The idea that it is fewer/deeper has NOT been my experience at all. The common core materials I have been given to use has totally dumbed down a classic piece of Greek lit, only contains one speech from the play Caesar (I have always taught the entire play), and has so many pieces and worthless activities, there was no way for us to finish. We also had to supplement because so much was missing that we KNEW they needed. The activities are redundant, and even the students were tired of hearing certain words. Luckily, I teach on a 4x4 schedule, so this spring my peer teacher and I revised what we did last semester. We are trying to keep the good things, and make sure we do what we know they need. I often wonder about those teachers who don't make the changes (because it is so much work).

The standards themselves are not the problem (at least in high school ELA); although, IMO, they are vague and NOT as rigorous as what we were using before. If I have them written on the board, you would have no clue what we are really doing in class that day. It's the materials being provided that are supposed to guide us through the standards. My students have always been very successful on the state tests as well as later classes and even college. The majority of them also express a love for what we are doing in class. I know there are problems in education. But I compare common core to tearing down a whole house when only the kitchen needs to be remodeled. Most of common core was not even developed by anyone in a classroom. Some of the videos they want us to use are questionable. Some of the exemplar texts are questionable.

I know other teachers have different experiences, as do parents. This is just my experience as a 10th grade English teacher.

:thumb  

That's a bummer to hear that your guidelines seem redundant and missing required content. Seems like the worst of both worlds. 

#474 of 482 Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I haven't read this whole thread, but saw this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/17/nyregion/new-york-early-champion-of-common-core-standards-joins-critics.html?hp&_r=0 and thought it might be of interest to those discussing the Common Core.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#475 of 482 Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM

I guess I'm late in finding this thread; I've read several pages of it because I watched a 1 hour presentation on CC last week but I didn't see anyone else who posted it. We homeschool but the presentation was pretty emphatic that it would affect all students. It's put out by Freedom Project & can be seen here on Vimeo

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#476 of 482 Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Thought this article might of interest:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/a-lesson-on-the-common-core/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hp&_r=0

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#477 of 482 Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 AM

I also thought this editorial was interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/01/opinion/preparing-teachers-for-the-common-core.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

#478 of 482 Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 AM

I'm reading through this today -- anyone want to join me?  Or help me figure out how to listen to old Diane Rehm podcasts?  http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-03-03/renewed-debate-over-common-core-standards-and-testing/transcript

#479 of 482 Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Figured it out...what a dork!  http://thedianerehmshow.org/topic/education

#480 of 482 Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the links. Please keep them coming.

The Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) put out a 40-minute documentary. It's free, a little under 40 minutes, and available on-demand via You Tube or http://www.commoncoremovie.com/

It's mostly "anti" but they made a reasonable effort to try to get some "pro" figureheads on there like David Coleman. They do interview pro-CC Michael Petrelli (sp?) from the Fordham Institute. The movie is definitely biased, but it's also thoughtful and not at all vitriolic. It's well worth a view after all of your LOs are tucked in. smile.gif

Now I need to check out ICMs podcast. There seems to be a bottomless pit of knowledge to dig into on this topic. I just checked out one of Ravitch's books and am eager to get reading!

Tags
Popular On Mothering In 2013 , Education Discussions , Education , School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page