Teacher issue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in communication with my child's school to ensure my child doesn't have a particular teacher next year, but have not received a clear answer yet. 

We've had experience with this particular teacher before, with another kid.  I don't feel comfortable having my child with this teacher.

Has anyone been in this situation before?  Did the school ever turn you down?  What did you do next?

#2 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

As a teacher Our school never turned down a parent unless the was absolutely no room but usually a vocal parent get what they need for their child. This is usually crunch time for schools and teachers actually have to sit down in several meetings  by grade and form classes for the next grade. It's a process and I am sure they will let you know as soon as classes are formed and your request in honored. Good luck to you and your child mama!

#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The policy here is that you can request that your child not be placed with a teacher that your family has had for an older child.  That's the only request that's actually honored.  I'm not sure that they acknowledge the requests, but they are honored and handled by the principal directly (the teachers won't know).  All requests for specific teachers, requests to not have a teacher an older child has not had, or anything else is tossed straight into the trash.

#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM

I have written a letter requesting to not have a specific teacher before.  I was very polite (did not say anything bad about the teacher) and listed with bulletpoints the reasons I didn't think she would be a good fit for my daughter.  I did not bring up any personality issues, it was strictly based on style of teaching and atmosphere in the classroom.  They honored my request, but I did not know for sure until assignments came out in August. They may not be able to give you a definitive answer until later in the summer. 

Not sure what type of communication you have had, but I would do a real letter, not email, if you haven't yet.

#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandkindness View Post

I have written a letter requesting to not have a specific teacher before.  I was very polite (did not say anything bad about the teacher) and listed with bulletpoints the reasons I didn't think she would be a good fit for my daughter.  I did not bring up any personality issues, it was strictly based on style of teaching and atmosphere in the classroom.  They honored my request, but I did not know for sure until assignments came out in August. They may not be able to give you a definitive answer until later in the summer. 

Not sure what type of communication you have had, but I would do a real letter, not email, if you haven't yet.

Hmm, I'd have a hard time phrasing it in a way that would avoid describing the ways I find this person problematic.

Why do you suggest doing a real letter as opposed to email?  I don't disagree just curious about the reason.

#6 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral123 View Post

Hmm, I'd have a hard time phrasing it in a way that would avoid describing the ways I find this person problematic.

Why do you suggest doing a real letter as opposed to email? I don't disagree just curious about the reason.

I think "real" letters tend to be given more weight, as more time/effort has gone into printing them and sending them. An email can be left in an in-box and forgotten, but a letter needs to be put in a file.  I do know our prinicipal has a file she keeps where she puts request letters, and when it is time for room assignments, she pulls out the file.

You can be very vague in the request, maybe just "our older child, (name), was experiencing a lot of struggles when he had Mrs. X for a teacher, and our younger child consequently associates that teacher with some of those struggles.  Therefore, we would truly appreciate an assignment to a different classroom, to make this coming school year as positive as possible for our child."

I really think they will honor your request, but don't expect them to let you know.  Good luck!

#7 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM

I'd definitely email/talk to the principal as well. You want him/her to be aware of this and not just leave it up to the teacher who may not have as much say in classroom placement.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page