Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
ollyoxenfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

His earlier talks were very popular, so I thought people might be interested in a recent presentation....

 

How to Escape Education's Death Valley. 

ollyoxenfree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
 
tracyamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,771
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I love Ted Talk. I will check it out when I put my son down for a nap. 

 

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

tracyamber is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
ollyoxenfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

 

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

 

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

 

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

ollyoxenfree is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
 
EarthRootsStarSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

While this may not be 'new' it still needs to be talked about because it's not being implemented.  He's right on.  Teaching should be about illustrating a huge background and asking provocative questions, not 'clerical work' as Ken Robinson puts it. 


bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
EarthRootsStarSoul is online now  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM
 
jeteaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Out there
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

jeteaa is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
 
tracyamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,771
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

 

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

 

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

Yes, It is something I know as a teacher ( and I think it is obvious right?)and not new but it was nice to see someone talk about it. I liked his sense of humor.  We want the best for our children(mine is 2 years old..lol) and it is really easy to doubt if you are doing the right things. I think the arts are as important as any area of education so right-on to you. My husband and I have started an"educational fund" for our son because we do not know exactly what it will look like but whatever he(my son) decides we want to be supportive.  blahblah.gif

tracyamber is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 PM
 
tracyamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,771
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

Yes, I agree to because educational institutions need a radical reform...I feel like we almost just need to start all over and think of why we want to educate children.

tracyamber is offline  
 

Tags
Learning Resources
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off