Recent Ken Robinson TED Talk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

His earlier talks were very popular, so I thought people might be interested in a recent presentation....

How to Escape Education's Death Valley. 

#2 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I love Ted Talk. I will check it out when I put my son down for a nap. 

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

#3 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

ETA: watched and boy is he right on..will we ever get it right? Education that is.

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

While this may not be 'new' it still needs to be talked about because it's not being implemented.  He's right on.  Teaching should be about illustrating a huge background and asking provocative questions, not 'clerical work' as Ken Robinson puts it. 

phathui5 likes this.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#5 of 7 Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

#6 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

What struck me when I first watched it is that he isn't really saying much new. It's stuff I've believed for a long time. But then I supported my dc when they both chose arts-focused high schools instead of STEM-focused programs.  I admit that he makes me feel better about their choices whenever I start to question if it was the right thing  redface.gif

I also noted that he doesn't completely dismiss or disparage the value of standardized testing. I admit that it surprised me a little. I wonder if he takes that position to maintain some credibility with the powers-that-be in American education who believe so devoutly in testing. 

Yes, It is something I know as a teacher ( and I think it is obvious right?)and not new but it was nice to see someone talk about it. I liked his sense of humor.  We want the best for our children(mine is 2 years old..lol) and it is really easy to doubt if you are doing the right things. I think the arts are as important as any area of education so right-on to you. My husband and I have started an"educational fund" for our son because we do not know exactly what it will look like but whatever he(my son) decides we want to be supportive.  blahblah.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteaa View Post

I love that education reform is talked about. What I find extremely frustrating is that I am raising kids RIGHT NOW. And I want whats best for my kids RIGHT NOW. At the rate reform is happening we will be lucky if our great grandchildren have quality, creative public education options for all. 

Yes, I agree to because educational institutions need a radical reform...I feel like we almost just need to start all over and think of why we want to educate children.

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page