Neen - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

My daughter Chloe was a reluctant reader and I started her at Leaders are Readers Saturday School.  She has made great progress, but I don't want it to slip away over the long hols. And left to her own devices, she's still not going to grab a book or maths worksheet of her own accord! Lol!

So I've decided to book her for Leaders are Readers Summer School.  I went along to a presentation just recently.  They will make sure she doesn't forget what she's learnt. And she's still got plenty of time to relax/play/have friends over.

The vision of me trying to encourage (worst still - force her) to read and revise maths leaves me cold!  It's money well spent in my book, and money I'd only be spending trying to keep her entertained.

What are others' views about slipping out of study habit during the holidays?

#2 of 3 Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Especially for kids who are behind in skill subjects like Math and Reading, I think extra help over the summer is an awesome idea. Some kids can jump back into school without a problem even though they did nothing academic over the summer. I was like that (though I did read tons of books over the summer and otherwise :)). My DS (8) is dyslexic, and it would be an absolute disaster if he took a break from tutoring over the summer. This summer he's doing 3 hours of reading tutoring and 1 hour of math tutoring a week, and it has been great. It all takes place in the morning, before most of his neighborhood friends are up and ready for the day. Among other things, in math he's learned multiplication tables, which he wouldn't have learned in school until next year. His school has many more differentiated levels in math and reading than the average school. He's always been in the low groups, but, this coming year, I think he'll be in the middle for reading and slightly above the middle for math. That wouldn't have happened if he'd taken a break this summer. 

I hope your daughter both learns a lot from and enjoys the camp. 

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#3 of 3 Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Is Neen the name of a curriculum or a camp? A little confused by the name of the thread, and getting distracted by that!

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page