School forms - vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I really like my DD's school and have mostly really good things to say about it.....

except for the Cuss.gif forms. I have 8 forms to fill out, and nothing has changed from last year. We live in the same house, have the same contact numbers, etc. It should all be in their computer. None the less, I have to fill out all these forms or else they will make me do it in the gym tomorrow, and that would be even worse.

I'm especially annoyed about the number of times and the number of ways I'm asked what language we speak. There is one form just for language (and I do understand the point of that one) but it comes up on all the other forms as well. I do understand that for some kids, the first language they spoke and the language they speak most often aren't the same, and that not all parents speak English. None the less, she was at the same school LAST YEAR. Should this carry over from year to year? Do they really enter all 1,500 returning students information every year from scratch?

(This vent was inspired by form #2, which is contact information for adults in the student's life. I have separate spots to mark that DH and I both speak English. On form #1, was basic student info, and it requested her first language, language most often spoke, and preferred language for correspondence. Form #3 is the actual language form)

Are other schools this crazy?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We get the forms. But if your child was a student last year it comes to you all filled out and you are responsible for making corrections, checking the box that says either all is correct or I made corrections, and signing it.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#3 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

We get the forms. But if your child was a student last year it comes to you all filled out and you are responsible for making corrections, checking the box that says either all is correct or I made corrections, and signing it.

This approach sounds like it makes so much more sense!!

The forms annoy me too, but luckily I'm pretty fast at filling them out.

#4 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I feel your pain. I'm bothered by the repetition. The Enrolment confirmation, Student and Family Information, Medical Form, Photography Consents (it's performing arts school, there's media/t.v./press there all the time), etc. etc. etc..... They all ask for exactly the same information.

A few years ago, I tried to be efficient (and I was feeling rebellious). I simply wrote "as per Form #_____" and "see above" or "see pg. 1" wherever I could.  They all came back to me. DD was very embarrassed because the Office Ladies were not impressed. DD begged me to just hold my nose and fill them all in. So I did. And I still do, endlessly and needlessly, every year. Sigh.  

#5 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

Oh, yes!! I'm not so much annoyed with schools about the forms because I feel like I get why improvements on paperwork is low on the totem pole but for everyone's sake I wish they could all convert to electronic forms and, yes, some system to not have to update unchanged information every year!  

I've got a transfer stack that I've been procrastinating on for the past 5 days or so...hum...  2whistle.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to go through this tomorrow when we (finally!) get to register DD for HS. Granted, this will be her first year in HS, but is staying in the same school district. I'm dreading it.....blech!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#7 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

I'm going to go through this tomorrow when we (finally!) get to register DD for HS. Granted, this will be her first year in HS, but is staying in the same school district. I'm dreading it.....blech!

Be  sure and check if they have the forms on line. I downloaded, printed, and filled them out at home, which really did make it better when we were at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
A few years ago, I tried to be efficient (and I was feeling rebellious). I simply wrote "as per Form #_____" and "see above" or "see pg. 1" wherever I could.  They all came back to me. DD was very embarrassed because the Office Ladies were not impressed. DD begged me to just hold my nose and fill them all in. So I did. And I still do, endlessly and needlessly, every year. Sigh.  

lol.gif  I love it. I try to behavior at my DD's school, just because I hate for her to be embarrassed by me. I have trouble standing in long lines - I get goofy,  bounce on my toes, etc. I think I have ADD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

That is so much more SANE!

It's all over now. It took 2 1/2 hours today at the school, but that is also taking school pictures, getting photo ids, getting PE uniform, getting home copies of text books (they don't have to carry books back and forth) etc. So now I can go back to liking my DDs school.

In the cafeteria, (where we had various stations to go through) they had a slide show with pictures from last year mixed in with slides showing awards kids from the school won last year, including scholarships, academic contest, sports, etc. Helped me remember that it is a really good school.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#8 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 PM

DS goes to a small public school (250 student population) and sometime in February, a form is sent out to ask if we are re-enrolling the following fall (it's a charter so they need to have numbers before the lottery) and that's it. Unless we are enrolling a sibling then we get all the new student forms.

Answering the same questions over and over again would drive me batty too. I can't imagine the amount of paperwork that the office will have to deal with.

#9 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
School forms drive me crazy! Luckily most of ours are the "check this over and make any corrections" type, but there are some duplicates from year to year.

The one that's been annoying me this year is soccer sign-up forms. My kids both played in the same league last year, and none of our information has changed, so why the hell do we have to attend a sign-up event (no try-outs, kids don't even need to be there, but parents must show up in person), show the same birth certificates we showed last year, and fill out the exact same forms that should already be on file somewhere!?! For baseball, the little league organization seems to have figured out on-line registration, so I don't see any reason for the soccer organization to be so, well, unorganized. Ugh!!

Anyway, yes, I feel your pain.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#10 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM

I so feel your pain, Linda! My son has been at the same school since he was 3 (he went to public preschool for speech therapy). He's now going into 3rd grade. None of our info has changed in that time. Yet we have to fill out the same forms every.single.year!!! And, yes, so much of the information is repetitious. Do they really need our address on four different forms? The same address we gave them 5 1/2 years ago?  I'm sort of glad to know all schools aren't like this, but I'm sort of not glad, because it was kind of nice to think that all parents of children in school were enduring the same form of torture :). It would be so awesome if they could put everything online and we just had to log on in August to look over everything and make the necessary changes.

School starts on the 14th of August, and we'll be on vacation that last full week before school starts. This means we'll miss "Open House" night at school, otherwise known as "see the classroom and fill out tons of paperwork night." The teachers at DS's school all visit their students before the school year starts, so I'm not the least bit sad to be missing that night. Sure, I'll still have to fill out all the paperwork, but at least I can fill it out in comfort of my own home.

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#11 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This is the most dreaded part of the school year for me! With four of my five kids in public school I get cramps in my hand after filling out 900 forms with the same damn information on every single one!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#12 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Heh, we started online registration last year, then they sent home the emergency contact card for us to fill out as well.  Didn't I type all that out last week??  Obviously they need a hard copy in case of a true emergency  and can't access computers, but still, so annoying.  Also, if I have three kids in the same building, can't I just fill out a family card?  Nope.  You would think by now the systems would be much better.  

#13 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM

Ahhh, my annual vent.  DD is going into 6th grade.  I'm going to make her fill them out this time.  I'll sign them.

My biggest beef is the emergency contact forms.  We have to fill one out for every single !@#$# room or environment she'll be in, including the bus.  I think I did 9 last year just for DD, 4 for DS.  When they changed her bus schedule, we had to do a new one.  It would simply be an annoying task if the forms didn't dribble in over the course of 3 weeks, all of which must be turned around immediately.  Every !@#$# time, I have to look up her doctor's info, put it down, look up the dentist info put it down, and on and on and on.  Seriously, if there's an emergency, they're going to send her to the hospital.  If it's not an emergency, they're going to call me/DH/back up contact person (though HA!, they never call dad, cuz, ya know, he's working...  or something... and here I am, answering the phone at my work number doing my nails... but that's another rant).  They can't call the doctor.  The doctor won't tell them ANYTHING anyways because of patient privacy issues. 

#14 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

.  If it's not an emergency, they're going to call me/DH/back up contact person (though HA!, they never call dad, cuz, ya know, he's working...  or something... and here I am, answering the phone at my work number doing my nails... but that's another rant). 

You know, you can't even rebel against this. A group of my IRL mom friends tried a little experiment one year. On the forms, "DAD" was listed as the #1 contact person and "Mom" as #2 or back-up. For the entire year, Mom was always the first person contacted by the school. Now, these were all intact families and there were no custody issues etc. and the school knew that, but most were 2-income families, moms were working and you would think that at least once, Dad would get the call.

#15 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM

We even had one incident where my DD was in the nurse's office, she told the nurse I was out of the country, and the nurse still called my office first. 

#16 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM

For whatever reason, in first grade my son's teacher always called my husband when DS got in trouble. I don't know why, since he works full time and I'm a stay at home mom. I think she liked him better or something.

Once, when I was out of town, I got a call from my son's school to tell me he was sick and needed to be picked up. I'd informed his teacher that I would be at a conference and his dad needed to be called. Apparently the office didn't get the message.

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#17 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 AM

We don't do much repeating on forms past the first year except for starting middle/high school. For my daughter's second year of high school we just went in, they found her name on the list and gave us her schedule and took our fee money(cash only, no debit card, of course, bleh). I may have filled out another emergency contact form? I don't remember it all but there was nothing like the foot high stack of forms  from their first years lol

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
School

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page