Let's make a Back To School supply list! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Not like the printed page we get to send our kids with on the first day, but a real list.  A great list for moms full of stuff that is good to use, great to have, holds up and the kids like.

This can be anything from backpacks to school supplies to shoes to anything!!

What are your favorite Back to School supplies?  Include links and why you love it and let's make this a really great list!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm always enthusiastic about LL Bean backpacks. They are fantastic quality. I still have mine from high school and it shows very little wear. DD had one all through elementary and only replaced it because it got too small. DS has had 2. The first one still perfect but too small. This second one will get him through the rest of middle school and high school easy. Not the best for those kids who like a new back every year for style but for those happy to now buy new bags yearly, you can't beat the quality and washability. DD has a Jansport that has held up ok. We are replacing it this year for wear but she's had it 3 years. Not bad.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506219?qs=3068958_pmd_google

My kids are in middle and high school so it's not really the same for us supply wise. I load up on spiral notebooks and notecards before school starts but that is typically all we need outside the occasional calculator upgrade. Just go for the Texas Instrument Calculators when your kid gets to the high maths. We got a deal on a graphing calculator that turned out not to have every function she needed to all her sciences and maths. Ended up geting a TI graphing calculator anyway.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 28 Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree on the LL Bean backpacks. Just bought the owl print for my dd, going into K, and she is thrilled. I expect the size to last her about 3-4 years. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62782?feat=506219-GN2&page=junior-original-book-pack-print

I try to do a waste free lunch for my kids and I've been really pleased with the lunch bots I bought a few years ago for my ds. I've used a pbk retro bag and I can fit an ice pack, 2 lunch bots and his 12 oz thermos funtainer in the top.

PBK retro - http://www.potterybarnkids.com/search/results.html?words=retro&cm_sp=OnsiteSearch-_-GlobalNav-_-Button&type-ahead-viewset=ecom

Lunchbots - http://www.lunchbots.com/products/food-containers/

Funtainer - http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-12-Ounce-Funtainer-Bottle-Blue/dp/B00DAPQV0K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1375455172&sr=8-9&keywords=thermos+funtainer

All products I would recommend. My dd will take a smaller lunch and I waited and stalked for a good price ($29) on a planet box w case for my dd. It looks great and I'm looking forward to trying it out. http://www.potterybarnkids.com/search/results.html?words=planet+box&cm_sp=OnsiteSearch-_-GlobalNav-_-Button&type-ahead-viewset=ecom

All of these have a higher upfront cost but I've asked for them for bday gifts or found them super on sale. And they are all workhorses!

#4 of 28 Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wine of the month club!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#5 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM

I have to third the recommendation for L.L. Bean backpacks. DS went through 3 cheap character backpacks in kindergarten. Before 1st grade we got him an L.L. Bean backpack and it still looks great 2 years later. We'll probably get him a new backpack when he starts middle school, but it won't be because this one has worn out.

If your kids don't like the styles L.L. Bean has, I also recommend Land's End. DS has one for travel, and it has also help up well. DD starts preschool once a week this year, and I actually can't decide which of the two brands to get her :).

If you want an easy, waste free lunch I recommend the Goodbyn containers: www.goodbyn.com. Their binto box is great is your kids bring only things that don't need to be kept hot or cold. They also sell insulated bags, ice packs, and containers to put in the bags.

cynthia mosher likes this.

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#6 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My list is different because DS goes to a free school and is older.

As many books on liberation ideals as we an get our hands on, In a perfect world they would include a ton of Howard Zinn, Eric Hobsbawm, Etc. to donate to the school.

Notebooks, pens, paper, all that usual stuff but also:

Stocking up on shelf stable foods for the weekly 'lets make lunch together' at school.

Shoes. I have no idea where these go, but somehow they disappear.

cynthia mosher and youngmom89 like this.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#7 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM

A supreme website for all things reusable and toxin-conscious, check out http://mightynest.com/

Looks like you can even donate %15 of your purchase to your school!
#8 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 AM

The lists the middle school teachers sent home just killed me.  The teachers were trying to be very helpful, and teach the kids how to organize their paperwork. So the math, history and English teachers each have separate notebook/binder requirements, which you then need to figure out how to work with the big zip-up binders ( that range from $10 to $25).

Perhaps this was more a problem between dd and me eyesroll.gif, but then there were the arguments about whether to get the plain folders that cost $4 for a bunch of them versus the pretty ones with designs that cost, like, $1.50 each. The worst was the insisting that the cute brand-name pack of multicolored highlighters was necessary versus the much more practical 3-pack of yellow highlighters.  Argh.  Saying 'no' to dd was my own particular issue.  blush.gif

Anyway, ds is entering high school and dd and I were telling him how this supplies thing is sooo much less stressful because the teachers don't care one bit how you organize your binders.  You can use one big zip-up binder and a 5-subject spiral note book if you want, or multiple binders, etc  -whatever works best for you. 

It helps that ds isn't the least bit interested in coordinating colors. We did decide you need to pay the extra dollar for brand name glue sticks.  The off brands are worthless. 

Don't forget the combination lock.

#9 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Anyone come across any great college shoulder bags? My daughter is starting this year and is not keen on a backpack. I'd like to get her something nice but really functional too. She'll carry her Macbook in it as well so must have a laptop area. 

#10 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Both of these are great, http://www.chromeindustries.com/ I've never seen one of these get destroyed.

This person takes customer orders and is a more classic style then the above ones https://www.etsy.com/shop/CrookedSmileCreation

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#11 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I love colored pencils with erasers for preschool and elementary school age children. In case you can't find it at your local store here is a link:

http://www.shopping.com/Binney-Amp-Smith-Color-Pencils-W-Eraser-10-Box-Bright-Colors/info

(I don't know if they are on any school lists but we use them at home)

Also we can't seem to have enough composition books. My older son and daughter went to school last year and they each had at least one "homework book" for the whole year (I don't remember doing that when I was in their grades so that was new to me) - the teacher wrote down my kindergartener's homework, and my second grader wrote down her homework, and when they completed the work at home I signed it and sent it back for the teacher. (One less book we'll need for homeschool, woo hoo!)

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#12 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

What are your favorite Back to School supplies?  Include links and why you love it and let's make this a really great list!

DC's elementary school did a supply coop so all we had to do was give some money and then were done. I loved that!  She's entering middle school next year so has a more traditional list. Plus uniforms. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the shopping and "stuff".  

For lunch my favorite find was these little plastic containers. I think they were called "snack size" and they're small, deep rectangle boxes that hold a sandwich cut in half or a perfect serving size of fruit or salty snack. I think they may be discontinued...  irked.gif orngtongue.gif

DC has had her middle school backpack picked out for like two years. It's all spikey and adorable AND her aunt bought it for her at our favorite and local toy store. 

As for uniforms and other supplies... 

I'm doing some from Old Navy and a lot of the supplies came from the dollar store or Target. I'm conflicted about buying so much new stuff from crappy stores but I'm also a bit disillusioned by some of our "buy local" options in our city because the locally owned store rarely buys local themselves. Sigh... My alternative is usually to buy second hand but that's not possible for things like a glue stick. ;-)  And, my DC is rebelling a little against second hand clothes. I want to be respectful about her values for that. Also, she has some mild sensory things (I guess you'd call it?) and really needs clothing to fit well. Having 7 pairs of the same.exact outfits that fit and are comfortable will go a long way to help move the morning along. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Anyone come across any great college shoulder bags? My daughter is starting this year and is not keen on a backpack. I'd like to get her something nice but really functional too. She'll carry her Macbook in it as well so must have a laptop area. 

I second the recommendation for the LL Bean bags, Cynthia. They have a lot of nice designs. Then, of course, there are all sorts of higher-end bags for college students. Though, it may be that she ends up just using a big purse or tote. In that case, you could have all kinds of fun looking for a bag. ;-) 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 AM

Wow I wish we could afford 7 pairs of the exact same outfit! Our school does Dennis uniforms and they are pricey, especially for more than one child.

#14 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Wow I wish we could afford 7 pairs of the exact same outfit! Our school does Dennis uniforms and they are pricey, especially for more than one child.

I imagine that our district is responding to financial issues when deciding on uniforms. They do general guidelines like "Blue polo/khaki bottoms" so a thrifty family can outfit a kid for over two weeks for about a hundred dollars with all NEW clothes.  Second hand, a family could find a week's worth of uniforms for $20, and I am also sure that schools offer assistance to families who need help. Our elementary did a uniform swap, which was wonderful!   

ETA: Plus, I can't imagine that budget/ethics issues would allow a public school district to contract with a specific uniform supply shop. At least I would hope. ;-)  

#15 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I imagine that our district is responding to financial issues when deciding on uniforms. They do general guidelines like "Blue polo/khaki bottoms" so a thrifty family can outfit a kid for over two weeks for about a hundred dollars with all NEW clothes.  Second hand, a family could find a week's worth of uniforms for $20, and I am also sure that schools offer assistance to families who need help. Our elementary did a uniform swap, which was wonderful!   

ETA: Plus, I can't imagine that budget/ethics issues would allow a public school district to contract with a specific uniform supply shop. At least I would hope. ;-)  

That sounds nice. Mine went (and might go) to a private school though, so it's a bit different.

In addition to the homework books (composition books), last year my then-kindergartener and second grader needed photo boxes. My daughter told me that they used them for crayons, colored pencils, and scissors.

#16 of 28 Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

We did decide you need to pay the extra dollar for brand name glue sticks.  The off brands are worthless. 

They really are - why is that??? We have several off bran ones and they just don't work.  Which have you found to be the best? Even the Elmer's we have are slightly unreliable.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 28 Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Elmer's is the best we've found so far, though I admit we haven't done a lot of searching for alternatives. lol.gif  Mostly it's good enough.  I think it might be the limitations of glue sticks, generally.  But I do like the ones that go on purple...

What did we do before glue sticks?  We used glue, which was ridiculously messy, but once it dried it worked.  Aaannnd you can rub a dollop all over your palms and have fun peeling it off. (Tell me I'm not the only one who did that??)

jodieanneanton likes this.

#18 of 28 Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:

Elmer's is the best we've found so far, though I admit we haven't done a lot of searching for alternatives. lol.gif  Mostly it's good enough.  I think it might be the limitations of glue sticks, generally.  But I do like the ones that go on purple...

What did we do before glue sticks?  We used glue, which was ridiculously messy, but once it dried it worked.  Aaannnd you can rub a dollop all over your palms and have fun peeling it off. (Tell me I'm not the only one who did that??)

Totally not the only one. lol.gif  

I like the purple ones...though they seem to have a shorter shelf life than the regular elmer's ones.  I had a "scrapbooking" one that was awesome, but can't remember the brand.

Okay, any recommendations for lunch containers? Not bags, but thermos type things?

#19 of 28 Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Well, there are these, and they're ridiculously cute and clever. Scroll through the hundred or so pictures of lunch ideas. 

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

I'm pretty sure I learned about these from someone here at MDC

#20 of 28 Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Totally not the only one. lol.gif  

I like the purple ones...though they seem to have a shorter shelf life than the regular elmer's ones.  I had a "scrapbooking" one that was awesome, but can't remember the brand.

Okay, any recommendations for lunch containers? Not bags, but thermos type things?

Rubber cement was my favorite! You could make rubber balls out of it.

Quote:

Well, there are these, and they're ridiculously cute and clever. Scroll through the hundred or so pictures of lunch ideas. 

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

I'm pretty sure I learned about these from someone here at MDC

I love those Laptop Lunches! Mine work great!

#21 of 28 Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For younger children, I liked to keep a brightly coloured vinyl envelope in the backpack for notes, permission slips, lunch orders....anything that needed to be sent to school or from school to home. Fewer papers got forgotten or lost in the bottom of the backpack. The bright colour was a good visual reminder. Paperwork was safer in the vinyl, protected from lunchbox leaks or rain or other potential injury.

This is the sort of envelope I used, but you only need 1 per child, not a pack of 15.  

Possibly most of this paperwork is handled on-line these days, but if you anticipate communication flowing back and forth to school, this adds a little  organization and security. 

#22 of 28 Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

My kids used those (inconsistently). Frankly, I think they're useful for the rest of their school career. But but both of them dropped the cute ones when they got to middles school. Oh, come on guys! This works for you! Don't give it up! eyesroll.gif

#23 of 28 Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Good tip, OOF.  I'll hold out to see if the kids get a folder given to them to bring back and forth to school (mind did in elementary) but if not I'll get one of those for sure. 

#24 of 28 Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Good tip, OOF.  I'll hold out to see if the kids get a folder given to them to bring back and forth to school (mind did in elementary) but if not I'll get one of those for sure. 

My kids had these with their elementary school stuff.  However, they'd use paper folders, which hold up for about 15 minutes in my kids' backpacks.  5 minutes if it rains.  I replace them with plastic.  Each $0.50 plastic folder (Target on sale) lasts 2 years.

My kids walk everyday.  They keep a small umbrella tucked in the outside pocket.

We also have a M-F dry erase board by the door with different dry erase colors for each kid, including reminders and after school activities, and who will be giving rides (sitter, parent, carpool).

journeymom likes this.
#25 of 28 Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM

M-F dry erase board...  M*ther F*cking dry erase board??

#26 of 28 Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM

JM REALLY recommends a dry erase board... 

Quote:

M-F dry erase board...  M*ther F*cking dry erase board??

ROTFLMAO.gif

#27 of 28 Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Perhaps this was more a problem between dd and me eyesroll.gif, but then there were the arguments about whether to get the plain folders that cost $4 for a bunch of them versus the pretty ones with designs that cost, like, $1.50 each. 

I usually did a combination. Maybe two of the pretty/expensive ones, and the rest the plain/cheap ones. Best of both worlds. IMO. 

#28 of 28 Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjunio View Post

A supreme website for all things reusable and toxin-conscious, check out http://mightynest.com/

Looks like you can even donate %15 of your purchase to your school!

Enthusiastic thumbs up for this company. They are local and the family that owns it is lovely. Great stuff, great service. We use several of their lunch items, like the fabric snack bags and stainless steel containers.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
School , Goodbyn , Thermos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page