Mothering's Annual Back-To-School Giveaway! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In homeschooling my two little guys I like to remember to go with the flow of the day and to try not to force learning moments.
cynthia mosher likes this.
#32 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Our DD just starting Kindergarten next week.  I've been clipping coupons, watching sale circulars and making a list of nutritious lunch items so I can go grocery shopping and be stocked up on lunch items in order to save time and money.  We're homeschooling so I also plan on grilling extra chicken and homemade turkey patties to freeze so we have a quick go to protein that I just have to thaw out in the morning and lunch will be practically ready.

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#33 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM

This will be my first year homeschooling (preschool), so we have been focused on getting organized.  We've designed and put together DS's schoolroom, bought school supplies, and now we're starting to organize curriculum through what we've found on Pinterest and other sites.  DS has been involved in the whole process!

#34 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Shared on Facebook!

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#35 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Pinterest has been a lovely resource for us as we get ready to return to school next week. We have pinned quick and healthy breakfast and lunch ideas, morning routine check lists and endless tricks and tips to make the school year as stress-free as possible! :)

Erika ~ http://inspiredmamamusings.blogspot.com/

Boise Barefoot Books - http://erika-knipe.barefootbooks.com/ find us on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/BoiseBarefootBooks  reading.gif

#36 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

i shared the giveaway on facebook! :)

Erika ~ http://inspiredmamamusings.blogspot.com/

Boise Barefoot Books - http://erika-knipe.barefootbooks.com/ find us on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/BoiseBarefootBooks  reading.gif

#37 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM

We haven't started homeschooling yet but I am apart of several groups on FB so that i can connect and ask questions
#38 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Shared on Facebook (angeliina) and twitter (@modernartannounc)
#39 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Over the weekend, (right after laundry is done if possible), my daughter picks out 6 or 7 outfits to last her the week. Picking  6 or 7 means that every school day there will be 2 or 3 outfits to pick from, which is very important to her. Make sure you have extra time for getting out the door-putting on jackets, shoes etc, and even more time once the cold weather/snow hits! I do as much as possible for lunch the night before and also will make breakfasts such as steel cut oats or cream of wheat, so all that needs to be done is heat and eat in the morning. :)

#40 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM

To get us back in the swing of things I usually start a month in advance. Every week I add something to the routine. The first week we started our bed time routine earlier, the second week we added our morning routine, the third week we started working on less screen time and by week four we just keep practicing so that by the time we start school everything is nice and solid.
#41 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM

I posted on Facebook,  Twitter and pinterest

#42 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Best morning routine tip that worked for us was to write out the order of events in the morning, as a checklist the kids can follow, and have them check the things off as they go. It definitely increased the peace.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#43 of 98 Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 PM

We homeschool.  My favorite way to start the new year is to have some sort of "not back to school" family celebration on the first day of public school.  In the past, we've hosted homeschool NBTS carnivals in our yard for other local HSers, gone to the zoo, attended NBTS pajama parties in the park, baked celebration cakes and gone on day trips.  It's a fun way to get excited about the new year and counter the back-to-school frenzy that young kids are exposed to this time of year.

#44 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We homeschool/unschool and this year is a 'gap year' for DS.  the ultimate in unschooling  i guess.  He is advanced and collecting high school credits already.  During the gap year we will have lots of field trips. time for DS to focus on his art, legos and whatever catches his attention. oh and lots and lots of reading.

Something that helps keeps the library materials organized (we have 3 different library systems here) is a different colored rolling crate for each library.  When things are done and ready to go back, into the correct crate it goes, when we go to the library just roll the crate to the car and everything is there.  I also have email alerts from the library with due dates, pick up notices and other important items.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#45 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

posted on meetup group

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#46 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM

We are homeschooling preschool this year. I do not have a lot planned except some fieldtrips and playdates. I am interested in printable worksheets.
#47 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 AM

#48 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 AM

Love givaways--thanks so much for the opprotunity to recieve great stuff :)

#49 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 AM

My daughter starts preschool this year and my son is doing a weird split school thing.  It's a bit stressful for me so I'm trying to keep our outside activities to a minimum until we all get used to this.

#50 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 AM

We like to start homeschooling gradually, adding more subjects/work as the first week unwinds.
#51 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM

To get the kids out the door and on the bus in the morning, we have a "get ready before you come downstairs" rule.  (No going back upstairs to change or coming down in your PJ's for breakfast).  We have extra toothbrushes in the downstairs bathroom so we can brush teeth, and go!

#52 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 PM

Posted on FB, too! :)

#53 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM

My son is starting cyber school (kindergarten). I want to unschool, but he needs to get special services from the school district, so this is my compromise. Our preparation for the beginning of school is to stretch summer as long as possible. I'm planning beach trips for the weekends and planting a fall garden.
#54 of 98 Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 PM

#55 of 98 Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Hello, one of the best things we did to help for school was to get my mom, who sews, to help make a number of sack lunch bags.  We used cotton fabric from the quilt store and made the bags reversible.  The pattern is very simple- it is 4 rectangles for inside and 4 for outside- maybe 4x12".  lay out the rectangles like a "pinwheel" and stitch the short side to long on each of the sections of the "pinwheel" so they are all connected a long to a short to create the base of the bag.   Then, stitch the sides (may need to fold sides up at right angle to make them meet, pin, and stitch).   Will need to leave a small hole to hand stitch at center of base to reverse, if you make it reversible, and it can be finished with a cute button.   For the closure, it has 4-8 stitched at the top opening of the bag when stitching the inside to the outside.  A heavy string or soft rope is laced through to make a drawstring.   

The reason we love these bags is because we can through them in the wash.  I hated the insulated, expensive stuff from box stores that would get moldy or discolored making it impossible to wash.  We have used fabrics that the kids like ( color, print, etc)  and they can carry bentos, a range of containers, or baggies with goodies in them.  I make sack lunches everyday.  They all include main dish (sandwich, noodle dish, rice dish, or soup), something savory, something sweet, fruit, veg, and drink.  

#56 of 98 Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM

My two are kindergarten and age 3, we love to prep lunches together when we go places using reusable snack pouches, napkins and cloth bags. We love to take care of the earth and have begun teaching that before we even start school.
#57 of 98 Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Shared with friends on FB
#58 of 98 Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 AM

I try to prepare as much as possible the night before.  It helps our mornings go smoothly!

#59 of 98 Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 AM

Just tweeted about the giveaway & how much I love mothering mag!

#60 of 98 Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM

I shared the giveaway on my facebook page :)

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page