How far do you live from your child's school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our child will be starting school for the first time.

It got me wondering what people's distances are from their house to their school?

How long does it take you to get from your house to your child's school?

#2 of 47 Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I just sent off the acceptance form for my daughter's school (she starts in January). It is a 45 minute drive. Our second choice is a 5 minute drive :-(

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 47 Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

crap.gif 15 miles away. sometimes dd has to take public transportation. 2 hours. otherwise about a half hour drive. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 47 Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
17 miles away. Luckily, we're rural and most of my travel is on a highway so about 30minutes.
#5 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 AM

DS spends most of the school week at his dad's since his apartment is in a better school district. They live a couple of miles away and DS takes the bus. On the days that I have him it's about a 20 min drive to school from my apartment. 

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

High school for DD. It's about 3 1/2 miles away. It takes her about 30 minutes by public transit. She walks to the bus stop (less than 5 minutes) and then has 2 buses. The waiting time for the transfer between buses can take awhile. Lucky girl has had a lift to school all this week though. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to drive, depending on how well traffic is moving. There are several schools (a couple of high schools, a middle school and an elementary school) along the same stretch of road and there can be a long traffic jam at start and dismissal times. 

She walked to middle school, about 1 1/2 miles away. Before that, we lived about 2 miles from middle school but it was very hilly. It took almost an hour to walk to school. 

Her older brother attended a middle school that was 6 miles from where we lived at the time. I could drive there in about 15 or 20 minutes but the school bus route took about an hour. He was the first kid picked up in the morning and the last one dropped off in the afternoon.  

For one wonderful year, we lived around the corner from the primary school. That was awesome. 

#7 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Almost 2 miles away. It usually takes me 5-10 minutes to drive it. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

2.1 miles. A 25 minute walk on the way there, a 35-40 minute walk on the way home (it's an unrelenting hill). Sometimes they bike there (about 6-7 minutes) and get a ride home, and dh picks up their bikes in his truck on his way home from work. I don't make them ride home because with book bags and the steepness of the grade it's a wicked climb requiring more strength and stamina than I feel it is kind to inflict after a long day that already includes substantial outdoor fitness activities at school.

Once there's snow I drive them both ways because the shoulders on the road disappear under snowbanks and it's unsafe to walk on the road. Four or five minutes in the van.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#9 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

4 miles away. Takes me 35 minutes to get there and back in my car due to the traffic on campus. No walking or biking allowed.

Ashlee - wifey to Josh , mama to Gavin 9/2007 , and expecting a baby GIRL 7/20/10.
#10 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Our assigned school is 1 mile away, but the school my kids go to is 3 miles away. It takes less than 10 minutes to drive there.

3 miles sounds short, but if DD had gotten late bird kindergarten, with drop-off/pick-up times that didn't align with DS's at all, I would have had to drive there 4 times a day, for a total of 24 miles per day! Luckily she got early bird, so I can at least drop them off together and only drive 18 miles per day for school. I can't believe some of you drive that far one way every day!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#11 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

my child's school is 7 to 8 minutes drive from our house

#12 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 06:45 AM

Three blocks. It's fairly glorious.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#13 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
5.5mi

10 mins one way

The neighborhood school is only 2mi away but we are too close for the bus. If I drove him there it would take ages bc of heavy traffic. We go to a charter school with a very small population and dismissal goes like the wind.

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBroken View Post

No walking or biking allowed.

I'm curious how a school can mandate how your kids spend their before and after school time? Obviously I don't know the particular circumstances of your neighbourhood, and 4 miles seems too long to be practical for walking in your case, but what is the logic behind banning self-powered transportation? Seems very odd to me. Is there public transit? What would a nearby car-free family do? Hire a taxi? 

Miranda

#15 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My dd2's elementary school is about 5-10min away, depending on the line for drop-off in the kiss-n-go lane. It's about 2.5 miles. We walk it occasionally on delayed opening days.

My dd1's middle/high school is about 20 min away and 15 miles from dd2's elementary school. It's a little further from our house, but I always take dd2 to school first (earlier start time) and then just go up to dd1's school.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#16 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 AM

We are half a mile from the elementary school and about a mile and a half from the high school.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#17 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM

We were 2 blocks from preschool and now 2.4 miles from ds's new school.  

#18 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 03:02 PM

I drive DS1 about 8 miles to school. It's not bad, less than 1/2 hour. But what kills me is our neighborhood school (which I went to) is literally 3 blocks away in a residential neighborhood where it would be safe to walk. I would LOVE to walk my child to school everyday instead of driving...but I think the school he's in is a better fit for him.

#19 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

My DC's last school was a really short drive - 7 minutes including parking and walking to avoid carpool traffic. Her new middle school is 5.5 miles away but so far it takes a while to get there. I budget a half hour. Sometimes I'm super early, once I was late. It's in a direction in our city that has pretty bad traffic due to poor planning way back. We do carpool though so I bring 3 kids home in the afternoons and DC gets a ride to school every morning. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#20 of 47 Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM

8 blocks.  We walk it.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#21 of 47 Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Half hour drive, with killer car line in the afternoons. Not fun, but the best choice for us right now.

#22 of 47 Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM

A 5-minute ride away :)!

#23 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM

Now? 1 1/2 and 5+ hours. But they're in college. 

Elementary, we could easily walk to the school, but they both enjoyed riding the bus. (This would no longer be an option, as we live w/in a mile.) Middle school, about three miles, and both took the bus. Although the drive would have taken maybe 10 minutes. HS... Oldest went to the HS about 2 miles away. Rode the bus, but occasionally walked. Youngest's HS was 45 minutes door to door, but she took the bus most days, which was 1 1/2 hours. Once she got her license, she drove to the central stop most days and took the bus the rest of the way, which was about 30 minutes. 

#24 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post

Now? 1 1/2 and 5+ hours. But they're in college. 

LOL, then I'll give an answer for my eldest, also in college: 30+ hours to drive. Or 4 hours to the airport and 11 hours in transit through airports and flight connections. ;)

Miranda

#25 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM

In total? Drop off then home, pick up then home - 92+ miles per day. dizzy.gif 22+ miles to DD's HS (about 30 minute drive), then another 6 miles to DS's ES (10 minutes), then another 18+ miles back home (25 minutes. In the afternoon, lather, rinse repeat, unless a DC has an afternoon activity/club at school, then pick up/waiting time gets interesting.

But both kids are thriving at their schools, so there's that.

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#26 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

In total? Drop off then home, pick up then home - 92+ miles per day. dizzy.gif 22+ miles to DD's HS (about 30 minute drive), then another 6 miles to DS's ES (10 minutes), then another 18+ miles back home (25 minutes. In the afternoon, lather, rinse repeat, unless a DC has an afternoon activity/club at school, then pick up/waiting time gets interesting.

OMG! faint.gif

I suppose that puts in perspective the 68mi/day that I drive.

#27 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My DS's elementary school is about 3-4 miles (a ten minute drive.) DD's charter school is 10 miles away (about a 25 minute drive.) The trip to DD's school makes me crazy, but it's so worth it.
#28 of 47 Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

5 blocks.  I walk him there in the morning, then walk from there to my bus to work.  His dad used to walk over to meet him every afternoon, but he is now able to walk home by himself except on Fridays, when dad meets him at school and they go with some friends to the nearby park.  We only drive to/from school if there is some kind of gigantic project to be transported.

From age 2 to 5 he went to a preschool near my office, 3 miles from home.  We rode public transit together, two buses each way, about 90 minutes total commuting time every day.  In many ways it was wonderful time for us to spend together, but it was a big strain, too, especially the days when we got home really late and my partner had given no thought to dinner!!  But parking costs in the neighborhood where I work are so ridiculous that it just didn't make sense to drive.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#29 of 47 Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

Earlier I posted about our elementary (half a mile) and high school (1.5 miles)  but I also have a special needs middle schooler who is in private school, round trip it's 103 miles a day for him. I just didn't mention it because it seems extreme but like oaksie68 it's worth the drive because he is doing awesome.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#30 of 47 Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are a little less than a mile. There is a bus (I think because there's a busy highway to cross) but my kids sometimes miss it and I walk them to school.

At our last school, 3 blocks. It was so amazingly convenient. I definitely take it into consideration when I'm looking for a place to live.

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page