Sending my baby to Kindergarten - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my oldest has been attending kindergarten for the past few weeks and he is doing really well. He is excited to go to school and comes home exhausted, but generally happy. I, however, am a mess. After being a part of nearly every aspect of his life for the past 5+ years, I suddenly feel like I am completely shut out. His school has a very strict policy of not allowing parents to walk their children in to the classrooms, which is for safety reasons, but I find completely unreasonable. Parent volunteers are allowed, but you are not allowed to bring younger siblings in to volunteer so that is pretty much impossible for me to do. I talked with DH about homeschool, but my kiddo is so happy it seems unreasonable to pull him out or switch schools just because I am feeling shut out. Did anyone else go through this feeling of loss when their littles started school? How did you cope?

#2 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS' kindergarten year I felt somewhat similar. He'd come home tired and not wanting to talk about school so I had no idea what he'd done all day! I found that making connections with his teacher and the other families in class helped me a lot. Even though I couldn't volunteer either on account of my DD (they've since relaxed their rules a bit on volunteering with siblings), I could ask the other parents who volunteer. Also, if I did have anything in mind, I found it easy to talk to his teacher
#3 of 3 Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ds just started preschool and it is only half days and however many days I want. so it is a nice change. At his school kindergarden is full time and I think there should be a 1/2 day option.  I am going to do everything I can if I still feel like I do about it now then, to have them let me send him only 1/2 day 5days a wk. I totally get what you are saying and I think all kindergarten should offer the option of 1/2 day for those who want it/

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page