Possible ADHD/ADD - now what? Looking for support against medicating, and how to help in school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi and I really hope to be able to find some answers.

DS started grade 4 immersion.  We had him tested over a year ago by a psychologyst who happens to also run an ADHD clinic in our town.  She said she could not comment on his test scores 'officially' because it would be a conflict of interest but she said she felt that he was NOT a candidate for ADHD/ADD.  She noted certain personality traits such as my son constantly looking for praise on his work "how did I do?  Did I do okay on that" , that sort of thing.  There were several other factors but I don't want to dive into too many other details just yet.  Fast forward to a week ago when we FINALLY go in to see her colleague and this woman spent one hour talking to him and stated ' he does show traits very similar to ADD/ADHD'.  By that she meant that he does have a hard time being pulled out of his thought pattern.  Which is true; he does become fixated on something and it is very very difficult to stear him away from it.  He is slightly OCD'ish with things as well where, if say he was assembling something and we quickly had to just drop everything and go, he refuses to leave it.  He MUST complete it, or straighten something, or put something back.  Anyways we are not medicating as per her suggestion.  She thought he might benefit from it although she did caution that because he is already fixated on things, that that could become worse with the meds.  Anyways we decided years ago that we do not want to take that route for our personal reasons.  What I am looking for is thoughts and ideas on how to help him in school?  We have a meeting with this years teacher, next week.  And like all the other meetings, I'm sure she's going to ask us what can she do?  We already have the wheels in motion for everything else like the extra help to come in to the room, but we also know that our son is a handful just to get him to sit still longer than 5 minutes.

Thanks

Mama to one very active DS (5.5) Loving wife to my wonderful DH and our baby girl arrived on December 10, 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Both of the clinicians seem to be focusing on rather peculiar symptoms. If you look at the diagnostic criteria, these items are not mentioned. 

https://www.msu.edu/course/cep/888/ADHD%20files/DSM-IV.htm

Also, it is rather uncommon to make a diagnosis after spending one hour with a child. A typical diagnostic process will collect info from the parent, the teacher,and interview/observe the child. 

Anyway, you may want to explore some sensory based strategies for him. Consult a good occupational therapist or do some research yourself. Good books to look at are How Does Your Engine Run, and The Out of Synch Child. 

If there is a diagnosis, and his symptoms are causing impairment in the school setting,  he may be eligible for special education, or a 504 plan with accommodations, such as the ability to move around during class, a yoga ball to sit on, stretchy bands on his desk, etc. 

You may also want to check out our Special Needs forum under Parenting, here at Mothering. 

Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Has he had a complete neuro psych evaluation? It sounds like there are serious, on going issues that effect his ability to be successful. Figuring out what the issues are and then addressing them specifically makes sense to me.

Without that, you are looking at all purpose solutions, such as a behavior plan. Very specific set up for him of what it means to be successful in each segment of his day tied to rewards that are meaningful to him for a certain % of his behavior being acceptable. Some kids earn things like extra time with art supplies, getting to be a helper in a class for younger students, etc. It needs to be something that really excites and motivates him -- not just some stickers.

But the first question is -- is he capable of the desired behavior?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

We have tried the reward system at home and it works well.

Problem at school is that this is a new school and the kids there have taken to bullying him because he is being treated different.

I have been in touch with the pschycologyst and am awaiting her response.  I would like to get some reference to other areas that we can direct him to, to see about additional aids.

Mama to one very active DS (5.5) Loving wife to my wonderful DH and our baby girl arrived on December 10, 2009
Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Mama_2_Boy - How are things going? Did you hear from the Psychologist?

My DS is having some behavioral problems at school now, and I wondered how did you get a referral to the Psychologist? Through the school or doctor?

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).

Tags
School , Learning Resources
User Tag List