Starting full day kindergarten without ever having been to school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made the difficult decision today to pull my 3 1/2 yr old son from preschool. We was only going two afternoons a week to a play based school. Most days he was happy once he got to school 2 min after I left, but getting him in the door was near impossible. I had to carry him kicking and screaming and I also have a baby to carry. But the last time I left him they said he cried for a long time after I left. I was going to give it one more try today but again I couldn't get him in the building. Since I pulled him he most likely won't have a place there next year. I can't afford any of the other preschools in my area which means he'll be starting full day Kindergarten at 5 without ever having been in school or separated from his family. I fear is won't go well at all. Has anyone had a similar experience?
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter had never been to daycare or preschool and did fine in all-day kindergarten.  I think all day kindy is actually easier because there is more time for specials, snacks, recess, etc.  Academically, she was pretty far ahead but the novelty of being with kids all day, routine, art, music, recess, etc kept her engaged. 

grumpybear likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Kindy teachers expect a lot of kids to have not been in preschool.  I mean, it's kindergarten, if it's not built to be the first school experience for at least some of the kids, they did it wrong.

grumpybear likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM

My son was like NiteNicole's daughter- never been to daycare, preschool nor had he been babysat prior to kindergarten. He was essentially never away from me or DH before the 1st day of kindergarten. He was more than fine. Just recently I was chatting with DS' kindergarten teacher (DS is in 2nd grade now) and she was telling me how kindergarteners are essentially preschoolers. I was glad she saw it that way. Like meepycat says, if it's not designed to be their first experience of school, it's flawed
#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 05:02 PM

I was a bit concerned about this as my 4yr old was on the younger side starting jk and had only ever been in daycare part time (then I changed my schedule to straight nights so that my boys didn't have daycare at all. I shouldn't have worried, he has loved it. it was harder for me to recognize that my baby was going to be in school full day when his older brother had the 1/2 day (2.5hrs) option.

I did do two half day camps before school started for both to get them used to the routine idea. with a great sigh of relief, am glad to say it went well.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Your son has 1 1/2 years to mature and become independent before going off full day.  It's amazing how that time really changes kids.  At 3 1/2, I don't know how my ds1 would've done at daycare, not well probably, he's always been very clingy and super attached to me...by the time he was 4ish, I was able to leave him in a drop-in daycare for a few hours to get work done or work out.  We homeschool now, but I have no problem leaving him at the drop in daycare - sometimes he'll tell me he doesn't want to go, but I explain to him that is something that needs to happen (dh and I have date night, etc), and he doesn't struggle.  Also, he loves going to art camps or workshops and these are anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, and he has no problem doing that for over a year now (he just turned 6)  staying there, following directions, etc.  I'm sure he'd be ok with school...not necessarily that he'd love it, but he'd be ok without crying etc.  

Tags
School

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page