Schools in Saskatchewan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are relocating to Saskatchewan later this year; we currently homeschool, but are looking at various options before making any decisions as to whether we continue homeschooling or let the kids go to school.

I would love to hear about schools in SK, specially schools in smaller farming communities as that is where we plan to settle.

TIA

#2 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hi Annie and Welcome!!!

I would encourage you to cross post this in the "Connecting With Other Moms" section of Mothering, as this section goes by region.  I think this is the right region for you:

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/93/alaska-and-hawaii

I wish you well in your choices--it sounds like you have much going on!! I hope the Mothering community can support you in many ways as you pursue these changes!

#3 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lauren, lovely to be back on the Mothering Forums, used to spend a lot of time here during pregnancy and when my kids were babies.

I will post there, thanks.  Was looking under Canada in "Connect with other moms", but did not see a section for Saskatchewan.

#4 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Just goes to show you what happens when I post before my coffee!! Sorry I linked you to Alaska, I really wasn't awake yet.

My guess is there just hasn't been a lot of demand for Saskatchewan for a 'subforum', but if you start a thread and put that in the title, perhaps some others will come out of the woodwork!!

Did you have a different name when your kids were babies, here on Mothering? 

#5 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

LOL ... it is precisely because of that, that I now have a rule about posting nothing until the coffee has kicked in :D

I used to use AnnieMarie many years ago, but when I tried to reactivate it, I could not remember the password nor the email address - think it was an old work one I no longer have access to, so eventually just created a new one as I was lazy to find the old one ... but I would prefer to reactivate the old one if I could, specially since I signed up with FB for this one and it used my name and surname, which I am not too keen on.

ETA - I just remembered what my password was and managed to log in, would seem my grain free diet has indeed improved my memory ... am going to go back to my old account.

#6 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Oh that's great!! I think admins can merge them for you. If you want, send a message to Cynthia Mosher and give her both account names and see what she can do for  you!

#7 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

cool, thanks will contact her

#8 of 12 Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 AM

are you coming from the US or another province? Saskatchewan education will generally be similar to how things are run in other provinces.

#9 of 12 Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Austin View Post

I would love to hear about schools in SK, specially schools in smaller farming communities as that is where we plan to settle.

Not in SK, rather I'm in BC, but in the rural interior where we have a lot of small schools (K-12s, for example, with student bodies of under 100). What I've noticed as I've got to know details on schools in our region is that the smaller schools are, the more they vary from one to the next. Small differences in administrative style, staffing and community demographics can have a huge effect on the culture of each individual school. The school in our town is incredibly flexible, inclusive and innovative, and has a big focus on outdoor education and social responsibility. However this comes somewhat at the expense of challenging academics and decent university preparation. The school in the next town over is absolutely beautiful architecturally ... a light and airy library is the hub, it's under a forest canopy, the lockers are hand-crafted from wood. It has a wonderful warm feel to it. It has a greater emphasis on academic achievement, but the culture in the classrooms is very traditional, discipline is about detentions, shaming and writing lines. I have a friend who teaches as a sub in both schools (having moved here from Saskatchewan years ago, coincidentally!) and she says she could hardly imagine two schools so different. And yet they're both K-12 schools of under 150 students in communities less than 50 km apart.

The other thing is how quickly things can change in small communities, particularly those experiencing declining enrolment as I suspect most Saskatchewan farming communities are. You may move somewhere that there's a lovely K-12 school, and then the year your eldest is 12, it becomes a K-7 school and the high school kids start getting bused 75 minutes away to a school that provides a totally different experience that you never considered.

So I suspect you'll have to look at the particular schools in the particular communities you're interested in, and keep an eye on the big picture. If you're comfortable with homeschooling, that's great because it'll mean you always have a Plan B. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#10 of 12 Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post

are you coming from the US or another province? Saskatchewan education will generally be similar to how things are run in other provinces.

We are coming from South Africa, so everything is a vast unknown, would love for the kids to go to a Montesorri school, but it will likely be out of our budget as least in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

Not in SK, rather I'm in BC, but in the rural interior where we have a lot of small schools (K-12s, for example, with student bodies of under 100). What I've noticed as I've got to know details on schools in our region is that the smaller schools are, the more they vary from one to the next. Small differences in administrative style, staffing and community demographics can have a huge effect on the culture of each individual school. The school in our town is incredibly flexible, inclusive and innovative, and has a big focus on outdoor education and social responsibility. However this comes somewhat at the expense of challenging academics and decent university preparation. The school in the next town over is absolutely beautiful architecturally ... a light and airy library is the hub, it's under a forest canopy, the lockers are hand-crafted from wood. It has a wonderful warm feel to it. It has a greater emphasis on academic achievement, but the culture in the classrooms is very traditional, discipline is about detentions, shaming and writing lines. I have a friend who teaches as a sub in both schools (having moved here from Saskatchewan years ago, coincidentally!) and she says she could hardly imagine two schools so different. And yet they're both K-12 schools of under 150 students in communities less than 50 km apart.

The other thing is how quickly things can change in small communities, particularly those experiencing declining enrolment as I suspect most Saskatchewan farming communities are. You may move somewhere that there's a lovely K-12 school, and then the year your eldest is 12, it becomes a K-7 school and the high school kids start getting bused 75 minutes away to a school that provides a totally different experience that you never considered.

So I suspect you'll have to look at the particular schools in the particular communities you're interested in, and keep an eye on the big picture. If you're comfortable with homeschooling, that's great because it'll mean you always have a Plan B. 

Miranda

Thanks for all that info Miranda, guess we will have to explore once we are there and see which schools will fit in best with our kids and then look for acreage in that district ... at this stage my 8yo has asked to go to school rather than homeschool, so we will likely be going that route.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#11 of 12 Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this stage my 8yo has asked to go to school rather than homeschool, so we will likely be going that route.
#12 of 12 Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 PM

All schools in SK follow the same curriculum no mater where in t he province you are. There are various school boards in the province. In the rural area, there will be schools from several town in the school board. All schools have a similar funding structure in that schools get x amount of money/student, so students should receive a similar quality of education no mater where they live. It is of course all free, not even really any school fees to pay, like we did in Alberta. Bussing is free if you qualify. You may have to pay a small amount in older grades, for band or things like that. You do pay for school supplies, they are mot provided. Most schools have a parent council to provide input and fundraise. Of course larger schools will have the population to support more variety of programming. In the rural areas you are not going to have a lot of choice. If it is around 1000-2000 people there will only be one school. The smaller the town, the more likely it will be K-12. If bigger, over 5000, you may have 2 schools to choice from, a public and catholic (Catholic schools are also public in the sense there is no cost and funded the same way, just have a Catholic focus). If a bigger community, may also have a French school. You likely won't find a Montessori school unless pretty close to Saskatoon or Regina. I know Saskatoon has 3 or 4 Montessori schools for school aged kids. not sure about anywhere else in the province as haven't looked.

Tags
School , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page