When Should Kids Start Kindergarten (redshirting study) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Dos this vary by state, I wonder? I've definitely known kids (in CA) who started kindergarten at 6 and a half years old.

I can't say what other states do but yes, in CA, starting kids at 6 is common in many areas. There is no rule making red-shirted kids go straight into 1st grade.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

In both CA and MD kids can go to kindy a year later. I'm not sure what happens to kids who are older than that - my guess is that if a whole lot of kids were turning 7 in kindy that districts would start encouraging kids to start 1st grade instead. There is obviously a cut-off but I don't know what that is or how its managed. 

Everyone I've met has made the decision to start kindy based on personal family concerns for childcare needs and on developmental needs of the child during that particular year compared to the expectations of the schools available. I don't know anyone who made the choice to redshirt because they wanted their kids to have a competitive edge over other children (for sports or any other reason).  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#33 of 43 Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to clarify that I was not old.for grade. I skipped kindy, but started first grade on time. I was older than many others because I had a december birthday, but not because of redshirting.

Anyway, I really think it should be what's best for the children, though. All of them. My 4 year old is in a music class with a seven year old who is slightly delayed. It might he good for him, but it certainly isn't for her. He is loud, and a bit of a bully, and she is so much smaller and.younger, it really does interfere with what she is learning. It is a class for 3, 4, and 5 year olds.
#34 of 43 Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Everyone I've met has made the decision to start kindy based on personal family concerns for childcare needs and on developmental needs of the child during that particular year compared to the expectations of the schools available. I don't know anyone who made the choice to redshirt because they wanted their kids to have a competitive edge over other children (for sports or any other reason).  

Unfortunately, it's quite prevalent here in my small community. A personal friend of mine actually redshirted her daughter with a July birthday because she wanted her daughter to be reading before kindergarten. Never mind that the schools here absolutely DO NOT expect readers and kindergarteners typically have a wide spectrum of fluent readers to those who can barely recognize letters and numbers.

CatsCradle likes this.
#35 of 43 Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

Unfortunately, it's quite prevalent here in my small community. A personal friend of mine actually redshirted her daughter with a July birthday because she wanted her daughter to be reading before kindergarten.  

I worry about that on a couple levels, as I'm sure you do too. For one, kids who are too advanced on material being taught will have a negative experience. Also, I'd be worried about just the general idea of a parent wanting their kid to be "better" than other kids - or more advanced than they are. It's just not good way to view our own children. The reality is that we're all pretty darned average and it is just so crappy to be raised  thinking that's not good enough.:( What a bummer that this is common in your community. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#36 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM

My son is a young 5 and started K this year. He was definitely ready. 6 months in, he's doing fine. His teacher is pleased with his performance and he's well behaved and has friends. I did get funny looks when I told others that I wasn't red shirting. Red shirting is very common in Texas.

I don't like how schools are so hung up on you must be x age by x date. DS has lots of friends who missed the cutoff and even though they are doing private K, they will still have to enroll in k at the public school and then take the acceleration test to skip into first.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#37 of 43 Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Red shirting boys is very common where I am. It is pretty much a given that if a boy turns 5 in the summer the parents will wait a whole year and start them late. I actually think it contributes to the kinder is the new first grade. The kids who have been red shirted are really ahead of the other kids, generally are the highest reading group and set the bar for all the kids who are 12 to 14 months younger than them to keep up with...

I understand some kids aren't ready to start on time and that make perfect sense to me, but everyone here seems to do it and the reasons that I hear (where I live) include:

"It will make it easier to excel at high school sports, get scholarships, take extra AP classes in high school, etc." and even 'I think it is good for boy's confidence to be one of the biggest kids in their grade." It very rarely has to do with being ready for kindergarten - where I live it seems much more that the parents are looking for a guarantee their kids won't be average.

Again, I know people who have waited because kids aren't ready for kinder and that makes sense, but as somebody who has a son with a summer birthday who is in 5th grade and didn't start him late - he is absolutely fine. It is actually so strange because he is playing on a baseball team that is age based and three of his teammates have already turned 11 and are in 4th grade and he is 10 and in 5th grade!!!m

There is a book called "Microtrends" that presents an interesting essay on red shirting, I highly recommend it.

limabean and JollyGG like this.
#38 of 43 Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM

The moving of the cut off dates has been a reaction to people holding their kids back from starting school (so they'll be older), yet it still happens. Back when the cut off date was January 1, my husband (born on December 16) was the youngest in his class. He was 17 for an entire semester of college. He was a little immature socially, but otherwise fine.

My youngest daughter has a September 25th birthday and the cut off in our state is Oct. 1.  My EDD for her was Oct 2. She is my third child, and was a repeat section. I told the doctor that I wanted her to have a September birthday- I wanted the decision to  be mine. We started her in Pre-3 one month before her third. Between being a girl and the third child, it was the perfect decision. She is still the youngest in her class, but is thriving academically and socially.

Parents need to take into account to what is best for their child.

#39 of 43 Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Oh how I wish I had held my daughter back a year! Her birthday is in mid-August, so she had just turned 5 when she started kindergarten. She finished the year feeling behind and left out because she was the only one who could not read any words, and didn't know all of her letters (And this was at a "play-based" kindergarten.) I worried that she would continue to lose confidence, and perhaps be pushed toward special ed services if she went into first grade this year, so instead she is repeating kindergarten, at a different school. I feel so bad that she had such a negative experience, both because she was too young, and because kindergarten has become developmentally inappropriate for many children. If I have another child with a summer birthday I will definitely try to find a way for them to start kindergarten (if academic) the following year.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#40 of 43 Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Can she repeat the year? Is she obligated to move up to first grade?

My ds1 is like your child, an August birthday. I have always wanted him to repeat, but they keep telling me its bad for his self esteem. I think it is better to repeat earlier than later as far as self esteem is concerned, because a younger less mature child's self esteem suffers every day they are forced to act older than they are, and to compete with older kids pretending to be the same age.

The third graders join up with the fourth graders this year. My son will be in fourth grade, so for once, he wont be the youngest in the class. I look forward to seeing how his self esteem improves.

My ds2 is a March birthday. He is doing extremely well in school, especially socially. All i can say is, i see the difference first hand as to the impact of one's birthday....
#41 of 43 Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
She is repeating Kindergarten, at a Waldorf school, so it should be an interesting transition. When we visited she was very aware that there were "no words or numbers on the walls." I am pretty sure I could have talked the principal at the charter school where she could go into repeating k there, but she would have seen her whole class from when she attended being in first grade. By starting at another school, I think that there will be less of a self-esteem issue. I explained to her that it is a school where they do things a little differently than the ones she went to last year, and so starting in k will help her to pick everything up more easily, and that she is very young for first. She accepts these explanations, and seems excited by the fact that she will be the oldest in the class.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#42 of 43 Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
That sounds like an excellent solution, radiowave. I really liked the way you explained your reasoning to her.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#43 of 43 Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice job, radiowave!

When my son was in 2nd grade, there was a boy in his class who could barely read. I volunteered in the classroom once in a while, and the teacher had me work with him one on one. He was very adept at diversion, and trying to get me to give him the answers (which I didn't do, of course). Meanwhile, he told me about himself - it didn't sound like he got a lot of support or enrichment at home, or an especially stable home life.

The teacher was one of the best I've ever met. She had been a teacher for many years, and still loved it. The boy repeated second grade, and when we were at "meet the teacher" day in the spring, he boasted to me that he was going to be in Mrs. H's class again, "because she really needs my help!"

Our community has open enrollment. Our neighbors' daughter should have been held back, but wasn't. They opted to have her repeat first grade, but at a different elementary school, so there was no stigma. It was unquestionably the right move for her.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page