- - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

My kids pick up ticks on short-mowed playing field and playground areas at school a few times a year in the city.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

meepycat  were they ever embedded? and did you treat them with antibiotics? or did you find them juts crawling and the kids were fine without antibiotics?

#33 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

-

#34 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Our playground at school borders on a wooded area where deer are known to live. Tick have been found at the school and if necessary are removed by the school nurse with a call home to let them know to just keep an eye out for any rashes.
#35 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There is no real evidence that diatomaceous is earth is effective against ticks.  

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#36 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

-

#37 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My dh got Lyme from a tick in the woods.  My dd got it from a tick in a field. 

If moving schools would protect your child from Lyme, it might make sense to do.  But it won't.  Your kid is most likely to get Lyme during the warm summer months - and school is out for most of those.  You can't keep your child inside all the time - you need to pursue other management strategies.  Your kid's doc will have much better info about Lyme risks and management strategies than a conspiracy video. 

#38 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM

I can't rmemeber brand - I just disposed of leftovers because they were approaching expiration.  I do not use the highest percentage formulation of DEET, but there's a base percentage you need.  I also have used another compound taht has been shown to repel ticks specifically.  There are also sprays that you can use on clothes, and use them on outerwear like jackets, and the outside of the clothes.   There are even speciality clothing from outdoor stores that is impregnated with pyrethrins (the same stuff organic farmers use) that last through multiple washings.  

I then also have a recipe for an herbal combination of rose geranium oil, lemon eucalpytus, cedarwood, and... something else.    I apply that to his shoes and the outside of his hat.  Personally, I put more credence in DEET, pyrethrins, etc, but I am very much of the "cant hurt, might help" when it comes to the herbal thing.

I have not found ticks on him or his sister.  Other than once when he went out without it with friends because I wasn't expecting him to go out.  We successfully removed it with forceps, watched the area and monitored him, and he did not get sick. Even in high Lyme areas, not every tick is a carrier, and they don't even attach firmly for several hours, and they don't begin to backwash until after that.

The infectious disease expert who consulted on my DS's case (because it was, at the time, an unusual occurrence for our area)  said that Lyme detected quickly and treated promptly and appropriately rarely results in long-term issues.   A lot of what people call "Chronic Lyme," in his opinion, is nerve and joint damage from having it for a long time untreated.   So awareness of possible symptoms is definitely important.  

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#39 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM

Adn I've read about tick tubes - those can cut down on the ticks, because it interrupts their life cycle.

(as a side note, if there aren't a lot of deer in the area, your tick count is also going to be lower.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#40 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonenew View Post

The other thing I would also like (if it were up to me) the school to use (we will use these in our yard this year) are tick tubes. the school head said he would "look into it".

http://www.ticktubes.com/

I can't say for sure, but it would surprise me if the school were willing/able to leave tubes of pesticide-soaked cotton lying around their premises.  They have to consider the risk that a young child will pick something up and chew on it.  Your best bet for keeping ticks off your child is to use repellant on your child. 

#41 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

For those of you who live in less rural areas than I do---- do you think your kids have the danger of being exposed to ticks in a real way at their school play areas? If so, how? I mean, if you live in the suburbs and your kids play outside at school. have you found ticks to be a problem there?
Mine are homeschooled but FWIW the only tick I've found this year my little one picked up while on a float in a Mardi Gras parade through downtown! We've been hiking several times since (in the woods) and not found any. The kids and I have gotten them in a public park that's literally surrounded by concrete-built inside an old auto racetrack.
If an area has ticks they can be found anywhere, really. If there are ticks where you live now I don't see how moving 20 mins away would reduce the risk much.
#42 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:

meepycat  were they ever embedded? and did you treat them with antibiotics? or did you find them juts crawling and the kids were fine without antibiotics?

We've had one embedded tick. We removed it with tweezers, and washed with soap and water. We watched for symptoms, but the kiddo was fine, no antibiotics needed.
#43 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

-

#44 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:

the point of moving or changing schools would be to have my kid in a less "wild nature" environment on a daily basis and on a more manicured play area at school.

Those things won't reduce the risk of ticks or tick-borne disease in areas where ticks are endemic. The thing that will reduce that risk is bug repellent.
#45 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:

the point of moving or changing schools would be to have my kid in a less "wild nature" environment on a daily basis and on a more manicured play area at school.

Honestly manicured doesn't mean no ticks. Our lawn is frequently cut with very few trees yet my family has come in with ticks. If they are in your area you must assume that they are everywhere.
#46 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

I am wondering about school though--- what have people's experiences been with their children's tick exposure at school?

As a preschool teacher, I often spent time in the woods with my kids. I've also taught at schools that back up to woods. My son's elementary school playground backs up to a wooded area. Ticks are common here. I've never had a issue. I think experiencing nature is such a valuable experience for children, it's worth the risk. You just have to be alert and check your kids.

Licensing would frown upon tubes of chemicals accessible to children.
#47 of 58 Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I already mentioned up thread that we had tons of ticks at my kids' early elementary school. The teachers used to pack a roll of duct tape when they took the kids out for the seed ticks. I don't know how many ticks I have pulled off my kids, but we usually find some every summer. Our yard is very wooded although we are right in the middle of town. There are a lot of deer in our town and we have a herd that likes to travel through our front yard frequently. Our dogs get ticks, too. They're just a fact of life in our area. One of my best friends had Lyme as did her husband and their daughter. They still go camping and hiking in the woods. I just yank the ticks out with tweezers and put a little neosporin on it and keep an eye on it. I usually tape the tick to an index card and mark it with the date and who it was attached to. (I flush the ones that get on the dogs.) I don't think the doctors will usually test the ticks for Lyme, but having the date marked is helpful for a variety of tick-borne illnesses. We have Lyme, STARI, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever—which can be fatal in a matter of days after contracting it, Erlichiosis, etc., in our area. 

I take precautions, but I don't limit my kids' time in nature because of it. I encourage them to get out in the woods. There are plenty of things out there to worry about, but I just do what I can to mitigate the danger and proceed. We also have tons of mosquitos and they carry disease too. I've read about a new mosquito borne illness found in the Caribbean and most likely headed this way, too.

Car accidents are far more dangerous than ticks or any other pathogen. You do what you can to keep your  family safe in the car and you forge ahead. I know some folks who are car free but I don't think it's due to fear of accidents. I guess someone who was really afraid of car accidents might make the choice to go car free to lessen the chances and you could move house and move schools if Lyme is huge concern for you. For me, it wouldn't be, but YMMV.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#48 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

I feel like you all are being really mean to me. I am sorry if you all also think I am being extreme. I have to follow my own inner beliefs when choosing how to raise my kid. I was not as aware of the dangers of ticks as I am now when we chose our school and house. After some experiences I became a lot more aware. I wish people could offer helpfl advise without all this condescending snark to me. It is really uncalled for! I posted this because I am very stressed about this and need help. not to be open to random ridicule. please be kinder.

I'm sorry you feel that you are being treated unkindly.  I ask this is absolute sincerity: Are you this concerned over say car safety?  Did your dc RF for 3-4 years?  Do you have a FF 5pt harness seat with a 65lb weigh limit?  Will your dc use a BPB booster until close to 100lbs?  I think it's already been pointed out that the risks of riding in a car are greater than the risk of getting Lyme disease.  

Or how about the use of formula?  The risks to the baby are real.  Was that something that caused you great anxiety?  

Many, many families give little to no thought to proper car seat usage.  We all know about the dismal BF rates in this country.  I seriously doubt most people are spending more than a fraction of a second thinking about Lyme disease.  Again, in great sincerity I suggest that the real issue here is your emotional illness and not the real but slim risks of tick-borne disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranhc View Post

If having your child play out side often/spend time in nature is considered "a danger beyond your comfort level" I would highly recommend seeking some sort of professional counseling and researching additional tick repellent options. It seems like you have out of control anxiety over an unnecessary issue. Lyme is totally serious and I would never wish it upon anyone however I wouldn't avoid the woods/any/every single place a tick could possibly be because of it nor would I spend this amount of time/energy worrying about it. Seriously. Anxiety is draining, trust me I've been there. You sound like an awesome mom for caring about your child so much, don't let the stress/anxiety take over your life. 

Yes, yes, YES to all of the above.

Quote:

For those of you who live in less rural areas than I do---- do you think your kids have the danger of being exposed to ticks in a real way at their school play areas? If so, how? I mean, if you live in the suburbs and your kids play outside at school. have you found ticks to be a problem there?

I do believe that ds is at risk of picking up a tick at school.  A few months ago I was leaving the office at lunch time and my other ds and I saw a huge coyote right in the parking lot.  The last coyote seen here in town was captured and found to be rabid.  I ran in to tell the office staff and then sort of forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

I live in the suburbs and find ticks on my dog and sometimes my daughters every summer. You cannot assume that a less woody location will completely protect him from exposure to ticks.

I have an indoor dog, a poodle, who gets combed out regularly and last week I still somehow managed to not see a tick in her ear until it was fit to burst.  She only goes out long enough to pee and then wants to come right back in.  It happens.  I couldn't imagine telling ds not to go out and play due to worry over ticks, and yes we have whole herds (flocks?) of deer in our immediate vicinity.

Quote:

another thing I read about is sprinkling diatomaceous earth on the play areas- I am not sure but have been told it kills ticks but is harmless for people.

I suggested this to the school and they were dismissive.

Diatomaceous earth is super cheap in bulk on ebay.  I think it would make you feel better if you bought some and applied it yourself.  

Bring back the old MDC
#49 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Not sure it is legal to alter school property. I would be very hesitant to spread a powdery substance over the playground without permission. Just sayin'.
#50 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I think that everyone is being extremely disrespectful. Someonenew, I think that you should look into other schools, as well as natural bug repellent. when I was a child I never got ticks or lived in a tick popular place, but for mosquitos and flies my mother used a natural bug repellent on me and nothing bad ever happened. I totally think that you should try to relax just a bit. maybe keep your child home from school from a few days to a week while you look into your options. (natural bug repellent, changing schools, homeschooling if you don't work out of home etc.)

I support you, mama, as I know that your child's health is the most important thing right now.

let me know how it works out!

with love and support, Naturemama23.

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), and DD 2 (1 day old) by home water birth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#51 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

Not sure it is legal to alter school property. I would be very hesitant to spread a powdery substance over the playground without permission. Just sayin'.

I agree. I wouldn't feel comfortable spreading any substance, regardless of how safe I felt, on property that I didn't own where large numbers of children play regularly. Seems too risky to me.
#52 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 PM

I think you are correct to be concerned about the possibility of tick exposure at your child's school. But as your own experience showed, the school probably won't be eager to make changes. So, you have to make the decision that is the best for your child.

Are you familiar with insect shield clothing? You can get socks, pants, shirts, etc, made of specially treated cloth that is highly effective at keeping ticks at bay. That's one approach. Here is a link to an article I wrote (geared towards adults) about how to protect yourself from ticks while spending time outdoors. Perhaps something there will resonate with you. 

http://lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/protect-yourself-from-ticks.html

Some of the Lyme advocacy organizations have educational materials targeted to schools and camps. Contact me at [email protected] for more information.

#53 of 58 Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

-

#54 of 58 Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I  think most of us are being very respectful. I think we are experienced parents with experience with both anxiety and ticks. I have outlined my experience. Savithny has outlined her experience. There is danger out there in the world. I can't imagine stopping building a house in the middle because of anxiety about ticks, but you should do what you feel best. 

You are belittling all of us and being disrespectful to all of us by saying things like this:

Quote:

But I know I certainly don't like any of them . . . and do not value their snarkiness nor their blase mean snarky lame opinions, and  I imagine they must find some weird joy in being randomly mean to a concerned new-ish mom. (maybe it makes people feel better about themselves to be mean and snarky?) sheesh.

We are experienced parents who are taking our time out to tell our stories to help you through this issue. If you just wanted us to agree with you then you came to the wrong place. Mothering.com is "the home for natural family living". This isn't the place to find folks who would say that they think you should keep your child out of nature. We'll tell you reasonable precautions you should put in place to safely enjoy nature, but if you want advice on avoiding nature entirely that's probably another website out there somewhere. Even the most ardent anti-Lyme websites out there that I have seen don't advocate avoiding going in the woods. They just advocate what you can do to protect yourself and educate yourself about the risks.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#55 of 58 Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

-

#56 of 58 Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherFamily View Post

Yeah, I didn't think of it in that way.  Maybe the OP could offer to pay for the DE and see if the school would be willing to do the work.

However, it does appear that she has decided to sell her house and move to a school with less outdoor time, so...

Bring back the old MDC
#57 of 58 Old 03-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I  think most of us are being very respectful. I think we are experienced parents with experience with both anxiety and ticks. I have outlined my experience. Savithny has outlined her experience. There is danger out there in the world. I can't imagine stopping building a house in the middle because of anxiety about ticks, but you should do what you feel best. 

You are belittling all of us and being disrespectful to all of us by saying things like this:

We are experienced parents who are taking our time out to tell our stories to help you through this issue. If you just wanted us to agree with you then you came to the wrong place. Mothering.com is "the home for natural family living". This isn't the place to find folks who would say that they think you should keep your child out of nature. We'll tell you reasonable precautions you should put in place to safely enjoy nature, but if you want advice on avoiding nature entirely that's probably another website out there somewhere. Even the most ardent anti-Lyme websites out there that I have seen don't advocate avoiding going in the woods. They just advocate what you can do to protect yourself and educate yourself about the risks.

Very we'll put.
#58 of 58 Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM

I think there's probably some kind of solution that involves a combination of insect-shield clothing, bug repellant, and getting help for your anxiety and does not involve selling a house in the middle of construction, driving half an hour to and from school, or moving out of the high Lyme danger region (which stretches from Maryland to Maine). 

I love cities, and we lived in one for a long time - great resources, great services, and (if you're in the right area) public transportation that makes places more walkable, livable, and environmentally friendly.  But having lived in a city with a young child, and then in the suburbs also with a young child, I think moving to a more urban area where there is less grass is unlikely to get you away from Lyme ticks and has other significant drawbacks. 

Tags
School

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page