Join Date: May 2005
Location: #12 Grimmauld Place
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I haven't dealt with this before. I am referring to whatever they might do to determine if she qualifies for gifted ed programs or any other accomodations.
Our current school does not offer a gifted program. They are open enrolled, and we are considering moving. We moved last year. At our previous school, it appeared a lot of children tested into the gifted program and moved at the end of second grade. Occasionally first, but usually second.
From what I am hearing from her teacher, who has been excellent at keeping me "in the loop" probably 80% of her refusals are related to not wanting to participate in an activity she considers to be boring or repetitive. The other 20% are varied, peer-related stuff, not wanting to stop something she is absorbed in, maybe 5% of the time, probably less, it is actually being challenged and being upset over it being difficult.
She doesn't argue about going to school and seems to enjoy it. She LOVES art day.
She is limited to simple readers and stories at school and mostly chooses to read Magic Tree House and occasionally other chapter books at home. She does sometimes read simpler picture books and likes to be read to, but mostly chooses chapters--like I said, big fan of Magic Tree House.
She willingly does her homework and it appears to be easy for her.
She does have an extra 5 spelling words beyond the simple list. maybe 1-2 times she misspelled a word on the regular list. The extra words actually challenge her, but are not graded, which is good, IMO.
She does some challenge work with a para, like I said, which takes her out of most of her reading time. It includes reading and writing activities mostly and some things that challenge logical thinking skills. She enjoys that.
Writing stories is her absolute favorite, probably because it can be as complex as she wants it to be, and she gets to draw, which she also loves.
Her teacher is really great about challenging her and about holding her accountable for her work at any level. (She has to finish any work she pouted over having to do before she can start her much-loved art projects on Friday.)
I mostly wanted to know if this was the year to reconsider our options or to ask a district we might move to about what might qualify her for a gifted program.